Lol or cringe moments

You're right, the car scene was Dream Acres. The car itself was a Citroen 2CV, and as Milburn once said, "It's French."
Thanks for that,I love the scenes with Milburn in,when Nora first sees the car she stares at it in disbelief and shouts at him “ Is it safe .”
I watched a scene yesterday where he is listening to music on some headphones outside the cafe and after several Milburns from Ivy which he didn’t hear,she smacks him hard across the back of the head and he cowers in the shop,such a simple thing but it made me laugh.
Almost all the wives in LOTSW are like this,I remember Hobbo once describing good old Yorkshire wives as hard and vicious,or something of that nature,when June Whitfield joined the show,although I liked Nellie,I would have preferred her to return as the domineering aggressive wife we saw in Potts in pole position,she could have moved in next door to Alvin in Nora‘s house having left Mr Potts (Warren Mitchell) to explore,having said that,the lady that moved into Nora’s house her sister,I would have preferred also if she was the character she played when she was Lenny from the pickle factory’s wife,another domineering Yorkshire wife,we could have had a whole new group of them complaining about men in the cafe or one of their houses,and even better if Bobby Ball had become a regular as Lenny her husband,I never thought we saw enough of him,I think he was in three episodes,I may be wrong,but I enjoyed them all,he could even played a major role as one of the team.
Thanks everyone for some great moments and memories x

One of Wally's all time best lines.......when Nora complains that Compo "LEERED" at her and said to him "aren't you going to say something ?" Mr.Henpecked comes out with the most fantastic response....." I CAN ONLY MARVEL AT THE QUIRKYNESS OF HIS TASTE"...comedy gold !!!
I love Wally MoodyBlue,some of the best scenes are when Compo is leering at Nora and she fetches him out shouting “ Well do something,are you going to let him speak to me like that” and he just looks at Compo downbeat and says “ Owdo Comp” and they start a conversation about pigeons or whatever,and I love how she always ragged him about,she loved him really,in one of the Christmas ones on the tv recently she is having a drink of Sherry with Ivy and she smiles at his photo on the mantelpiece and says how much she missed him,I think she’d mellowed a bit with age though,take care mate,
Chuffer x

In Small Tune on a Penny Wassail Nora and Wally are talking about her Uncle Dudley with Wally saying he isn't funny when he tells a joke but how he laughed when Dudley broke his leg but then he utters the immortal line " Why don't you sit down Nora you've been on your Mouth all day !" :)
Some great scenes captain,and some of my very favourite are with Nora and Wally,Wally was very brave on that occasion,I’m sure in one of the scenes in the cafe Compo and Foggy are exchanging insults and Compo says Eeurgh look at his face,he’s got a face like Uncle Dudleys donkey,I may be completely wrong,but if not maybe he was known to everyone as Uncle,much like Auntie Wainwrigh,if so I would have liked to have seen Uncle Dudley make an appearance or two,with Wally,
Thanks captain x

Nora in the episode Green Fingers When she asks if they have a phone in the pub then comes back with a bemused look on her face saying a carrot is using it :21:
I honestly can’t even place that episode let alone scene lotsw1984,which I can’t believe as I’m constantly watching them,will definitely look out for that episode and scene,I can vaguely remember them taking a big carrot down off a wall and carrying it so I must have seen it,thankyou.

she is having a drink of Sherry with Ivy and she smiles at his photo on the mantelpiece and says how much she missed him,I think she’d mellowed a bit with age

I think the older ladies like Nora, Ivy and Edie all had deep affection for their respective husbands but they are of an era where it was never to be admitted or shown in public . I think Roy Clarke was purveying the hard lives ladies of this ilk endured especially "Up North" just think of the grimness of those old films like Saturday Night, Sunday Morning .

I think the older ladies like Nora, Ivy and Edie all had deep affection for their respective husbands but they are of an era where it was never to be admitted or shown in public . I think Roy Clarke was purveying the hard lives ladies of this ilk endured especially "Up North" just think of the grimness of those old films like Saturday Night, Sunday Morning .
You’ve got it exactly right there captain

It was one of those shows where the women go off somewhere in the countryside to clean an old bachelor's house. Afterward, they go to a restaurant where I think that Howard and Marina have gone where they think no one will see them. The cringe moment comes when the ladies are walking into the restaurant and it appears that they (acting) momentarily lost focus. Anyway, something seems to be off, just for a moment.

