Just to answer a Question

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
That I have been asked several times about the use of doubles, when filming anything dangerous they used stunt men, but for other events they often had a double for the actor, now sometimes these were used for distant shots, where normally you could not spot they were doubles.
But often they used the doubles to set a scene and to check they had everything in the right place, while this was happening the actors would brush up on the lines for that scene, then once the scene is set, the actor would replace the double, do a couple of rehearsal takes, then the final take.
Here is a picture of Keith Quinn who for some years was a double for Frank Thornton.
KQ.jpg

Thanks for the info, Terry.

I am curious about the doubles now. Did the (or any) production crew regularly use the same ones over and over again? I can see using the same stunt men regularly as needed. Because they know the ins and outs of the show, safety and were of similar build to the main characters.

Or did they just grab anyone around that was close in build, crew or whoever, to be a double? Are the doubles people that are hoping to
become main actors and make their break into the screen that way?

I figure there is a stunt man guild. An actor's guild. Is there also a doubles guild?

As you said -
But often they used the doubles to set a scene and to check they had everything in the right place, while this was happening the actors would brush up on the lines for that scene, then once the scene is set, the actor would replace the double, do a couple of rehearsal takes, then the final take.
Seems super smart and makes a lot of sense. Is something I had not thought about before.

I guess if doubles are held on and re-used regularly then that seems like a pretty interesting niche of work.
<Wonders how much the pay would be as a regular double for Martin Short.>

Rick, there was often the same doubles used for the main characters but not all of them, some were used not for stunts, but on occasions when it would be uncomfortable for the cast at their age, maybe riding in or outside Entwistle's truck, or sitting on rocks etc. Occasionally they would use a crew member and dress them to look like one of the cast for a long shot like walking across field in a distance shot

I am just wondering, if a regular actor plays the part of a murder victim or some other short appearance, does he or she get the regular wage? I know that this doesn't really apply for the gentle comedies, but I am just wondering. Yes, I know --- Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton were not stiffed for their brief appearances behind newspapers in very comfortable chairs. But what about lesser known actors?

Back