latest drink craze in summer wine country

Is that some kind of beer topped off with ice cream? The beer looks a touch on the pale side. Is that what is known as pale ale?:oops:

Oh, yes. Root Beer Floats! Loved those as a kid. We also made Purple Cows (?) too. Which was Coke (or soda) with vanilla ice cream. Preferred the root beer, the coke seemed to ice up more.

As a kid I thoroughly enjoyed it when my folks would take us to a place called A&W with a drive up and little tiny diner. Waitress would roller skate up to your car with your order tray that would hang on the partially cranked up window. Some of the best root beer served in solid chunky glass mugs. The food was great too - burgers, hot dogs, french fries, etc. But I mostly remember the awesome root beer.

edit
I just looked up Purple Cow drink and they list grape juice. Not something we tried with ice cream. Guess we called it by the wrong name back then.

Last edited:
As a kid I thoroughly enjoyed it when my folks would take us to a place called A&W with a drive up and little tiny diner. Waitress would roller skate up to your car with your order tray that would hang on the partially cranked up window. Some of the best root beer served in solid chunky glass mugs. The food was great too - burgers, hot dogs, french fries, etc. But I mostly remember the awesome root beer.

The A&W restaurant franchise still exists, but the waitresses on roller skates are long gone. They were never prevalent in my area anyway, because they'd have to hang up their skates from the first snowfall, sometimes as early as November, until after the last one was cleared, occasionally as late as early May. The root beer was/is better there than the bottled A&W, partly because it's draft and partly because the mugs are stored in the freezer so they're thoroughly frosted when they're used. My local supermarket carries it, but the fast food places in this area all serve a different brand.

Back