Later Characters

Yes I think the Hobbo character was starting to settle down and given another couple of series and he would have become more of a viewer favourite.

I used to DESPISE Hobbo. I bashed him quite a bit in the old forum. However, after recently forcing myself to watch the 2009-10 episodes again, I grew to like him.

on the same note - if the series had contined, knowing Miss Davenport's romantic veiw on life, do you think she would have taken Glenda's role in the Coffee Circle? You know, not believing the worst of men while those with more experience had a more cynicle vew?

Interesting point, but correct me if I am wrong, Glenda was in the show to the very end as well. I believe there was room for both of them during coffee time.

No, you're right but i think she started to get a bit more forceful towards the end of the seriesx and starting to come up in rank with the ldies (the forcing Barry to go on a diet is the one example i can think of, owing to the heat) so i guess i meant...............Miss Daven Port could have fitted in where Glenda used to be and Glenda could have got stronger had the series been allowed to continue

Don't know what it is about Alvin, I just couldn't warm to him, were they trying to make him a substitute for Compo or more like a Clegg type of character.

Don't know what it is about Alvin, I just couldn't warm to him, were they trying to make him a substitute for Compo or more like a Clegg type of character.

at one point they used exactly the same joke for Alvin that they'd used for Compo in previous years the one that ends "supposing I need the recipe" and tried to give Alvin some of the same stunts, or stunts in the same vein, so i think they were trying to make him more of a comp character, although i dont think Alvin actually fancied Nora - he just enjoyed winding her up

No, you're right but i think she started to get a bit more forceful towards the end of the seriesx and starting to come up in rank with the ldies (the forcing Barry to go on a diet is the one example i can think of, owing to the heat) so i guess i meant...............Miss Daven Port could have fitted in where Glenda used to be and Glenda could have got stronger had the series been allowed to continue

Interesting point, Pauline. I guess Glenda did get more assertive over the years but it was still in a much more affectionate way than Nora or Pearl ever were to their husbands.

Interesting point, Pauline. I guess Glenda did get more assertive over the years but it was still in a much more affectionate way than Nora or Pearl ever were to their husbands.

True

[/quote]

I never thought of it that way, I always thought she became more assertive later on after her mother past away, she may not have felt like Edie was watching over her shoulder and disapproving of her all the time :)

I never thought of it that way, I always thought she became more assertive later on after her mother past away, she may not have felt like Edie was watching over her shoulder and disapproving of her all the time :)
[/quote] OH MOTHER!!! ::)

OH MOTHER!!! ::)
[/quote]

Drink your coffee Dick!! ;D ;D ;D

[/quote]

I feel like that.

I also liked Miss Davenport. Infact I think it could have been a match made in Heaven for her and Hobo.. They were both strange characters.

Since I have "Keeping Up Appearances" memorized including every nuance of the Elizabeth character, I would have liked to see Josephine Tewson tone down Miss Davenport. Maybe she was tryiing not to do "Elizabeth," but I think that the characterization would have been stronger with less "out there action." Not every women has to be "northern Yorkshire" strong.

I Loved Miss Davenport, but I felt she was never quite accepted on acount of her not being 'native Yorkshire'!!! Marina liked her, but she was an outsider for different reasons.

I Loved Miss Davenport, but I felt she was never quite accepted on acount of her not being 'native Yorkshire'!!! Marina liked her, but she was an outsider for different reasons.

Interesting to see this topic revisited. I am currently wrapping up season 25 and as I mentioned before, Miss Davenport is a great addition to the characters and helped keep the comedy going. I believe her not fitting in with the more "bitter" ladies was a goood bit of the comedy. Her attempts to get the ladies to join a book club was great as well.

Back