Last of the Summer Wine: 30 Years of Laughs - Channel 5

Wonder why "Barry" declined surely Glenda would have made him tow the line . It was his major role in a long career why decline ? I would hope Mike is not another James Bolam who chose to totally ignored the Likely Lads dismissing it with contempt.

Last edited:
It appears he has declined several invitations to be interviewed for books etc

That is so disappointing if he's like James Bolam you will get the "I'm an actor, its just a role. I came to work like other people and did my job" speech but for this show what would he be . It's his major role throughout his career you think he'd want to share his experience . You might think he'd hold back stories if he had a lucrative deal to write his autobiography but surely he'd have done that by now .

Perhaps I am naive in my view but I am struggling to understand why he would refuse to participate in a tribute to something which has occupied 24 years of his life especially, subsequent to the show ending, he has spent most of his time voicing Sir Robert Norramby in Thomas and Friends stories which frankly if I were an actor would not really be a stretch or satisfying.

NB

Apologies for the rant.

That is so disappointing if he's like James Bolam you will get the "I'm an actor, its just a role. I came to work like other people and did my job" speech but for this show what would he be . It's his major role throughout his career you think he'd want to share his experience . You might think he'd hold back stories if he had a lucrative deal to write his autobiography but surely he'd have done that by now .

Perhaps I am naive in my view but I am struggling to understand why he would refuse to participate in a tribute to something which has occupied 24 years of his life especially, subsequent to the show ending, he has spent most of his time voicing Sir Robert Norramby in Thomas and Friends stories which frankly if I were an actor would not really be a stretch or satisfying.

NB

Apologies for the rant.
I used to follow him on Twitter,and I don’t know if it’s the same now,but in his bio at the time,he put the list of shows like Citizen Smith,and voiceovers for children’s programmes,and I remember being shocked that LOTSW was not on the list,I’ll go back today and check if it’s still the same.

Well finally watched it, not sure how I feel about it. I'm glad it's got some attention.
Also did Brian Murphy refer to his character as Elvin?
I’m glad you mentioned that Pearl,before this show,for years I thought it was just me,I have heard him refer to himself as Elvin,and I presumed his real name in the show was Elvin,but that people like Billy etc just called him Alvin,its puzzled me for years and so glad it’s not just me,I thought it was one of those facts that all you experts on here were aware that the characters real name was Elvin,definitely in his earlier episodes he would clearly declare “I’m Elvin ….”

Well, I have seen it now, A huge thanks for the upload, but sadly I am no more charitable towards it than before. I believe the real issue here is it's been a thin couple years with Covid, a little boost in the tourism department now that things have lightened up a bit would not go amiss. Nick Park does wonderful work and certainly he worked a long time with Peter, but I thought his inclusion here was a bit misplaced. I can't figure Crispian out at all, I've seen him interviewed for his own projects in the past, he doesn't usually come across as he did here. It was a little weird. I can't believe how much Tom looks like his dad now! And how much Kathy Staff's daughter sounds like her!

For me it was a worthwhile effort with some glaring inaccuracies - some talking heads were on the bizarre side and others were sublime - a real mixed bag but seeing as it was probably cobbled together in the worst excesses of the pandemic I can forgive it's general style and presentation. I'd say there were definite areas of improvement possible but it was overall an enjoyable fast rewind over some highlights.

We watched it the other day. Good documentary for Channel 5 standards. The only glaring error we found was that they referred to Compo as Nora's lodger! We also wondered where Barry had got to, either as show clips or an interviewee.

I think the 30 year documentary was more accurate, but don't forget that was made by the BBC themselves, who also made LOTSW, so they would have put more effort into getting the details right.

Hot Foot on the tails of the documentary about our beloved show tonight on C5 it was the turn of Hi De Hi [Ho De Ho] . I have yet to watch it but think its the same format as ours so anyone former winners of the Who can get the most Spaghetti down the trousers competition , Glamourous Grannie or Nobbly knees who wants some memories of the show and time they spent at Butlins hopefully you will get a chance to watch it . Ted can't hear you !

Back