Limoncello

Rhi

Dedicated Member
I've spent the afternoon making up a batch of Limoncello. Or at least my version of it. Anyone else like it? An hour in the kitchen now give many hours of contented sipping in a few months time!

this is going to sound stupid but what is it? ive never heard of it

It's a lemon liquor. I make it with vodka as we cant get pure alcohol in this country. It's served in frozen shot glasses straight from the freezer. Absolutely great! It costs a lot to buy, but the home made stuff is pretty much exactly what you'd get anyway. Very nice.

ok thanks for letting me know, i got to admit it wouldnt be top of my list but as long as you like it thats all that matters, how come you cant get pure alcohol? are you in a country that alcohol isnt allowed?

I'm in Wales. Anythings allowed here!!! Nah, to make the real stuff, as it's made in Italy you need 100% proof and the closest we can get is 40%-45% here. Don't get me wrong, it's still good, but the pure alcohol certainly makes a difference to the recipe.

ok i understand now, it sounded to me like you was in the middle east where its not allowed, im uk as well so yeah i know that you cant get 100% percent alcohol but if it works with 40-50% then thats ok

even though i wouldnt drink it im interested in hearing how it turned out so please let me know

Send me the recipe please Rhi, I love anything lemony ;) Would it work with any other alcohol do you know??

I have been told that Polish Spirit is stronger ~ 50% alcohol (100 proof). Used to be sold in Morrison in Leeds.

Have heard of stronger versions too.

I have been told that Polish Spirit is stronger ~ 50% alcohol (100 proof). Used to be sold in Morrison in Leeds.

Have heard of stronger versions too.

Strongest I have ever come across is Bacardi 151 around 75% alcohol. But that is a rum of course so not tasteless. I note with amusement:

"In Germany, Bacardi 151 is frequently used to prepare Feuerzangenbowle, a traditional German alcoholic drink."

Maybe a bit like Rhi's Limoncello.

Back