Just started watching again

goodiesguy

Dedicated Member
After a few months off from watching LOTSW, I began again. Just finished "The New Mobile Trio" tonight after watching one episode a night.

I haven't watched series 1 or 2 (or even 3 or 4 for that matter) for at least two years (the last time I actually watched an episode from this era was 2010).

I must say, As i'm older now and can understand more of what they are saying (I'm 16 nearly 17 now) I can really appreciate the great writing and humor alot more now, and i'm really enjoying Blamire. He is really a great character, and seems to have no hate for either of the two, although he'll go on at Compo whenever he get's the chance.

I must say, it's quite odd, but refreshing to see Norman Clegg be so ruthless and careless. Yesterday when watching "Spring Fever" he stood up to Nora Batty and had a good conversation and actually won it! I mean, later on he wouldn't be seen dead trying to talk to Nora Batty.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the series, and Ivy doesn't seem as mean to the trio in these early years. I mean, she's always having a go at Sid, but she's never overly mean to the trio, like in later years.

Welcome and all.

I think most of us really do like the early Norman
Clegg, as he is more "aggressive" than in later
series.

BTW - where do you live??? I am in Durham,
North Carolina.

chuck

I live all the way in Dunedin, New Zealand. The other side of the world.

Yeah, I really like the early Clegg.

Yes, the Clegg who suggested that he and Blamire go half each on a car was a quite different man from the Clegg who so timidly shied away from driving in later years.

First of all, welcome back, Goodies Guy.

I also take breaks from Summer wine at certain times, as it helps me get a fresher perspective of the show and appreciate it more. I am 37, and I still gain insight on the writing of the show the more times I watch it.

Welcome and all.

I think most of us really do like the early Norman
Clegg, as he is more "aggressive" than in later
series.

chuck

OK Chuck, the changing character of Clegg has been brought up a couple of times recently. I have a comment and a question (for all).

I prefer the more "meek" Clegg, maybe just because I am more used to him. I think it was roughly around the early 90's where he would display that ultra nervous smile around Auntie that was priceless. Then there was his fear of Marina during that time when Marina was always so excited to see him. However, during his more soft years he still acted stern when Howard would come by his house, with smart comments.

Regardless of the era, I most appreciated his philosophizing comments. Of course it started with the pilot about the man carrying the injured bird. However, I recently caught, I didn't know Barry Could Play where there is the discussion at his house with Howard about marriage. Clegg made so many witty comments and made them in a very matter-of-fact way. Howard asked him, "what about Passion (in marriage). Claggs answer, "That was for foreigners". It wasn't what he said, but it always seems to be the way Clagg says things that are great.

OK, here is my question for everyone; At what point did Clegg go "from arrogant to meek"? I am thinking his character toned down with Foggy's arrival but he was still more agressive at times, like Green Fingers and Earnshaw Strikes Again. However, I don't recall when he completely turned soft, or meek.

Back