July 2014 ask brendalovescompo

Which episode do you like the least?

Well, I am going to pick one out of the Compo era since, I have seen all of them atleast 5 times.

I would have to say Extra! Extra!, It was slow going.

I am watching the later ones on PBS. I think I am in the 2005 series. We watched last night and realizing it is not quite the same, Clegg is not in them very much, but giving them a fair chance. I would probably pick one from later series when I have seen them all.

OK Brenda, if you were single and had the opportunity to marryne of the gentleman on LOTSW, who would it be? ;D

Well I having thought about a few minutes, I weeded them out with the most obvious. Howard and Sid were out because they were womanizers. Foggy was too bossy and Compo was someone I could pal around with,but not for life. Working in a factory with mostly men,I have no problem making friends with men. I am like their little sister, and they are respectful too me. Yeah , things may get raunchy at times, but it is a factory, but no one has ever crossed the line. Plus , they know my husband!!!:me:

Seymour is too intelligent for me to get along with, and Blamire, well, just something like Foggy.

I would have to narrow it down to Wesley, and Clegg. Wesley would be a provider, and go to his shed ,to where I could do my hobbies, and there would be no problems either way. Clegg would be set in his way, and I would probably be able to do my hobbies(gardening), while he went for walks. Of course I would probably have to do the asking!!! As I don't think the character of Clegg would ask anyone to marry him.

I am going to say Clegg, I think he would be handy with the ironing!!

Thanks for the question Beth!

You'd have some competition, there, Brenda! I didn't even have to cogitate on the question. He's just too sweet to resist.

Marianna

Exactly ... he is also a good housekeeper unlike many fellows with his place always being tidy.

Quiet, reflective ... ace fellow. Also he liked to be out and about not always sat in front of the telly.

Exactly ... he is also a good housekeeper unlike many fellows with his place always being tidy.

Quiet, reflective ... ace fellow. Also he liked to be out and about not always sat in front of the telly.

And if he could bring himself to talk with a woman, he'd have interesting conversation to offer.

Marianna

And if he could bring himself to talk with a woman, he'd have interesting conversation to offer.

Marianna

Oh, quite right. I think deep down he loved his wife you could tell in some episodes when he would reflect the past. Sometimes he would cut her down. I think everyone would pick him out of all of the barmpots.:28:

How often do you watch LOTSW?

I watch at least one a day on my DVD's and if it is thru the week I watch at 10:30pm on PBS, I am up to 2005 only missing a few. One that I wanted to watch and didn't was the Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg. Sometimes if the weather is rainy and we cannot get outside or in the wintertime I watch at least 3 in a day. Sometimes a marathon, but my husband can't hang with my marathons.

Thanks for the question Beth! How about you? I don't think anyone asked that when you were up.

I really like Blamire years,but I think it is because being the beginning of this great show. I like how it was somewhat gritty and showing the sign of the times. Though looking through the early Foggy's I think they are the funniest, as far as schemes that the trio use to get into.

My husband is a Seymour fan also, What is it about the Seymour era that makes it your favorite Dick? If you don't mind answering questions?

I watch at least one a day on my DVD's and if it is thru the week I watch at 10:30pm on PBS, I am up to 2005 only missing a few. One that I wanted to watch and didn't was the Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg. Sometimes if the weather is rainy and we cannot get outside or in the wintertime I watch at least 3 in a day. Sometimes a marathon, but my husband can't hang with my marathons.

Thanks for the question Beth! How about you? I don't think anyone asked that when you were up.
Since I have been off work (short-term) at least 5 a day. I need another hobby. ;D. As I will start back to work tomorrow I will watch one a day.

I really like Blamire years,but I think it is because being the beginning of this great show. I like how it was somewhat gritty and showing the sign of the times. Though looking through the early Foggy's I think they are the funniest, as far as schemes that the trio use to get into.

My husband is a Seymour fan also, What is it about the Seymour era that makes it your favorite Dick? If you don't mind answering questions?

My all time favourite is .....Getting Barry Higher in the World .Because of the scene where Cleggy is talking to the horse and musing about The Goon Show (he looked very genuine at that moment) also the part where they stand up the hill watching the train go by. The whole show where they talk about marbles and kites just brings a more gentle feel to the programme. Seymour when he rails against whoever brings his schemes to nothing really seems to be the little man who cant get a leg up the success ladder. I know he is a bit schoolmasterish but it seems better to me than Foggy's grandiose ( at times ) military memoirs.

.... I know he is a bit schoolmasterish but it seems better to me than Foggy's grandiose ( at times ) military memoirs.

Yeah, Foggy was a bit much at times. I did get a bit tired of when he would talk to strangers about the war more than I did with the trio.

Thanks for your view on the Seymour years and thanks for the question!

Just watched your favorite again Dick, the train scene was beautiful! See what you mean about a more gentle side of the program!

Last edited:
You said you work in an auto factory, what do you do there?
Also, do you and your husband travel?, if so, where in the US would you like to visit?

You said you work in an auto factory, what do you do there?
Also, do you and your husband travel?, if so, where in the US would you like to visit?

I work for General Motors in Spring Hill, TN. I work in the stamping department where we stamp the parts for several different vehicles and ship them to assembly plants. We use to be the home of the Saturn, when that disappeared we made the Traverse for 2 years.and we are awaiting an announcement for future product.

We rotate jobs, so I run a transfer press, load parts , drive a forktruck and run an overhead crane to set the dies that make the parts. I am able to retire in a year, but will probably work another 18 months.

My husband and I have taken vacations in Daytona Florida about 5 times, Panama City, and Orange Beach a few times. Before we were married we went together and purchased an 18 foot SeaRay boat. Every weekend was a vacation for us in the summer time. Tennessee has numerous dammed lakes and we would sometimes take the boat to work and leave about 3 and hit the water by 4 and water ski till dark. Then when I had the kids things slowed down a lot. Eventually moving up to a 21ft SeaRay. By the time the kids were teens our bodies were breaking down and the kids were not wanting to camp and boat. Getting up off the ground was starting to hurt. We have been without a boat for about 4 years now and I do miss it, but I don't think I would have the strength anymore. I would have that Suburban packed with everything but the kitchen sink!!!

When I retire our plans are to make a trip to Yorkshire. So in about 2-3 years lookout here we come!!

Sorry so long, and thanks for the question Darin

Back