LOSW Location For Sale

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
This is the station at Brockholes used in The Flag and Further Snags where Foggy collects his flag, it is up for sale at £400,000, it has 4 bedrooms and is still a working line though only a single track these days,details here http://yorkshiresfinest.org/property/3383225

station100.jpg

Far as I can tell, the 400k buys both the RR station AND a
4-bedroom station-master's house. But it sounds like the
station is still in service. So if you buy it, do you become
the station master??

Far as I can tell, the 400k buys both the RR station AND a 4-bedroom station-master's house. But it sounds like the station is still in service. So if you buy it, do you become the station master??

Only the platform is in service, not the station. The National Rail Enquiries site discribes the 'station' as unstaffed with no facilities other than a shelter and a few seats. This seems to have been a two-track line, but the track adjacent to the station buildings has been removed, leaving only the track on the town side of the line, so people living in those buildings wouldn't be bothered by passengers. They would be bothered by trains about every hour from 6:36 in the morning until nearly midnight, though.

Marianna

Its on the line from Huddersfield to Sheffield very quiet part of the world as to train noise not a problem its only local services,Pacers and smaller dmu,s stop ffor approx. one minute and then gone.Useful for going to Huddersfield or the Metro Centre at Sheffield and of course for getting the bus to Holmfirth ! The scenery around here is lovely woods and valleys this line is a ride on .

Its on the line from Huddersfield to Sheffield very quiet part of the world as to train noise not a problem its only local services,Pacers and smaller dmu,s stop ffor approx. one minute and then gone.Useful for going to Huddersfield or the Metro Centre at Sheffield and of course for getting the bus to Holmfirth ! The scenery around here is lovely woods and valleys this line is a ride on .

That would be good for Compo , . . he always gets lost in Sheffield . .lol
Thank you for the picture. I see our Three marching to the door right now.

So does that mean the station is actually used (even tho closed) for passengers to get on and off? Is there parking? Is there a place to sit and wait??

The 'station' consists of a single platform across the line from the former station building and station master's house. There's a shelter similar to a bus shelter on the platform for some protection from the weather and there are a few seats nearby. See the photos @ http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_BHS/plan.html. Float your cursor over the plan until a thumbnail photo and text is displayed. Click to isolate the photo, then click on the photo to display an enlargement.

The stone building just visible in the left middle ground of the platform photo appears to belong to one of the residential properties adjacent to the platform and fronting on Ridings Fields, not one of the station buildings. They're on the other side of the line, adjacent to the area from which the track has been removed, approached from Brockholes Lane.

The Northern Rail Metro service from Huddersfield to Sheffield stops at Brockholes hourly from 6:22 AM to 10:30 PM. The service in the other direction stops there hourly from 6:36 AM to 11:43 PM. See the timetable @ http://www.wymetro.com/uploadedFiles/WYMetro/Content/TrainTravel/traintimetables/Penistone.pdf. There's no parking at or near the station, and the bus stops are in the center of town, about a quarter mile away.

Marianna

Always wanted to buy a closed railway station but they are always expensive,this one has a very pleasant look and has been looked after .I cant see that the service will increase primarily due to there being a lot of single track and with the new franchise might be forced to cut the service because of financial cuts by the government.There is a film of this line and shows the area to advantage,the coal mining has gone so the grime has gone and the green taken over.Also there are some nice pubs to visit and the locals are friendly expect for Nora !

And there is a monthly ale train - music and beer on offer on the train.

So does that mean the station is actually used (even tho closed)
for passengers to get on and off? Is there parking? Is there
a place to sit and wait??

I think Marianna has given you a comprehensive reply but just to point out that the platform in the original photograph is the one NOT used by the local trains, this is the one with the track lifted.

Always wanted to buy a closed railway station but they are always expensive,this one has a very pleasant look and has been looked after .I cant see that the service will increase primarily due to there being a lot of single track and with the new franchise might be forced to cut the service because of financial cuts by the government.There is a film of this line and shows the area to advantage,the coal mining has gone so the grime has gone and the green taken over.Also there are some nice pubs to visit and the locals are friendly expect for Nora !

Although I can see the logic of cutting services to a rail operator and possibly a government as this line has a Community Rail Partnership (CRP) any closure or even lessening of services would be difficult. I am part of such a CRP (Leeds-Morecambe) and we take comfort that this does mean there is some protection as the latest consultation documents on the new franchises is mooting the idea of what is known as bustitution - substituting a bus for a train. Many of us remember how successful that was in 1963 - 1967 following the closures arising from the Beeching Axe - in other words NOT! The substitute buses ran for a year or so and then were removed leaving many rural areas with exceptionally poor public transport.

I think Marianna has given you a comprehensive reply but just to point out that the platform in the original photograph is the one NOT used by the local trains, this is the one with the track lifted.

If I owned that property, the first thing I'd do would be to install an attractive wrought-iron railing along the edge of that platform. It looks like a bad fall waiting to happen. I'm surprised that the railroad hasn't fenced it off to keep pedestrians away from the track.

Marianna

Index4U That wont happen as the rail companies spend as little as possible and local government is the same ,but the fact that there is no fencing could be down to planning restrictions and nobody bothering to go out there.The new Northern franchise documents are worrying as many people could lose their services plus what is going to happen to the Pacers (a fine piece of botched rolling stock if the was any).They would notdo this to the home counties but lets hope things improve as scence takes over.Like the Morcambe line have a dvd Leeds to Heysham interesting part of the world ,I travelled on it in the late seventies went to Steamtown at Carnforth a good day out.:16:

.... plus what is going to happen to the Pacers (a fine piece of botched rolling stock if the was any).....the Morecambe line have a ... Leeds to Heysham i...

Yes the daily Leeds-Heysham is one of the few boat trains left in the UK, connecting with an Isle of Man ferry. And what rolling stock - typically a Pacer. Bus body on a truck underframe but they have had at least three new engines, improved suspension and other "improvement" over the last 20 years or so. Meant to be gone by 2020 as not compliant with disability requirements, but there are no obvious replacements that are diesel powered.

And the four wheel design really squeals round the tight curve at Carnforth.

Back