It was one of those shows where the women go off somewhere in the countryside to clean an old bachelor's house. Afterward, they go to a restaurant where I think that Howard and Marina have gone where they think no one will see them. The cringe moment comes when the ladies are walking into the restaurant and it appears that they (acting) momentarily lost focus. Anyway, something seems to be off, just for a moment.
I know the episode but not sure what it’s called Adanor,I’ll look out for that thanks,the only other cringe moment for me apart from the Eli lookalike is Hobbo with the chicken in his coat and the photo of it in his wallet,but that didn’t last long thankfully,the cringe or scenes falling flat are very very few,outweighed by the many thousands of moments,lines and scenes that bring us happiness and make us laugh out loud,thankyou for the replies everyone x

I know the episode but not sure what it’s called Adanor,I’ll look out for that thanks,the only other cringe moment for me apart from the Eli lookalike is Hobbo with the chicken in his coat and the photo of it in his wallet,but that didn’t last long thankfully,the cringe or scenes falling flat are very very few,outweighed by the many thousands of moments,lines and scenes that bring us happiness and make us laugh out loud,thankyou for the replies everyone x
Perfection - Thy Name Is Ridley

Does anyone have a line,or a scene,or a moment that no matter how many times you see it it makes you laugh as if you were watching it for the first time,a line Seymour mentioned in a reply on a bicycle thread made me think there are lots really,he mentioned the line where PC Walsh says to Howard when he is pushing his bike along with Pearl
” Not see you with this one before”
Also from Howard when he’s leaving home because he thinks Eva is moving in with him
”Somethings coming in the morning and it’s not the postman”
And I don’t know the episode but Fifi the poodle is missing and when the trio are laid on the grass bank Compo spots it and says something like
”Someone’s made a right bog up of shearing that sheep”
And of course from the episode where I got my fifteen minutes of fame where the vicious Margaret Thatcher looking wife says about Compo
”There’s a tramp at the door”
There really are too many to mention in this brilliant programme but does anyone have any cringe moments,where a scene just doesn’t work or a line falls flat,I can only think of one for me,I don’t know the name of the episode but I think Cleggy is upstairs writing his memoirs and doesn’t want to come out,and a crowd ends up around his window and for some reason a man is asked to leave and he comes towards camera dressed exactly like Eli and says something like
”It’s only because I’m French”
Thats a one off in 37 years though,I watch at least one episode a day and absolutely love them,I hope you don’t mind me posting and asking this,being new.
Take care everyone,Chuffer x

Great topic, Chuffer! Really got me thinking. Too much, infact. I suddenly realised how many lines there were that make me laugh over and over again.

Like you, I enjoy the 'there's a tramp at the door' line (and Compo's subsequent reply) from Whoops. I also enjoy many of the Nora and Wally interactions. One of my favourites is:

Nora: You used to like my company once.

Wally: Oh aye, once....but I've got it all the time now.

Always makes me laugh. As does Foggy's line in Cheering Up Gordon when he talks about Compo (and his ferret) getting them thrown out of the church service.

Foggy: I'll sink him without trace if he fetches those furry little hooligans out again.

Compo: They've got to have a bit of exercise.

Foggy: That's not what the vicar thought when he saw them climbing up his reredos.

I find this particularly funny as I went to a pretty religious primary school and would have given anything to have seen that during Communion. Lol

As for cringewortthy moments, I can't put my finger on any at the moment. Then again, being a fan of Classic Sci-fi (particularly Doctor Who), I am well exposed to that sort of thing, so anything LOTSW could throw up would barely raise an eyebrow with me.

Love, Stephen Xxx

Great topic, Chuffer! Really got me thinking. Too much, infact. I suddenly realised how many lines there were that make me laugh over and over again.

Like you, I enjoy the 'there's a tramp at the door' line (and Compo's subsequent reply) from Whoops. I also enjoy many of the Nora and Wally interactions. One of my favourites is:

Nora: You used to like my company once.

Wally: Oh aye, once....but I've got it all the time now.

Always makes me laugh. As does Foggy's line in Cheering Up Gordon when he talks about Compo (and his ferret) getting them thrown out of the church service.

Foggy: I'll sink him without trace if he fetches those furry little hooligans out again.

Compo: They've got to have a bit of exercise.

Foggy: That's not what the vicar thought when he saw them climbing up his reredos.

I find this particularly funny as I went to a pretty religious primary school and would have given anything to have seen that during Communion. Lol

As for cringewortthy moments, I can't put my finger on any at the moment. Then again, being a fan of Classic Sci-fi (particularly Doctor Who), I am well exposed to that sort of thing, so anything LOTSW could throw up would barely raise an eyebrow with me.

Love, Stephen Xxx
Stephen I am so sorry mate that it has taken this long to reply,I think I had better put a post up to explaining my absence,you have quoted some really funny lines there,thankyou so much,there are countless lines aren’t there,thankyou for the reply and I will be back soon xx

Back