cciaffone

Dedicated Member
So just got up to where the Co-op is shown in
episodes.

Previously, Marina worked at Lodges, but I cannot
figure out where Lodges is or was. Certainly not the
building where the Co-op is now.

Ideas???

Wasn't it in some building that spanned the river? Seems like that is what the locations link page on the main site page indicates.

Lodges was in the bus station car park opposite the cafe square,the building sat empty for several years,I think it is a trendy cafe/wine bar these days

See http://www.theguardian.com/society/pictures/image/0,9731,-11005354041,00.html.

I don't know when the photo was taken, but the building doesn't look derelict in the Google Map image taken in May of 2011.

The Wikipedia article says, "The former Lodge's supermarket building had been sitting empty in the heart of the town since the Co-op moved to new premises in Crown Bottom. Lodge's was built in the 1970s by the prominent local grocery company. It was opened by Radio 1 DJ Tony Blackburn and occupied an unusual location over the River Holme beside the town's small bus station. Lodge's was bought in the 1990s by Co-operative Retail Services who eventually closed the store down in 1997, after investing in a brand new £2m supermarket for the town. Local residents, led by the Holme Valley Business Association, campaigned for its demolition. Their campaign was featured in the 2005 Channel 4 documentary, Demolition. The building has since undergone extensive modernisation into several smaller shops, with some accommodation on the top floor."

That article was last modified last month, but there's no way to tell which topic was edited. Might not have been the above paragraph.

Marianna

A few years back it was hoped to salvage some of the studio sets and set them up on the top floor of this building,as a tourist attraction,I suspect the BBC scrapped them before there was a chance to save them

That was the plan. It might have generated enough traffic into the building to attract viable retail outlets to lease the remaining space.

In Last of the Summer Wine - From the Director's Chair, on page 235 of the NOOK edition, Alan Bell writes, "... I was comforted to have the BBC's agreement that our sets would be offered to Holmfirth to set up a bigger museum. However, due to a delay caused by the death of the man who was providing the transport, the sets were destroyed, which left a bad taste in the town."

Marianna

Lodges was in the bus station car park opposite the cafe square,the building sat empty for several years,I think it is a trendy cafe/wine bar these days

Opposite the Cafe is the Old Bridge and the Theater.

Still lost. On SW looks pretty big with an arched way.

It's roughly opposite the Church square. The entrance on the bus station end of the building is directly behind Stand D. The entrance on Huddersfield Road is nearly opposite the intersection with Hightown Lane. The decorative arched effect is in front of the Huddersfield Road entrance. That must have changed since Lodges closed, though, because the name "Riverside" is incorporated in the metal-work shown on Google Earth.

When I've seen episodes showing the exterior, I've sometimes wondered if the actual setting was a Lodges in a different town, because I couldn't quite reconcile what I was seeing on TV with what I had seen in Google Earth street view.

Marianna

Last edited:
Opposite the Cafe is the Old Bridge and the Theater.

Still lost. On SW looks pretty big with an arched way.

By opposite it is to the right of the Old Bridge in the right hand corner of the bus station, it is marked on the maps section,I also think they used another lodges shop for some filming,not sure where that one was

Lodges Building

This is a screen shot from Google Street View. It appears to look like the picture in the link that Marianna sent. When this photo was shot, they were standing in front of the Holmfirth post office.

Attachments

• Lodges.jpg
    Lodges.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 32
This is the back of the building entered off the Huddersfield Road,
and is almost always empty and untenanted. Isn't this where
they are going to put a Sainsbury's?? In any case this does
look nothing like the Lodges that we see in SW.

This is the back of the building entered off the Huddersfield Road,
and is almost always empty and untenanted. Isn't this where
they are going to put a Sainsbury's?? In any case this does
look nothing like the Lodges that we see in SW.

Different episodes have different lodges,I have just done a quick google and found another which I think was used and from this screen grab,I recall a episode where Howard is talking to Marina at the till,he looks out and Pearl is waiting for him,he dashes around the block and meets up with Pearl.I think this is also the one where Eli takes a note from Barry and gives it to the wrong person

LS.jpg

Did the Co-operative Food buy Lodges out completely? If so, when?

Marianna

Not sure when this happened and I suspect they bought the whole group, a bit ironic as the co-op are in trouble themselves,so they may have another name over the door one day soon, our local stores have been sold, the smaller village ones are still co-op but the two major town stores have been sold

There was a Lodges in Brighouse, but that would have been some distance from their normal filming places. But have just checked there was one in Meltham which would have been geographically suitable.

Back