Jay Hunt

wstol

Dedicated Member
It's about two since the final series of LOTSW was transmitted. No surprise one off special or new series yet, even from another channel.

So how are you all enjoying the 'new, young fresh blood' Jay Hunt replaced it with?

Almost everything new on telly is crapaloosa. Am I alowed to say that? I like George Gently. Thats okay.

Almost everything new on telly is crapaloosa. Am I alowed to say that? I like George Gently. Thats okay.

I agree with everything you said, and I'm sure your allowed to speak Greek on this forum ;D

Double Dutch: - Very interesting analysis here: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/double-dutch.html

I was particularly struck with:

"The Anglo-Dutch wars of the 17th and 18th centuries were acrimonious even by the usual standards of war. Following the conflicts the English came to hold the Dutch in very low regard and as a consequence there are numerous English phrases which portray them in an unflattering light, often as skinflints or drunkards. The common strand in all of these disparaging 'Dutch' expressions is that anything Dutch is the opposite of what it ought to be. Examples of these expressions are:

Dutch bargain - a bargain made when one is debilitated by drink - first recorded in 1654.
Dutch defence - a legal defence in which the defendant seeks clemency by deceitfully betraying others - 1749.
Dutch comfort - cold comfort; only good because things could have been worse - 1796.
Dutch metal/Dutch gold - a cheap alloy resembling gold - 1825.
Dutch courage - brash bravery induced by drink - 1826.
Dutch treat - no treat as such; each person pays for their own expenses - 1887.

Added to that list is 'double Dutch'. The Anglo-Dutch wars were a very long time ago and we are all friends now, but at this point we can introduce another reason for the English to have held on so long to hostile stereotyping of the Dutch, that is, the link with the UK's 20th century military rivals, the Germans. 'Dutch' was originally the generic name for both Germans and, as they were formally called, Hollanders. High Dutch was the language of southern Germany and Low Dutch the language of The Netherlands. "

Analysis:

When you look at the root of the word "analysis", does it not provoke the definition, "Getting to the bottom of"?

Wow, not only a happy friendly place to come and enjoy talking about the best TV progam ever but you get an education too :D

Thank you Big Unc that was very interresting :)

Hey...I'm adding "crapaloosa" to my vocabulary!!! ;D ;D ;D
There are moments when that word would be perfect!

Tell me about it. I seem to be using it a lot more these days. Life gets a bit crapaloosa on times! This weeks been brilliant, though. Another week off and I discovered a road back to my area from Crickhowell I'd never been on before. Sounds a bit daft, saying it like that, but it's so pretty, all fields and tiny villages, It takes me across a 17th century stone bridge and wanders through some beautiful scenery. I drove along it today.
I must say, from Big Uncs post, the Dutch sound a bit suspect. I can't say I know of anyone Dutch. But don't they do nice hot chocolate?
Susan, I'll try to improve my Greek! My English is rocky enough!!

Tell me about it. I seem to be using it a lot more these days. Life gets a bit crapaloosa on times! This weeks been brilliant, though. Another week off and I discovered a road back to my area from Crickhowell I'd never been on before. Sounds a bit daft, saying it like that, but it's so pretty, all fields and tiny villages, It takes me across a 17th century stone bridge and wanders through some beautiful scenery. I drove along it today.
I must say, from Big Uncs post, the Dutch sound a bit suspect. I can't say I know of anyone Dutch. But don't they do nice hot chocolate?
Susan, I'll try to improve my Greek! My English is rocky enough!!

Your English is perfect ;D But I thought the Belgins did the good chocolate?
Anyway the English don't anymore not since the Cadbury take over >:(

And you new road sounds lovely :D

Jay Hunt? Sounds a lot like what myself and my ex army friends called the guy who killed LOTSW and was supposed to replace it, what an idiot that guy clearly is....... ::)

I will not divulge further, for reasons I am sure are apparent ;)

Jay Hunt? Sounds a lot like what myself and my ex army friends called the guy who killed LOTSW and was supposed to replace it, what an idiot that guy clearly is....... ::)

I will not divulge further, for reasons I am sure are apparent ;)

The name which I think I can guess, would of no doubt be very applicable to this individual ;D

Right enough, Susan, the Belgians do the chocolate. So what do the Dutch do? Tulips? Bacon? I've been to Holland. But it was a choir trip....and I don't remember much....but i'm happy to learn what the Dutch do.
Anyway! I loved todays Summer Wine. Clegg and that bicycle! Mr Sallis is really very funny, isn't he?

Back