ITV's all male comedy writing ban

You're right, as kids we had 3 channels and we'd have something to watch every night that wasn't wall to wall soaps which I hate, the more channels added the more chose the more it went down hill.
Don't forget all the reality shows, I don't know how the world coped before that drivel took to our airwaves!!!

Well said Mr Chuckle its lazy TV because they take unknown wannabees pay them money they probably would never earn in normal live plus get them to advertise product lines to make even more money , especially for the TV Production company, and then toss them aside like old socks when they have outlived their worth . Some survive and go onto other things , others fall by the wayside and it can often become a very sad tale of woe and of course has been tragic . The content of these shows is often questionable to promote shock amongst older viewers and gain fans in the younger generation by getting the shows trending on Social Media . To be frank the last bastion of any quality lies in BBC Radio from my perspective with a great mix of comedy, factual programmes and drama all available on their channels and IPlayer service

I am waiting for the BBC to launch Britbox in the UK, it has been available in the states for a while and contains,yes you guessed it, most of the stuff they have pumped out on the UKTV brand on satellite, so once again they are hoping you will pay £5.99p a month plus the licence fee, to watch stuff as a licence payer you have paid for over the years, while in the meantime they will pump out utter rubbish on the main channels.
On the US Britbox is the first 8 series of LOSW and I guess they will dribble the other series out when demand drops, they even have ITV content with Emmerdale and Corrie, starting at the beginning.

It will be interesting to see the UK content when launched and compare, to see the US content I have had to use a VPN and make out I live there,which made me laugh saying the content is only available if I live there, yet all the BBC content is what I helped pay for

Are we saying that an ITV comedy cannot be written by just ONE male writer, or are we saying two or more male writers??

Either way, it's political correctness gone mad.

This logic would surely have to be applied to every other profession then surely - to make it fair?

Why can't people be comedy writers by their own merits, why does their gender have to come into it?

Let's name some female comedy writers. It is a hard task, I'll admit that. Carla Lane and Victoria Wood are the obvious ones. They were good writers, and they were successful by their own efforts.

ITV used to churn out a lot of half decent comedy shows in the 60s-early 90s. Virtually every night there was a half hour comedy. We don't have that now - and what they do make isn't often any good, or suitable for the whole family.

Two modern female writers who have enjoyed success Lise Mayer was a co writer of the Young Ones and the wonderful but sadly taken way to soon Caroline Aherne who was a co writer of the excellent Fast Show and of course the wonderful Royle Family which was groundbreaking .

Can you imagine the conversation with the ITV Head today, "thank your Mr Croft & Mr Perry for your WW2 homeguard comedy, but it's not for us unless it's by Mr Croft & Mrs Perry" or "This prison comedy will never work as it won't have broad appeal Mr La Frenais & Mr Clement as a female hasn't had an input"

Absolute Joke

Connie Booth co-wrote the tremendous Fawlty Towers with John Cleese.

I often wondered who wrote which bits
Also her and John Cleese were going through a very acrimonious separation at the time they wrote it which makes the amazing series even more remarkable.

OH HECK, I do like to add a bit of humour {in case you hadn't noticed} in my postings. Does this mean that I will now have to get my wife help me to write them??? Dick, Captain and all the other guys who make me laugh, will you be seeking verification from your better halves that your material is acceptable? :20::(:eek2:

OH HECK, I do like to add a bit of humour {in case you hadn't noticed} in my postings. Does this mean that I will now have to get my wife help me to write them??? Dick, Captain and all the other guys who make me laugh, will you be seeking verification from your better halves that your material is acceptable? :20::(:eek2:
I have no "better half " anymore so people will just have to accept my "juvenile ?" humour as it comes !:08:

Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned respected comedy writers Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin are writing a new comedy.

Their work includes Shelley and Drop the Dead Donkey (set in a newsroom).

I have an idea they can use for a new sitcom, which hasn't done been done before:
The setting is a tv company/studio, where two seasoned male comedy writers meet to write their latest tv sitcom, when one day this young woman is forced on them to give them new ideas, and they try to get rid of her with hilarious consequences...

I agree this is political correctness gone mad. It was probably an idea put forward with the best of intentions but in practice, having a "token" female or females in a male writing team (or vice versa - token male(s) in female writing team) would seem so forced and artificial and I'm sure would stifle creativity. What next, comedies written by a computer which has been programmed to give offence to no-one?

To answer Barrychuckle's question "I also wonder whether LOTSW would have been any better if Roy Clarke was compelled to have a female co-writer or not?" - Very much doubt it! Roy Clarke's writing is perfect as it stands.
Everybody is wild to climb aboard the political correct train. Very sad. To be political correct is to destroy creativity, innovation, and art in all forms. When political correctness prevails it is like a London pea soup fog, the destruction left by a tornado or a hurricane, or a raging wild fire.

Never mind the PC stupidity brigade, there are disturbances in India and Hong Kong, the ice is melting and there are fires in the Rain Forest. All the more reason for the comedy writers, male and/or female to pound their keyboards and write something funny!

Back