Junk Mail

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
As I unload another heap of junk mail and newspaper inserts into the re-cycling bin I wondered to myself . How many more of us use up resources of various kinds just to try and be "green". How much energy is used to produce and deliver this "bumf"? How much more energy is used sorting and processing it by the waste companies/councils. Maybe the climate change groups could target this sort of waste and not block city streets in protest.?:confused2::eyesroll:

Yes it does make you wonder Dick,it's been going on for years and nobody has jumped on it regarding the wastage, I was reading today that Amazon are going to try and offer just a weekly delivery service even for prime customers and also get to grips with their packaging

There must be a whole industry involved from start to finish, from making the paper to recycling it several months down the line, then you have the printing,delivery,collection of waste etc etc

Delivering junk mail was my first job as a kid. We got a little book when we started telling us what we could and couldn't do, how to deal with dogs etc. One of the things that we weren't allowed to do was to fold each item inside another. We had to keep them separate. I well remember my first Christmas. Six plastic shopping bags with 165 pieces in each one. Stopping at each letter box, putting the bags down, taking one out of each bag, putting them into the letter box then picking up the bags and moving along to the next. I got smarter as how to do it as I continued in the job. Don't miss it at all now.

Delivering junk mail was my first job as a kid. We got a little book when we started telling us what we could and couldn't do, how to deal with dogs etc. One of the things that we weren't allowed to do was to fold each item inside another. We had to keep them separate. I well remember my first Christmas. Six plastic shopping bags with 165 pieces in each one. Stopping at each letter box, putting the bags down, taking one out of each bag, putting them into the letter box then picking up the bags and moving along to the next. I got smarter as how to do it as I continued in the job. Don't miss it at all now.

That was my first job too! I'm terrified of dogs which got much worse after that job, I got bitten twice. I liked delivering free samples, we delivered free boxes of washing powder once, I had a years supply in the end and Tracker Bars, the woman I was working for dropped off two big black bags of those to me because the rest of the crew didn't like them, have to say after I'd eaten all of those neither did I.

Well, the absolute best way to "recycle" is not to purchase it in the first place. Look at what you're buying and the container or packaging that contains the item you're purchasing. Is it plastic? Can you avoid bringing home that item in plastic?

Well, the absolute best way to "recycle" is not to purchase it in the first place. Look at what you're buying and the container or packaging that contains the item you're purchasing. Is it plastic? Can you avoid bringing home that item in plastic?
The complaint I have Adanor is not purchasing but what is inside my purchases or through my letterbox when I have not asked for it. My daily newspaper contains inserts and or magazines. I have advertising mail from companies but very little regular mail (letters etc) If I refuse to accept this " unwanted " mail would I be doing the post man out of a job ?? 90% of the stuff still in the shops is plastic wrapped in some form or another. My local authority does not recycle everything.A lot of it still goes to landfill .:confused::confused2:

The complaint I have Adanor is not purchasing but what is inside my purchases or through my letterbox when I have not asked for it. My daily newspaper contains inserts and or magazines. I have advertising mail from companies but very little regular mail (letters etc) If I refuse to accept this " unwanted " mail would I be doing the post man out of a job ?? 90% of the stuff still in the shops is plastic wrapped in some form or another. My local authority does not recycle everything.A lot of it still goes to landfill .:confused::confused2:
Yes, I too, heave the giant wad of advertisements into the recycle bin.

I asked Royal mail some years back to remove me from their junk mail list,so anything not addressed to me should not be delivered, this worked well for a couple of months,then it started again, in fact after I complained it continued, so I used to collect it all up and once or twice a week put it all back in the small post box along the lane from me, sometimes almost filling the box, a couple of time I stuck a note on it ,saying I did not want it,so they can have it back

If you ate one item from the number of fast food menus that come through the door you'd need a forklift to get you out of bed or up off a chair .

There must be a whole industry involved from start to finish, from making the paper to recycling it several months down the line, then you have the printing,delivery,collection of waste etc etc

Terry

totally true. When I was a consultant trainer one of my clients was company in the Calder Valley whose only output was junk mail This was well over twelve years ago (officially retired in 2007 although had effectively laid down my lecturing role by about 2005). This company had been going 20 years plus, originally based in Wakefield which is why we were still in contact.
I actually asked about the return on all this printed matter and was told it needed less than 1% to respond for it to be cost effective! The machines were state of the art and although they paused to print the aper (sixteen pages both sides at once) it was so fast the process looked continuous. Ink was stored in 60 foot high silos. Everything on a massive scale.

And they were not the only one in the vicinity. Given that I bin all mine, straight away it seems a scandalous use of resources. There are probably many who do not recycle so the amount of extra waste is incalculable.

It seems like a giant job creation scheme:: I remember a book on that theme called
The Scheme for Full Employment: A Novel by
Magnus Mills

Talking of junk mail, we are currently in a Federal Election cycle (Election next Sat) and it is amazing how many politicians & wannabees I have never heard from have now found my address to tell me what a great job they have been doing for me and can I please help them save their jobs by voting for them.:02::02::33::33::33::33:

TV is the same and even YOOTOOB is riddled with all this Krap. The mailbox is filled every day with letters, pamphlets, booklets etc etc from these parasites!!!.

Sorry............. I know it happens everywhere but I don't have much time for politicians at the best of times and elections are NOT the best of times!:fp::cafe: And yes I know they are a necessary evil, but having been in the business of, let's say, "investigating" stuff, I know how truly evil most of them are despite their public personas!!

Ok apologies again.......I am recovering from an operation, give me a break!;):)

Back