Jan 2014 ask Darren

Darren, if you could bring back Summer Wine with the same characters but with different actors who would you cast?

to be honest under those circumstances I wouldn't bring it back, I could never see anyone else playing the older Clegg, Compo or Foggy, why mess with the perfection we had. however if I was to bring the show back I would go for a mix of the actors who are still alive and a new set of characters so there was still the old faces there but maybe freshen it up with newcomers, but of course this is all speculative cause unfortunately I cant see the BBC ever wanting to bring it back

I would bring back Tom Owen with two others and I would cause him to be transformed into an antitheses of his father, that is someone who is really neatly dressed always with a snappy bow tie, suspenders, snazzy suit, etc. He would be the proprietor of a bookstore with a table in the back where he hangs out with his two cohorts who are also smartly dressed. All three are rebelling against fathers who were slobs. Tom would fabricate a previous career as a philosophy professor and constantly bore everyone with his tall tales of his teaching career at an obscure university. The second man would be a klutz, and is emotionally always trying to discover himself. The third man would be a former golfer who always is trying to take up the game again. As a former golfer he dresses in snazzy but loud plaid plus fours. They spend their time trying to come up with schemes to surreptitiously extend their childhood without appearing to do so and fruitless attempts to understand the female sex in spite of fact that Tom was previously married and the second man has a wife that is always discussed but never seen.

I like the sound of that, I'd watch it ;D ;D
Could the golfer be Scottish? I like the accent ;)

adanor, that is a good idea!! :) :) :) :). Call it Sour Grapes. You put some thought it to that, Love the idea of how they are total opposite of their fathers. Know anyone at the BBC??

How often do you get to go and see Newcastle play?

well john seeing im in the west midlands it is hard to get up there, then the cost of tickets are very expensive these days especially for someone who is unemployed, however I did go up a few times last season for the Europa League games cause the tickets were only £20 so I could put that into my budget and did enjoy going up for European nights which I did do when I was in my teens but last season was the first time I went to see them live since 2009, I will admit during the shearer years I would see them at least 5 times a season home and away and was at his testimonial as well, but nowadays its just that bit too expensive for tickets when you compare the price of the tickets all year with other ways of watching football i.e. tv

New Castle? I guess that is where my husbands beer is from. He likes the New Castle Werewolf, it is the hardest one to find here in the states. They either carry Regular NC , or the darker Cabbie beer(ale), whatever. I am not a beer connoisseur, let alone a drinker. Since I am on the subject Darren. Are you an ale drinker? If so what is your poison?

New Castle? I guess that is where my husbands beer is from. He likes the New Castle Werewolf, it is the hardest one to find here in the states. They either carry Regular NC , or the darker Cabbie beer(ale), whatever. I am not a beer connoisseur, let alone a drinker. Since I am on the subject Darren. Are you an ale drinker? If so what is your poison?

its not New Castle Brenda, its one word Newcastle, but funnily enough they do have famous ale from there called Newcastle Brown Ale, never had it myself. im not much of a drinker cause of the medication im on, however I do enjoy the occasional pint of Stella Artois Cidre but I might have about 2 pints a month max

Darren, you said you were unemployed. What type of job(s) did you have? Are you looking to do something different,or is the job market there as bad as it is here in the United States?

Darren, you said you were unemployed. What type of job(s) did you have? Are you looking to do something different,or is the job market there as bad as it is here in the United States?

im unemployed due to ill health, before that I was a baker but when I get back into work I think I would do something different, the job market isn't great so to start with might have to do voluntary work to start with

Can I ask why do you support Newcastle?

its simple really, I was getting interested in football around 1996 and of course the country had the European championships that year and of course as football fans remember Alan Shearer was on fire for England during the competition and he became my favourite player, soon after he moved to Newcastle and since then have followed Newcastle since, my parents did think that once he retired I would stop following Newcastle but have carried on supporting them even threw the relegation and still do now and will forever.

If you were marooned on a desert island and could chose to have three of your favourite personal items with you,what would they be an why ???

If you were marooned on a desert island and could chose to have three of your favourite personal items with you, what would they be an why ???

I will go for a dvd player to keep me occupied during the bored bits, my collection of Last of the Summer Wine episodes to watch on the dvd player to stave off boredom and I will say a blanket or rug for when its cold to keep warm

You mention illness and unemployment Darren. Have you had any sarcasm etc for being unemployed.?? I ask this because, I had to retire early due to an accident and endured years of snide comments from some of my in laws( outlaws) so as not to cause upset between my wife and her family. They conveniently forgot the years I worked 10 and 12 hours a day so I did not have to claim social .(I would have been better off at the time!)

You mention illness and unemployment Darren. Have you had any sarcasm etc for being unemployed.?? I ask this because, I had to retire early due to an accident and endured years of snide comments from some of my in laws( outlaws) so as not to cause upset between my wife and her family. They conveniently forgot the years I worked 10 and 12 hours a day so I did not have to claim social .(I would have been better off at the time!)

no I have never had any sarcasm to my face, everyone I know have been supportive of me when they've seen me since ive been ill. can imagine some people would give snide comments cause its not nice being unemployed due to health issues.

I know what you have gone thru Dick.. My husband was put on permanent disability at 41. I am still working , planning to retire, so the snide remarks have slowed down a bit. My son was 4 at the time and he became Mr. Mom. People were awful. He would give up his illness to go back to work. Not from the family, but his co-workers. Like he got one over on the company and the government. Never missed a day of work since he was 16. Even people at a church we once attended , they were the worst. They should have known better. >:( I let them have it!! Of course we never went back. ;) ;)

I had to bite my tongue,(don't rock the boat) needless to say, since my wife died they are quite concerned about how I am etc but things will never be the same regarding my feelings toward them. ::) ::)

I know what you have gone thru Dick.. My husband was put on permanent disability at 41. I am still working , planning to retire, so the snide remarks have slowed down a bit. My son was 4 at the time and he became Mr. Mom. People were awful. He would give up his illness to go back to work. Not from the family, but his co-workers. Like he got one over on the company and the government. Never missed a day of work since he was 16. Even people at a church we once attended , they were the worst. They should have known better. >:( I let them have it!! Of course we never went back. ;) ;)
That's awful Brenda, not what you'd expect from church goers :(

Back