It takes a village?

bigcat

I'm deep into the long season 9 and it is amazing how the cast has expanded. It is now almost as much about the friends and neighbors as about the trio.
The cafe with Ivy and now Crusher has always been there as has Nora as Compo's neighbor and interest. Wally seems to be featured more now both as a fellow for the trio to hang out with on occasion and with Nora. Ivy and Nora are also given little bits were they are together talking about men and other things.
Howard, Pearl and Marina were introduced last season and seem to pop in at least for a bit most episodes. Wesley has suddenly grown a family with a wife, a daughter and a son-in-law. Combined with Seymour as the new third man, Wesley's role has often expanded as has Barry's a bit.

The town seems to be playing a greater role for instance Clegg's house and that of Howard are seen regularly now as is Wesley's house and shed. It reminds me a bit of how Mayberry was almost a character in the Andy Griffith Show.

What do folks think of this expanding cast and setting? I know some of this was touched on earlier so pardon if this is somewhat redundant. I do find it fascinating to see such explosive growth in roughly half a season and a special. I'm not sure I've ever seen this much of a change in a sitcom before.

The programme was Forever changing and I think that's why it lasted so long, it needed new characters now and then even if they were short lived, I liked most but some of the later ones I wasn't so keen one, to be honest I rarely watch episodes after series 22 but watch the earlier ones very often.

I suspect I will be the same. Long ago I watched through Compo's passing and then stopped. It will be interesting to see if I can go forward after that this time and meet some of the newer characters.

I suspect I will be the same. Long ago I watched through Compo's passing and then stopped. It will be interesting to see if I can go forward after that this time and meet some of the newer characters.
As I've said previously just watch the episodes with an open mind and I'm sure you'll grow to love them :) . They do get a little hit and miss towards the end of the series, but remember LOTSW was more of an ensemble comedy along the lines of Dads Army so there was every reason it could continue after Compo IMO. Just remember that most of the regular characters we know and love are still there Clegg, Howard, Marina, Barry etc....

The way I look at it, LOTSW without Compo is still infinitely better than much of the drivel which passes as comedy these days.

I liked the addition of characters. It gave the main trio more people to interact with. The show was going to be called 'The Library Mob'. How long would have the show lasted if all they ever did was leave home, go to the library, argue with the librarian, get thrown out, try to get back in, give up and then go home. And then do the same the next day.

Barrychuckle, it certainly had turned into an ensemble as I've been watching it which is fascinating. It should help carry the show though the changes though we shall see...

Adrian Morris, that is true. I can't see the library idea carrying this show past a few seasons. The town and the setting are almost stars in their own right and certainly that library didn't have the same appeal.

I absolutely love watching the transitions of the show. It's sad when I know Blamire leaves but it's exciting knowing all of Foggy's adventures are ahead. It's sad to see Foggy leave, but Trully is a very welcoming sight.

As mentioned in previous posts, I generally think of Series 8-11 as the greatest era because it has both elements of the old Summer Wine with that of the new.

Well I'm in luck as I'm hitting the greatest era then! There do seem to be fun episodes from the half dozen or so I've watched in this long season thus far.

As I've said previously just watch the episodes with an open mind and I'm sure you'll grow to love them :) . They do get a little hit and miss towards the end of the series, but remember LOTSW was more of an ensemble comedy along the lines of Dads Army so there was every reason it could continue after Compo IMO. Just remember that most of the regular characters we know and love are still there Clegg, Howard, Marina, Barry etc....

The way I look at it, LOTSW without Compo is still infinitely better than much of the drivel which passes as comedy these days.

There seems to be little in the way of comedies which appeal to all age groups these days.

They do tend to run together somewhat. I did particularly like the wild blue yonder with the hang gliding and the one with the train I remember. Also the one with the church float for the parade. Oh and Greenfingers with the carrot.

I'm deep into the long season 9 and it is amazing how the cast has expanded. It is now almost as much about the friends and neighbors as about the trio.
The cafe with Ivy and now Crusher has always been there as has Nora as Compo's neighbor and interest. Wally seems to be featured more now both as a fellow for the trio to hang out with on occasion and with Nora. Ivy and Nora are also given little bits were they are together talking about men and other things.
Howard, Pearl and Marina were introduced last season and seem to pop in at least for a bit most episodes. Wesley has suddenly grown a family with a wife, a daughter and a son-in-law. Combined with Seymour as the new third man, Wesley's role has often expanded as has Barry's a bit.

The town seems to be playing a greater role for instance Clegg's house and that of Howard are seen regularly now as is Wesley's house and shed. It reminds me a bit of how Mayberry was almost a character in the Andy Griffith Show.

What do folks think of this expanding cast and setting? I know some of this was touched on earlier so pardon if this is somewhat redundant. I do find it fascinating to see such explosive growth in roughly half a season and a special. I'm not sure I've ever seen this much of a change in a sitcom before.
Well, it was always much easier to feature Clegg's and Howard's houses after they "moved" as it was much easier to film. They could do much more such as putting a ladder up to the window, vehicles arriving and departing, larger groups of people, etc.

Back