List of edited episodes

goodiesguy

Dedicated Member
What episodes are edited on the DVD's?

As of yesterday they're airing Summer Wine over here from the start! and I've now got a nice interlaced digital copy of the Pilot which I'm gonna restore (or at least color correct the outdoor scenes) and put on youtube.

I know the next three episodes (first 3 of Series 1) are missing the end credits so I'll get those, and The Loxely Lozenge is missing a scene with Crusher.

Am I missing anything out?

Wow, that restoration looks great.

These are later on in seasons 14 and 16, don't know if you want them or not but
Ordeal By Trousers is missing Compo singing "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself A Letter" right before Foggy 'dances.' And
Adopted By A Stray is missing the part where Compo sings "Singing In The Rain" and "Stormy Weather" when Nora dumps the water on him. It seems like there's another one, but can't think of it now.

Wow, that restoration looks great.

I'm gonna put it up on youtube now (I've finished it already. I also have the mpeg-2 if anyone needs it to burn to disc so they have the complete episode on dvd).

I ended up tweaking the indoor segments too, as they had a slight yellow tinge. The whole thing looks great now. At least, as great as it can be considering it's 40 year old videotape.

These are later on in seasons 14 and 16, don't know if you want them or not but
Ordeal By Trousers is missing Compo singing "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself A Letter" right before Foggy 'dances.' And
Adopted By A Stray is missing the part where Compo sings "Singing In The Rain" and "Stormy Weather" when Nora dumps the water on him. It seems like there's another one, but can't think of it now.

Hmm, that's odd, all of those are complete and appear fully on the Region 4 dvd sets.

Last edited:
Any idea why the beeb would block the one and not the other??

Just the low quality? The tri-partite factor??

I mean ... they are both the same SW show and all...

Any idea why the beeb would block the one and not the other??

Just the low quality? The tri-partite factor??

I mean ... they are both the same SW show and all...

I think that the 10 minute "excerpts" are exempt but to allow it in two 15 min chunks and not the 30 min does seem strange. Perhaps their detection software only works with a complete programme.

I'm gonna put it up on youtube now (I've finished it already. I also have the mpeg-2 if anyone needs it to burn to disc so they have the complete episode on dvd).

I ended up tweaking the indoor segments too, as they had a slight yellow tinge. The whole thing looks great now. At least, as great as it can be considering it's 40 year old videotape.

Hmm, that's odd, all of those are complete and appear fully on the Region 4 dvd sets.

I apologize. I Posted this late at night and realized after I went to bed you were in a different region. The US videos (Region 1) are missing those things plus the opening in Elegy For Fallen Wellies. I suppose it's copy-write laws for those songs.

I realized it because you mentioned Crusher's scene not being in Loxley Lozenge. That scene is in the US region 1 DVD.

I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but KylerRob, who's got quite a few LOTSW videos on YouTube, recently posted a video saying he's been contacted by the BBC and basically threatened with legal aciton if he puts any more up. So I think they are slowly cracking down on whats up there, though they haven't yet pulled any of his stuff down. I'm beginning to become concerned that one of these days its all going to disappear since most of whats up on YouTube is from three or four uploaders. They block those and there wouldn't be much left.

What makes me mad is that I'd be willing to seriously consider paying for online streaming access to the show - I'd love if it was on Hulu or Vudu or Netflix, for example. But instead it isn't really anywhere fullly legal to own/access but in home video form, and as we all know that's incomplete in a variety of ways. Why the BBC doesn't create its own streaming monthly service for its own long list of classic series I have no idea.

I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but KylerRob, who's got quite a few LOTSW

KyleRob was the first channel I subscribed to, watching LOTSW!!!!!!!! Even though I have the Compo years, I still get on You tube and visit. Hate that they did that to him
@!$#:unhappy:

I'd be willing to seriously consider paying for online streaming access to the show

Really makes me wonder!! Many many years ago, several of us
(here in the states) got together to pool the SW episodes that
we each had, and obtain some of those that we did not have.

