Just a Small Funeral

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
It's obvious that the three episodes dealing with Compos passing are just as much about Bill Owens death as Compos. What is very poignant is that the cast, especially Peter Sallis are also saying goodbye to Bill. Peter's grief must have been very real and it certainly adds to the brilliance of these three episodes.

Attachments

• 405538690_7685712071445963_4412779450133322776_n.jpg
    405538690_7685712071445963_4412779450133322776_n.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 7
I can’t bring myself to watch that trilogy
Hats off to you for being well adjusted and able to handle the episodes about the funniest character (and the actor himself) passing away
Frankly I can’t watch any episodes after season 20 because I don’t want to think about it
Fortunately I feel the first 20 seasons provide ample entertainment and reassurance
Neurotic rant over

I can’t bring myself to watch that trilogy
Hats off to you for being well adjusted and able to handle the episodes about the funniest character (and the actor himself) passing away
Frankly I can’t watch any episodes after season 20 because I don’t want to think about it
Fortunately I feel the first 20 seasons provide ample entertainment and reassurance
Neurotic rant over
You should at least watch the last 3 or 4 series, they are the most relaxing (maybe not the funniest) of the entire series as they seem to run at a very sedate pace. Can't imagine anyone could be neurotic over these episodes!!

To lose arguably the most popular character and write a exit for that character and make it funny but incredibly moving as well. Only a genius could do that. Mr Roy Clarke.

I’ll try to find them on daily motion
Sadly they're not on Dailymotion to be best of my knowledge, but if you can find them they're filmed in HD which showcases the countryside in amazing glory and I fall asleep sometimes watching them as they're soooo chilled to watch....

To me they're a highly emotional trilogy with just the right sprinkling of humour scattered throughout. The cast had in many cases simultaneously lost a dear friend and it shows in their performances. You're practically pleading for all to be yet another ruse of Compo's at one point and bring an end to the melancholic tone but you're never constantly downhearted as it picks you right up again. The final appearance of the theme tune lyrics sung to a haunting visual montage of some of Simmonite Senior's adult playgrounds never fails to induce a tear. Whilst I fully respect Brian Wilde's decision to not be involved as he didn't want to take away any focus he would have been highly welcome to be involved in some way.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember someone mentioning that Peter Sallis was the only cast member to attend Bill Owen's funeral. I think it was at the request of Bill's family and they also asked for fans to stay away. I think this would have made the filming of Compo's funeral far more emotional for the remaining cast members.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember someone mentioning that Peter Sallis was the only cast member to attend Bill Owen's funeral. I think it was at the request of Bill's family and they also asked for fans to stay away. I think this would have made the filming of Compo's funeral far more emotional for the remaining cast members.
I vaguely remember reading that too, I think they may have had a thanksgiving service for him later where more could attend.

To me they're a highly emotional trilogy with just the right sprinkling of humour scattered throughout. The cast had in many cases simultaneously lost a dear friend and it shows in their performances. You're practically pleading for all to be yet another ruse of Compo's at one point and bring an end to the melancholic tone but you're never constantly downhearted as it picks you right up again. The final appearance of the theme tune lyrics sung to a haunting visual montage of some of Simmonite Senior's adult playgrounds never fails to induce a tear. Whilst I fully respect Brian Wilde's decision to not be involved as he didn't want to take away any focus he would have been highly welcome to be involved in some way.
This is a short vid I put together about eight years ago.

Those are great episodes, but like others I can't always watch them when they are up in line. Sometimes I watch them, sometimes I skip just those three, and sometimes I skip the whole season. I do think there are good years after that, though, so I certainly recommend that fans don't just stop when Bill Owen passed on. He clearly loved the show and wanted it to continue after he did, after all.

mashibinbin said:
Whilst I fully respect Brian Wilde's decision to not be involved as he didn't want to take away any focus he would have been highly welcome to be involved in some way.

I also wish he'd been there but I think the solution would have been to invite several former guest stars along with him, such as those who played his nephews Chip and Gordon in early episodes. Nobody would have had to say a line, just a shot of them in the church would have done it. Not sure why that didn't happen or if attempts were made, but it was some months after Owen's death before they resumed filming that series from what I recall reading.

Back