Just where is the street level anyway?

W

Who Is That Then

One thing I find curious and odd. It seemed to me at first like Compo's house was built slightly below street level, just one flight down and Nora's was one flight up. But then in other episodes I've seen it seems even the sidewalk outside Compo's house is one flight up from another street level which is one flight below what I thought was the normal street level for Nora & Compo, making Nora's house actually 2 flights up from the real street level down below the previously thought street level where Compo emerges out of his house onto and where Nora walks down onto.

This probably sounds very confusing, suffice it to say in some episodes it seems the real street level is 2 flights below Nora and one flight below Compo's sidewalk-"streeet level". In other episodes it seemed street level was right at the sidewald where Compo walks up to from his door.

Am I crazy or have you noticed this double street level business depending on which episode you watch? ???

As stated on another thread I have stayed in a house a little further up the same street. From one side it is four floors with some houses "under" others as and from the other side it is just two floors - it is actually on quite a steep hillside.

It would appear that Compo's house was partly under Norah and Wally's and partly on his first floor alongside. The concept of a vertical wall running though the entire structure separating one property from another does not seem to hold. I know of other similar houses in the Hebden Bridge area where there is overlap between different houses from floor to floor. Very confusing.

Visit the Compo museum and look up as you enter and you might see what I mean. But unless you have stayed in a similar property it is difficult to imagine.

I think it all boils down to which episode you're watching. Some episodes seems street level is the one right below Nora's steps and above Compo's door. Other episodes street level is a whole level of steps down from the "street level" outside Nora's door. I guess then this 2 flights down level from Nora's door then is the real street level. I wonder how you drive a car down a street around there? The street seems to stop abruptly and then you walk up a flight of stairs and the street continues. Cars must need a derek standing by to pick them up from one street level onto another to continue on. I won't even mention driving on the wrong side of the street and wrong side of the car, this would only start another war. One thing, for sure, I will have to take a cab if I ever visit Britain, the rules of driving there are just too opposite what they are here for me to get used to before having a total wreck. I don't even like driving in the few circles they have here.

I'm not entirely sure what this thread is about, but from the main road with the tarmac (or black gravel, whatever you wanna call it) is the one the trio walk down. They then either can walk down a path or road to the left, which is beside the stream. Or they can just walk slightly more to the right, and walk up the stairs. When up the stairs, there is a path. To the left of them, they can look down at the gravel road/path i previously mentioned, which runs quite high above but still technically "beside" the stream. To the right of them, is 2 doors, if you face your right, you see off to the right, a cream colored looking door, which later on Alvin would have his outdoor table and chairs infront of. To the left, if your still facing to what you originally saw on your right, you see the bit under Nora's steps, which is the door to compo's house. It is implied that compo's indoor stairs are right infront of his front door, but this can't be true, due to it would lead right into the bit where nora walks to open her front door.

Right, if your still with me (I'm getting very technical. I'll try to provide pictures later), turn off from your right, so to your left is the road/stream, and to your right is compo's place. Walk forward a few paces, and turn to your right, you see the steps, and blue door of nora's house. Ignore this and continue to walk, at the end of the row of houses, i am unsure what is there, but i know wally's pidgeon (is that what they were?) house thingy is in that area.

I guarrentee none of that made any sense to you, but it makes perfect sense to me, and i really need to take some snapshots from my dvd's and explain everything. All the above, is just from watching summer wine, and being obsessive and noticing little details.

To sum up a hard to understand post that i just wrote. Street level is NOT the path that has nora's steps and compo's door. Street level is one floor lower, which is why you see the trio walk up a flight of steps to get to compo's place.

Back