Then we made copies of those others did not have, and sent
them around thru the list. Each one copied the needed discs and
sent them around. The result? We all got all the episodes for
minimal cost.

Since then I have purchased the bbc DVDs from amazon.co.uk,
just to "show" that I can. But I still have a 6-inch high stack of
extra discs just in case.

Really surprised nobody else has done this.

Hmm, I even just tried uploading a sample just then, and it got blocked too :(

I'll see what I can do, as I really want to share it with you guys.

Here it is!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22elui_pilot-of-funerals-and-fish-restored_fun

Set the quality to at least 480. There should be an HD option as well, as I uploaded it as HD. I also have the 1GB Mpeg-2 if anyone wants to download that to make a dvd copy.

Let me know if I should do any more Series 1 or 2 episodes. I just compared the DVD release to the copy of Short Back I taped last night, and the TV copy, although with a logo in the corner, puts the DVD release to shame. I checked the end of the DVD, and it's using a copy from 1984 for those first three episodes, so not only are the cut up, they've been copied over from the original tape to another tape for editing, therefore reducing the quality greatly.

Really makes me wonder!! Many many years ago, several of us
(here in the states) got together to pool the SW episodes that
we each had, and obtain some of those that we did not have.

Then we made copies of those others did not have, and sent
them around thru the list. Each one copied the needed discs and
sent them around. The result? We all got all the episodes for
minimal cost.

Since then I have purchased the bbc DVDs from amazon.co.uk,
just to "show" that I can. But I still have a 6-inch high stack of
extra discs just in case.

Really surprised nobody else has done this.

Wish I was on here about 6 months earlier, before I purchased the Compo series. Since my Blueray/DVD player got damaged from lightning a few weeks ago I am going to purchase a player that will take all regions. I would love a copy of the Blamire years. my copy is missing Ballad of Wind Instrument and Canoe, I believe another one. PM me on the cost. Thanks Chuck!

Here it is!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22elui_pilot-of-funerals-and-fish-restored_fun

Set the quality to at least 480. There should be an HD option as well, as I uploaded it as HD. I also have the 1GB Mpeg-2 if anyone wants to download that to make a dvd copy.

Let me know if I should do any more Series 1 or 2 episodes. I just compared the DVD release to the copy of Short Back I taped last night, and the TV copy, although with a logo in the corner, puts the DVD release to shame. I checked the end of the DVD, and it's using a copy from 1984 for those first three episodes, so not only are the cut up, they've been copied over from the original tape to another tape for editing, therefore reducing the quality greatly.
Downloading now looks good . Can you include subtitles?
Thanks Joe

Downloading now looks good . Can you include subtitles?
Thanks Joe

'Including' subtitles is not a trivial task for videos that were not issued/broadcast with them, because they are not embedded in the video. Since the original broadcast of this one wasn't subtitled, that job has to be done manually. It took me the better part of about three weeks to get the timings right for this video even though I started with a subtitle file that I downloaded after locating it via a Google search. (Okay, it was the first one I'd ever done. Efficiency grows with practice. Now I can do a first draft for half-hour video in about a full work day.)

I can't attach the actual subtitle file to this message because the srt file extension isn't among the valid ones listed in the message posting options, but if you'll PM me and include your personal email address, I'll send the srt file to you as an attachment.

To embed the subtitles in the video, first you'll need to download the video using one of the browser add-ons designed to download from DailyMotion. If you want to open the srt file in its raw state in order to read it you'll need to locate and download a "Free Opener". I've never needed to do that, so it's safe to skip that step. Then you'll need software to merge the subtitle file with the video. I use Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate, but I suspect that there are some free ones out there.

If the timings in the subtitle file don't synchronize exactly with this version of the video, or if some of the durations are too short to display, you'll need to download the free Subtitle Workshop version 6.0b or later, or similar software, in order to make those adjustments. I've done a quick & dirty resynchronization of the srt file but a glance through it showed me a great many faults that I'll eventually need to correct. With all its faults, the file is usable, and a whole lot better than not understanding the dialog. I won't get to that clean-up any time this year or next, though. Too many irons in the fire.

Marianna
(index4u)

Back