Last of the Summer Wine Production Dates

Cap n Mac

For the sake of reference, and for those who do not own a copy of Alan J. W. Bell's fantastic book, I will be listing the years of production that saw the making of Last of the Summer Wine. As I do not have access to the book as of this writing, I am going by my best memory.

The Comedy Playhouse pilot - 1972
Series 1 - 1973
Series 2 - 1974
Series 3 - 1976
Series 4 - 1977 (Small Tune on a Penny Wassail - 1978)
Series 5 - 1979
Series 6 - 1981
Series 7 - 1982 (Getting Sam Home - 1983)
Series 8 - 1984
Series 9 - 1986 (Uncle of the Bride - 1985, Big Dat at Dream Acres - 1987)
Series 10 - 1988 (C.R.U.M.S - 1988)
Series 11 - 1989
Series 12 - 1990
Series 13 - 1991
Series 14 - 1992
Series 15 - 1993
Series 16 - 1994
Series 17 - 1995
Series 18 - 1996
Series 19 - 1997
Series 20 - 1998
Series 21 - 1999
Series 22 - 2000
Series 23 - 2001
Series 24 - 2002
Series 25 - 2003
Series 26 - 2004
Series 27 - 2005
Series 28 - 2006
Series 29 - 2007
Series 30 - 2008
Series 31 - 2009

Last edited:
I've always wanted more detailed information than what is in Bell's book but I guess we will never have that. Now obviously parts of a given episode were filmed at different times, but it would be interesting to know things like when "There Goes the Groom" was filmed versus the rest of the series that followed it. Some of that can be inferred or is referenced by Bell in his book, but there is no direct listing. It might help explain some of the continuity errors, etc.

I've always wanted more detailed information than what is in Bell's book but I guess we will never have that. Now obviously parts of a given episode were filmed at different times, but it would be interesting to know things like when "There Goes the Groom" was filmed versus the rest of the series that followed it. Some of that can be inferred or is referenced by Bell in his book, but there is no direct listing. It might help explain some of the continuity errors, etc.

Now, that's a good question. I do tend to have a feeling that some of the Specials may have been filmed during the same block of production as the following episodes. For instance, "There Goes The Groom" might have been filmed around or during the production of Series 19. Honestly, it would be nice to know when exactly certain episodes and maybe even certain scenes were shot. Call sheets would be the best source of that information.

And Rick, you are very welcome!

Now, that's a good question. I do tend to have a feeling that some of the Specials may have been filmed during the same block of production as the following episodes. For instance, "There Goes The Groom" might have been filmed around or during the production of Series 19.

Bell's book does make clear this was the case. "Last Post and Pigeon" did its location filming at Dover and France first in 1999, for example. In looking into the details around Brian Wilde's second departure from the show, I did find information that indicated "There Goes the Groom" was filmed after Series 19. But those are secondary and implied sources, not a clear schedule of what happened when.

I recall there was a 30th anniversary book produced by Morris Bright and Robert Ross which listed some more detail. Last time I looked it was on offer for a few points on the used book market.

In the days when the exhibition was in the basement of a building in Huddersfield Road and consisted of mainly photograph there was a list there which I copied about 1992. It seems however that that list was filming order not showing order and this has given rise to anomalies and things like someones introduction following their first appearance.

I recall there was a 30th anniversary book produced by Morris Bright and Robert Ross which listed some more detail. Last time I looked it was on offer for a few points on the used book market.

The book is available on Amazon in the UK for £2.68 more interesting to me was searching on the author's name in Amazon and I came across a couple of books they had written. Elstree Studios a celebration of Film and Television, its £28 new on prime but there are three outlets have it at £5.81 with free delivery so I have ordered . The other is a book on the Lost Carry On's which is about things from all the Carry On films left on the cutting room floor with script items that didn't make it with unpublished photos and still from the films .

The book is available on Amazon in the UK for £2.68 more interesting to me was searching on the author's name in Amazon and I came across a couple of books they had written. Elstree Studios a celebration of Film and Television, its £28 new on prime but there are three outlets have it at £5.81 with free delivery so I have ordered . The other is a book on the Lost Carry On's which is about things from all the Carry On films left on the cutting room floor with script items that didn't make it with unpublished photos and still from the films .

Enjoy and I note autocorrect translated whatever I had typed in for pounds as points - and points means prizes ..... sorry I haven't a clue!

Back