Just Spotted this

I got told by someone who knew the cast that Tom Owen wasnt a nice man, is that right?

I have just finished reading the article and was about to post it but you beat me to it!
Very interesting but a bit sad in some ways.

G ; )

God, I´m shattered, I never suspected all these things! Peter always says how good Bill Owen was with children, and somehow I had thought of him being as kind as Compo. And of course you can´t judge from this article, it´s a frustrated son´s point of view, highly understandable of course. So this is the answer, I knew Brian Wilde liked to keep away from the rest and didn´t get along with Bill, but I never knew Bill also kept away from the rest, except for Peter sometimes. I never dared to ask Peter about his relation with Bill, thank god now I don´t need to. Thank you very much for the article!
It seems the whole cast didn´t get close to each other. When Kathy Staff died, they interviewed Peter Sallis (it´s on youtube) and when he was asked how she was in reality, he said he never got close enough to find out. It seems they all kept away from each other more or less. What a pity, you would think over the years they had become a great family.

I got told by someone who knew the cast that Tom Owen wasnt a nice man, is that right?

Sorry to have to tell people this.
A friend of my mother's worked on the set and he said - and this was some time ago - that there where a couple of them who were real pains in the backside. Naturally he told us just who - although Tom Owen was not one of them - i think People would be surprised, and disappointed if I did start name dropping - if you want to know, please by all means PM me.
He said one of the male, when off set, spoke like he had a mouth full of plums and kept away from everyone and was a huge snob.

I have met Tom on several occasions when they have been filming and he was always kind and I observed he enjoyed his time with the other cast about on the day.
The thing to remember and I have seen this for myself, that one day a cast member will be smiles and chatty,another time they will not,I think several things may cause this, tiredness, they may have their head full of lines for the next scene or like most of us humans,we have our good and bad days.

That said I am sure there will be one or two of the cast that want to keep themselves to themselves and maybe have little in common.

Terry

It's been well documented that Bill Owen had political differences with both Micheal Bates and Brian Wilde, they did apparently argue quite often on set, which was mentioned by Brian in an interview he did many years ago.

I think that because we are fond of a programme such as Summer wine, we expect the cast to be close to each other, especially if they have worked together for many years, as they did in the show.
But in reality, some of the cast would actually never meet (work) with each other from one year to the next.

I've been an extra in many films over the last 30 years or so and what you see in the finished film/programme, is not actually how is was filmed, clever editing can make things seem much different than what they were when filmed.

The series "Oranges are not the only fruit", was filmed in Rossendale, Lancashire many years ago, which is where i was born and lived until 1988, when i moved to North Wales.
I know the area very well and in one scene, it showed a couple of actors walking down a lane, when they came out onto the road, it was in a totaly different part of the town (Waterfoot), to where they filmed the lane scene.

I'm sure this was also the case with some scenes in Summer wine and as a result, some cast members would never meet, especially as in the case of Summer wine, where some scenes were filmed in Yorkshire and others in the studio's in London.

How many times have we seen takes done in Ivy's cafe, with what is obviously prop scenery, that can be seen through the windows?
That would have been filmed in London but when the actors come out of the cafe, the filming has been done in Holmfirth, it's down to the editing.

So, for those reasons, some actors would be in London filming, whilst others would be in Yorkshire doing other scenes, which would then be stiched together in the editing suite.
I do quite a bit of this kind of editing for S4C Wales programmes, mainly documentaries but occasionally other items and you would be surprised (or not) at some of the tricks used in continuity shots.

Sometimes it's better not to know some things, it can make you look at them a wee bit differently but i think that we can all agree, Summer wine has given us many years of pleasure and i'm sure that we will all look back fondly at our favorite episodes for many more years.

G ; )

I think the editing in LOTSW is superb,two episode spring immediately to mind are Wind Power when Compo on roller skates gets dragged along by passing cyclists and falls over and Small Tune on a penny wassail when Compo falls off the skateboard.The cut from stuntman to Bill Owen is brilliant.

Someone passed the Mail on Sunday to me, so I could read Tom's interview. I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed in him for some of the stuff he revealed.

Out of respect for his father, I believe he should have kept some of this stuff private.

Bill Owen would have been born just a few years before my father. I would say that his attitude, as reported by Tom, is not unusual for those born at that time. Other people of that time were equally reserved.

Tom is, obviously, quite different in approach and in how he expresses himself. The problem with articles written for the media, is that a journalist can get you to say far more than you normally would to make the piece rather more appetising to the causual reader. Yes, Tom shoudl eb aware of that - but it looks to me as if the writer has manged to diga bit deeper and got more detail than perhaps some, such as Gavin above, feels is fitting.

Back