June 201 ask onyx (John)

Must admit I hadn't noticed that before. Mind you, when you look at the distance between the end wall and the window in the second photo there is no room for the kitchen to be there anyway. The first picture shows that the counter goes back at least a couple of feet from the window. Given the width of the bricks, the kitchen can't have been much wider than a foot, a bit of a tight squeeze for someone like Ivy. Perhaps the LOTSW cafe is based on Tardis principles?

I also recall in early episodes seeing a telephone box outside the cafe when seen from inside yet no sign of it in the external shots

I once committed sacrilege in Scotland by asking for Irish whiskey,(Bushmills) I have to ask if you partake of any .If so which?? :whisper:

The kitchen in the real cafe is in fact facing the door.

WHAT!? Oh my gosh . . . no. That couldn't have always been. Even if we speak of indoor studio shots, there are times when we look right into the café from that door and see tables and chairs and the wall, not the kitchen.

WHAT!? Oh my gosh . . . no. That couldn't have always been. Even if we speak of indoor studio shots, there are times when we look right into the café from that door and see tables and chairs and the wall, not the kitchen.

It's those clever folk the set designers who put up a fake wall to block what is there in reality

It's those clever folk the set designers who put up a fake wall to block what is there in reality

Why those dirty rotten so and sos. Why I oughta . . . .!
Ah well. it just deflates me in my dream of being there one day.

Why those dirty rotten so and sos. Why I oughta . . . .!
Ah well. it just deflates me in my dream of being there one day.

Still worth a trip,when you think of all those great actors who have stepped over that threshold over the years [MENTION=272]Elmc[/MENTION]

Very early in the show that space wasn't a cafe. Years before it had been a fish and chip shop. Then the owner of the hardware store next door moved the fryers to the building across the steps next to the cafe so he could use the space to store paint. He didn't clean the cooking equipment before storing it, so by the time Summer Wine came to town it reeked so badly that you could smell it outside the building. One of the actors mentioned that the "cafe" space was quite rank, as well, so that must not have been cleaned either when it was converted to storage.

Marianna

I once committed sacrilege in Scotland by asking for Irish whiskey,(Bushmills) I have to ask if you partake of any .If so which?? :whisper:
I'd have to ask for a soda and hold the whiskey Dick! I have been teetotal for nearly seventeen years now but when I took a drink I liked a Jameson or Famous Grouse.

Which of the women do you like best and why?
Ivy would be my favourite. There was always great interaction between herself and Sid in earlier years and although she was as fearsome as the rest she had a kind side to her. Like when Foggy came back from Bridlington she welcomed him back and gave him a tea on the house and although she could have made her own life a lot easier by employing someone more competent than Milburn she took him on because he was family. Pearl (Our Pearl) made a point on the forum recently saying that the Summer wine men were complicit in there own hen pecking and I think she made a valid point! Eadie, Pearl, Nora and Ivy were all very strong women and in many ways. Although their men complained about being browbeaten I think they all felt secure in their marriages, having such bullet proof partners :20:

Morning John,
Start the day off with an easy one.

Who was your favourite director?
Alan Bell I think would be most people's favourite and mine too, but I will always be grateful to James Gilbert for series one and Ray Butt for the two fantastic 'Scarborough' episodes.

I'd have to ask for a soda and hold the whiskey Dick! I have been teetotal for nearly seventeen years now but when I took a drink I liked a Jameson or Famous Grouse.

That's fine young sir. To each his own! I like a tot now and then.:) :wink:

In what era Dick??

In the era that Summer wine is set or am I making you younger than you are?? Remember I called you young sir in my previous post :35: :35:

Sorry mate it's as clear as mud isn't it! I'll stop digging and go and stand over there :13: ;D;D

In the era that Summer wine is set or am I making you younger than you are?? Remember I called you young sir in my previous post :35: :35:

Sorry mate it's as clear as mud isn't it! I'll stop digging and go and stand over there :13: ;D;D
Ok Dick, no problem! I am 55 so I have lived through the whole Summer Wine era:16:

Very proud of you for that John! Way to go!! :respect:

Have you traveled outside Ireland? If not, where would you like to go?
Just a little Beth, holiday trips. I have been to the Canary Islands and the Balearic islands. Not lately though, I must be due for another sun holiday soon :35:

If you could pick 3 cast members to have dinner with, who would it be?

Last edited:
Back