Ivy's Insults

J

John

Anyone else love these scenes with Ivy insulting Nora and Nora doing her shrivelled mouth look.

One of my faves -

Nora - 'I want it to be established that this is a no-nonsense hat.

Ivy - 'I think you've cracked it, love!'

(Nora does her shrivelled mouth look) ;D

Nora got her own back once while talking about Ivy's pastry. Can't remember which episode though.

You are right it is not easy. But what is even worse is that you get your food insulted and still the guests eat it. So it couldn't be that bad after all.. LOL

Must admit that pastry isn't as easy as people think. Even the rtemperature of the dough is important.

Sue thats cheating ,as Nora said to Ivy its all about the fat you use and frozen does not offer a choice Ivy always said that catering pastry is different to home.Always wanted to try Ivys yorkshire pudding and onion gravy as its a dish I like.

I'd never even think about making puff pastry. As you say Sue, there's better at the shops. But I do make regular short crust pastry. And yes, you're right, it is all about the fat! And the flour must be cool as well as the icy water.

I make really good scones, but my pastry is rubbish, I follow my mother's recipe, 2oz lard, 2oz margarine, 4oz selfraising flour. Hers was great, but she could not make scones. Strange.

I make really good scones, but my pastry is rubbish, I follow my mother's recipe, 2oz lard, 2oz margarine, 4oz selfraising flour. Hers was great, but she could not make scones. Strange.
My mother could home-bake bread to die for but her pie pastry was hard and brittle ,also her yorkshires were as flat as naan bread. We kids used to smother her "failures" in jam sometimes and eat them that way :D

My mother could home-bake bread to die for but her pie pastry was hard and brittle ,also her yorkshires were as flat as naan bread. We kids used to smother her "failures" in jam sometimes and eat them that way :D
I bet the yorkshires tasted strange in jam ;D

My approach to pastry is to go to a cafe and order the pie or bun with a cup of tea or coffee. That is much easier than making it yourself!

Back