Keep calm...

WesleyRocks

Dedicated Member
Hey All,
Statesider with a question.
My daughter is a huge One Direction fan, ??? and with that now she wants everything British for Christmas. I was looking at Union Jacks on line and this saying kept coming up.
"Keep calm and carry on"
It is printed on mugs,flags,tee shirts, you name it .
What is this from???
Just a naive American asking for some clarity ;D

Keep Calm and Carry On was a propaganda poster produced by the Government of the United Kingdom in 1939 during the beginning of the Second World War, intended to raise the morale of the British public in the event of a Nazi invasion of Britain.

The keep calm craze seems to have taken over the world. I saw a mug the other day with 'Keep calm and dunk a hobnob' on it. I also saw some with the Penguine paperback covers parody. One was 'Apocalypse Now In A Minute.' I think they all had a pseudo-Welsh link! Another was 'From by here to Eternity'. I had to laugh.

I'll have a buy a t-shirt with the keep calm and carry on logo and wear it on the 21st december when the world is suppose to end ;D

In another Yank's observance of British sayings, I don't know if anything beats the previously discussed, "Bob's your Uncle"!

FSJ, just get your daughter a Cooper and Walsh at Butcher's Arms shirt!!!!!

I'll have a buy a t-shirt with the keep calm and carry on logo and wear it on the 21st december when the world is suppose to end ;D

Me too ;D When I saw the film 2012 I decided I wasn't doing the Xmas shopping until the 22nd, I hate shopping and if the world does end on the 21st I'll be more p'ed
that I did the shopping unnecessarily :D

there are so many strange yorkshire phrases, i'm a yorkshireman even though i now live in the midlands and i still use them such as ...its dark over bills mums house...or...its a lazy wind.

Keep Calm and Carry On was a propaganda poster produced by the Government of the United Kingdom in 1939 during the beginning of the Second World War, intended to raise the morale of the British public in the event of a Nazi invasion of Britain.

What is sometimes not realised that although planned during war time, it was never used in the war itself. I assume it came to light more recently (early 2000s I think) and has become very popular.

It was only intended to be used in the event of invasion but as this never happened the poster was never issued, I have read somewhere that most of the original ones were pulped in 1945.

Yes Barmpot, there were to be put up in post offices and community meeting places like Churches and such has a means of a moral boost and to keep people calm. I suppose they had a few ideas in the works just in case we were invaded luckily it never happened. There were some originals on the Antiques Road show a while back some of the ones in good condition were worth good money, there were distributed to the places they were to be put up and just stored there.

Back