Johnny Leeze

Douglas Enwright

Dedicated Member
I was watching Why does Norman Clegg buy ladies elastic stockings tonight and Johnny Leeze appeared driving a Yorkshire Electricity Board van to Seymours cottage,I’v also seen him in other episodes as a security guard at the library,looking for a lost dog (I think it was Fifi) and I’m pretty certain he came into the shed containing the coffin in Getting Sam home to collect some tools with a relative of Sams,that’s four appearances that I know of where someone isn’t obviously playing the same character,are there any more appearances by him and is this a record number of times someone has appeared throughout the shows run,I know other characters returned playing other characters,but two is the most I can think of Mrs Potts/Nellie and Lennies wife/Stella,but Johnny Leeze returned at least four times in very short appearances almost as an extra.
Chuffer x

Good question Chuffer. Maggie Ollarenshaw played a few characters including Cleggs mum in 1st of the summer wine. Even Tom Owen had a part before he arrived as Compos son. Jim Bowen was another. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will throw more names in the hat shortly.

Good catch on Leeze, I didn't even notice it was the same actor.

The one I've noted before is Frances Cox. She was the widow Annie in "Flower Power Cut," Jessie in "Happy Anniversary Gough and Jessie," and finally appeared as one of the church outing ladies interested in Clegg in "The Suit that Turned Left" twenty years after her first appearance. You could argue its the same character the latter two times though.

There is a long list of actors who appeared twice playing different characters.

Ferret my friend !!!!...I totally agree !!!!....
Michael Ripper had the perfect name and the perfect face for horror !!!...
It was those piercing eyes......he looked like a "wrong un" !!!...they were hypnotic.....especially for a young Scouse scallywag !!!...I used to hide behind the sofa !!!!...a VERY COMMON practice in the 1970's which has sadly diminished...it's funny......not only did I hide behind the sofa.....I used to cover my ryes with my hands as well !!!...OH THE OLD CUSTOMS ARE THE BEST !!!.
X!

...I used to hide behind the sofa !!!!...a VERY COMMON practice in the 1970's which has sadly diminished...it's funny......not only did I hide behind the sofa.....

Sorry for off topic tangent here, I've heard reference to kids doing this while watching Dr. Who. Especially when the Daleks and other nasties came on screen. So, this was actually a thing? Kids did this?

I ask because doing this never occurred to me. Our couches were either up against a wall or had a large roll-top desk behind it that my dad used. So, no chance to duck behind the couch or any other furniture :(. Would have been nice during a few creepy episodes of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits.

Believe the reference I first heard it from years ago was on the extremely funny British sitcom Coupling. One of the main characters, Steve, mentioned hiding behind sofa as a kid and Dr Who.

Last edited:
Good question Chuffer. Maggie Ollarenshaw played a few characters including Cleggs mum in 1st of the summer wine. Even Tom Owen had a part before he arrived as Compos son. Jim Bowen was another. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will throw more names in the hat shortly.
I remember Tom at the cash machine Graham,I think he briefly spoke to his Dad,I remember Jim Bowen at the library too,throwing them out for some reason

Cannon & Ball appeared in Swam Man of Ilkely, Who's That talking to Lenny and Get Out Of That Then.
Three of my favourite episodes Charlie,I always wished Bobby had become a regular,and that instead of Stella the actress playing her continued her role as Lennies wife instead of Stella,and we could have had Lennie next door to Alvin too playing the Wally role being dominated by his wife (not that anyone could ever replace the brilliant Joe Gladwin,one of my favourite characters ever)

Good catch on Leeze, I didn't even notice it was the same actor.

The one I've noted before is Frances Cox. She was the widow Annie in "Flower Power Cut," Jessie in "Happy Anniversary Gough and Jessie," and finally appeared as one of the church outing ladies interested in Clegg in "The Suit that Turned Left" twenty years after her first appearance. You could argue its the same character the latter two times though.

There is a long list of actors who appeared twice playing different characters.
Amazing spot Sarkus,I had to google an image of Frances Cox,I recognised her but would never have linked her to several episodes,let alone naming them ! Wow.

Johnny Leaze also appeared in Open All Hours and played 3 different characters in Coronation Street amongst his other well known roles.
No idea about that either ferret,every time I come on here I learn something,no wonder the established members are so knowledgeable.

The go to man for support characters in British Comedy was Gordon Peters he's been in everything but sadly only one appearance in LOTSW but he amassed four roles in Dad's Army.
captain yet again I had to go to my phone and google that name,I’m afraid I can’t place him,what role did he play in LOTSW ? I also consider myself a Dad’s Army fan but can’t place him in that either,what roles did he play in that please ?
Suh a wealth of knowledge on this site about all things I love.

Going off tangent again like I do my favourite ‘go to man’ was Michael Ripper. If he was in a Hammer film I knew it was going to be great.
Out with the google images again,didn’t know the name at all ferret but instantly recognisable,I thought I was pretty well versed with LOTSW and British comedies and films,especially older ones,but you all put me to shame.

Ferret my friend !!!!...I totally agree !!!!....
Michael Ripper had the perfect name and the perfect face for horror !!!...
It was those piercing eyes......he looked like a "wrong un" !!!...they were hypnotic.....especially for a young Scouse scallywag !!!...I used to hide behind the sofa !!!!...a VERY COMMON practice in the 1970's which has sadly diminished...it's funny......not only did I hide behind the sofa.....I used to cover my ryes with my hands as well !!!...OH THE OLD CUSTOMS ARE THE BEST !!!.
X!
I didn’t know the name MoodyBlue but as soon as I looked him up I knew him,and agree with everything you say.

Back