Locations: As they are today

Thanks again Marianne. Considering your in America you know a lot about the layout of Holmfirth. Thanks for your comments about my images, I have been a photographer for many years specializing in landscapes mainly but due to my interest and knowlegde in the film and tv industry the two go together quite well.
Anyway will upload some more soon, Dave..

Thanks Marianna for your info ill be able to get that shot now. Any idea where the hill is, to get the view thats at the end of Getting Sam Home and Foggy falls over with the earn. Brenda would like to see an up todate shot of that from that location. Please let me know if you have any idea

I have no idea where the scene was filmed. It isn't on the Summerwine map, but Terry might know anyway.

Thanks again Marianne. Considering your in America you know a lot about the layout of Holmfirth. Thanks for your comments about my images, I have been a photographer for many years specializing in landscapes mainly but due to my interest and knowlegde in the film and tv industry the two go together quite well.
Anyway will upload some more soon, Dave..

I've spent far too much time wandering around Holmfirth in Google Earth! It's to the point that when I was there for a few days in September, I walked around the back streets very confidently without a map and didn't feel even the least bit disoriented or lost.

There's a supposed footpath that I didn't have the nerve, or wasn't sufficiently dedicated to the series, to risk attempting, though. It comes down into Victoria Park from Binns Lane. The top end appears well-trodden, contained by a fence on the left and a hedge on the right. I looked up it from the bottom, in Victoria Park, and it appeared badly washed out. It's very heavily shaded at that point, so it probably seldom dries. If you're sufficiently sure-footed to walk very uneven ground without risking injury, I'd love to know if it's a bad as I thought.

Binns Lane-Victoria Park footpath.jpg
Here's another Google Earth screenshot showing the path. It's the narrow, pale grey line starting on Binns Lane just under the S in "Start" and coming out into Victoria Park where I've marked "End".

We see our trio headed for the bottom end of the path at the beginning of The Inventor of the Forty-foot Ferret, and apparently having just exited the bottom of the path as they head into the park near the end of the episode. I'm sure the actors or their doubles didn't actually walk up the path, but if it isn't as bad as it looks, I'd someday like to follow their supposed footsteps.

I'm a wanna-be landscape photographer, but my aptitude seems to be more for journalistic kinds of images, rather than for artistic ones. What all the photography holiday leaders I've known sneeringly refer to as "record shots".

Marianna ill try and fit in walking the path to Victoria park and ill let you know the condition. Thanks again for all the info and help. Photography is very much a personal thing and you must do want you want, dont let anyone say its wrong to do something you enjoy. Lifes too short to listen to pesamistics

View attachment 1064 Here for Dennis is the famous Comp. o's and Nora's houses location which is now a museum and a cafe. Nora's is also a self catering establishment. Imagine that, able to go where no COMPO has been. The image doesnt show Nora's as good as id like so on my next visit Ill take an image from a different angle.

There is an article in a couple of the papers today , Nora's House is still up for sale and has been on the market since 2006 . It still has the original features in the Kitchen . It is being sold as a rental business rather than a a home the chap who bought it paid £80000 in 2004 and has a guide price of £169,950 . I imagine there a plenty of people who would like to rent it out apparently the expected rental is £500 per week .

The article is in the Daily Mail online today ,amongst the usual dross articles about the Z listers striving for fame, should anyone wish to read it . One point of interest, in the article says it is near famous LOTSW sites like the White Horse pub . Whilst I love walking I don't think it would be an easy hike to go from Nora's to the pub ,not quite your local if you bought the house.

We have often walked a path from Binn's Lane down to Victoria
Park. Can't be much longer than a block or two. Flat and rugged,
but we had no probs. Used to be a barking dog somewhere
along the way, but no troubles. It's not all that far that I would
think it difficult. Certainly not enuff to call it a hiking path. Yes,
ruts along the way, but not so bad.

Thanks for the info cciaffone. Ill see what the paths like and report back. Cheers for now

Another image taken last year. This time the view from Victoria Park, Holmfirth towards Lower Mill Road and New Fold area's, I think!!View attachment 1069

In this picture I can see the house we rented for a view days last year when we went to see Crusher in the Cafe, it's called Church View, it is lower left in the picture, the modern building just above the sloping roof, a really nice place to stay if you are spending a few days in Holmfirth, it also has private parking which is a boon so close to the town

Hi All still no further forward with identifying the hill that is used at the end of 'Getting Sam Home'. If anyone can enlighten me I would very much appreciate it. Dont want to let Brenda down

Hi All still no further forward with identifying the hill that is used at the end of 'Getting Sam Home'. If anyone can enlighten me I would very much appreciate it. Dont want to let Brenda down

So little detail to go on, it could be anywhere, next time I speak to Alan Bell I will ask him if he remembers

One of the many pubs used in the series, just around the corner from Compo's and Nora's houses in Holmfirth. Its not changed much at all and tbe surrounding area is still as it was when seen in various scenes. Not had a drink in there, so not sure if interior is as seen in the episodes. Cheers, Daverps20160504_162522.jpg

One of the many pubs used in the series, just around the corner from Compo's and Nora's houses in Holmfirth. Its not changed much at all and tbe surrounding area is still as it was when seen in various scenes. Not had a drink in there, so not sure if interior is as seen in the episodes. Cheers, DaveView attachment 1075

The Pub had a major refurbishment last year is this picture before Daveg

View attachment 1070

This is the spot you're looking for (screen shot from Google Earth). The street sign on the left at the bottom of the lane reads "New Fold leading to Goose Green". This view is from Hollowgate, with your back to Victoria Square.

The picture you have from Google Earth is excellent. Wow, the difference. Thanks Marianna. Thats it Dave.

Thanks Brenda, am off to Holmfirth at weekend for a few days. Its our wedding anniversary and we decided that we get so much out of LOTSW that we should spend time their and visit a few locations. We are stopping in a hotel in the centre of Holmfirth, so it will be good to just walk and location sight.
Cheers for now
Dave

Back