Ivy's Double News Item

works for me. but when did Ivy need a double?
I wondered that too, then i thought of some of the Edie driving scenes :D They were all probably doubles in the jerky' take off ' scenes. ::)

I wondered that too, then i thought of some of the Edie driving scenes :D They were all probably doubles in the jerky' take off ' scenes. ::)

But it was the real trio in the car when Clegg backed into the pond at Seymour's house. But if I recall correctly, he didn't mean to.

Before i moved to Wales in 1988, i lived about four miles from Burnley.
Maybe the double was needed when Ivy had to do any physical stuff, such as when she tripped over Foggy's pole in the Cafe and sent the tray of Ketchup bottles flying?

G ; )

Jane Freeman had great trouble walking in later years,so I suspect it was for scenes that required Ivy to move around a lot.

But it was the real trio in the car when Clegg backed into the pond at Seymour's house. But if I recall correctly, he didn't mean to.
Sorry UNC i did not explain myself properly, i meant the scenes where Edie was taking the ladies for a drive. ::)

Sorry UNC i did not explain myself properly, i meant the scenes where Edie was taking the ladies for a drive. ::)

Nay, twasn'a thee, lad. I was combining this discussion on Ivy's double with another on another thread - might even have been on another forum, about the use of double's for the trio. There has been some debate sonewhere about when the use of doubles became routine.

Ah, now the link works for me. LOL, until I read the text I was wondering why she looks so Bavarian on the photo. Yes, I suppose it´s what you already have said, Ivy tripping, falling or walking a distance would require a double if Jane Freeman has walking difficulties. In one episode I noticed her ankles looked swollen, it may have been The Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg when they were all standing on the pavement in their best clothes.
As for the doubles of the trio, yes, they came in with Seymour, I think Michael Aldridge suggested the doubles could do much more than they were doing till then, aprt from the stunts. And yes, Cleggy was driving the car backwards, but was supposed to stop before it broke the fence and landed in the pond, but for some reason he didn´t and by accident drove right into it. LOL, I wish they had filmed that.

I thought that the car was filmed in the pond outside Seymour's - will have to check whehn I have some time tomorrow ....

I thought that the car was filmed in the pond outside Seymour's - will have to check whehn I have some time tomorrow ....

That is correct. The point is though that it went in earlier than was intended and went in with Peter Sallis at the wheel. Have tried to check a reference to this but I think I saw it narrated by Peter Sallis in an interview. I recall that there was a camera mounted on the car which should not have been there when it went in the water. Camera crew were far more worried about their equipment that the three (or might have been four) actors in the car.

Yes, it was in the 25th anniversary show (possibly also in the 30th), Bill Owen started to talk about the subject, then Peter Sallis took over and then they showed the scene, but as it was supposed to be, not the blooper. Yes, Bill Owen mentioned the director shouting "Save the camera!" and that he replied something that the BBC won´t allow him to repeat...

Back