It is a Sad Day When

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
A spin off from the series,which revolves around the Policeman,filmed in North Yorkshire,Written by Roy Clarke and directed by Alan Bell will not be commissioned,it seems that NONE of the TV companies want to buy the show, it makes no sense to me whatsoever,even UK gold turned it down,yet LOSW has been their Bread and Butter for donkeys years,I feel sure that if it went out on one of the Sky satellite channels,it would be the one thing that would get me to part with some of my money,so that I could see it.

To me it seems what these companies term as Comedy these days must be written by a 10 year old, then vetted by some adult who add's the bad language to to try and get the young adult to laugh at it,the sad thing is I have tried to watch some of this new comedy as it has the odd quality Star appearing,and they are utter rubbish,I can only assume it is the only way these actors can still get paid. That must of been the only reason David Jason did the Royal Bodyguard show,he would of known it was terrible but he needs to earn money or the promise he can do something else if he does this rubbish.

It is time the TV companies stopped treating us as Idiots and pretending they know what we want to watch, it is getting worse with the mainstream channels,at peak viewing times it is either repeats or even more reality TV, no comedy or decent drama to be seen

What are your sources that state this show won't be made?

As interesting as this show may have been, I can't help thinking it would be simpler and more successful making another series of Last of the Summer Wine (only if Peter Sallis is in it in some capacity) or a spin off series with a similar but different title featuring most of the extended cast.

You would think the BBC or UK Gold would be interested. LOTSW has never been a flop - even during it's less impressive moments.

I don't know why the series had to be brought to a definite end without giving it an actual ending.

I don't know why the series had to be axed, when it could have been just shelved - the storyline for series 31 wouldn't have been any different.

Though the series lost it's real magic a long time ago, the series could continue in some form. It's now three years since the last programme was made. It's not too late at the moment.

What I keep wondering is if a new programme or series was made, would Sallis and Thornton be prepared to make bit parts again?

I'm very sorry to hear that, I would have loved to have watch it. I know what you mean when you say that the new rubbish ... Erm comedy is rubbish, I watched that new Sky comedy Gates the other night and I sat there waiting to laugh or even smiley!! It never happened, when it finished I reread the synopsis to see if it did say comedy. It was utter tosh. I honestly did not know which part was supposed to be funny. :-\ :-X

What are your sources that state this show won't be made?

As interesting as this show may have been, I can't help thinking it would be simpler and more successful making another series of Last of the Summer Wine (only if Peter Sallis is in it in some capacity) or a spin off series with a similar but different title featuring most of the extended cast.

You would think the BBC or UK Gold would be interested. LOTSW has never been a flop - even during it's less impressive moments.

I don't know why the series had to be brought to a definite end without giving it an actual ending.

I don't know why the series had to be axed, when it could have been just shelved - the storyline for series 31 wouldn't have been any different.

Though the series lost it's real magic a long time ago, the series could continue in some form. It's now three years since the last programme was made. It's not too late at the moment.

What I keep wondering is if a new programme or series was made, would Sallis and Thornton be prepared to make bit parts again?

My source is the people trying to make the show,they have been trying to sell it to the TV companies with no takers,of course it would be great to have more losw or even a final special but all attempts at that have failed,once again other TV companies would not buy the show

I'm very sorry to hear that, I would have loved to have watch it. I know what you mean when you say that the new rubbish ... Erm comedy is rubbish, I watched that new Sky comedy Gates the other night and I sat there waiting to laugh or even smiley!! It never happened, when it finished I reread the synopsis to see if it did say comedy. It was utter tosh. I honestly did not know which part was supposed to be funny. :-\ :-X

Thanks for the heads up re Gates,I was going to find someone who had recorded it to see what it was like but I won't bother now,I saw part of that show Trollied and that seemed to be utter tosh

Happen to be I was just going to download Gates. Thanks for the warning...

I haver to concur entirely. Modern comedy is by and large, mainly composed of people being vulgar and lewd in the extreme. Glad I have a lot of DVDs and tapes to keep me occupied.

Just been reading what we have been saying about Full Steam Behind in the polls - three actors, a steam locomotive and a brass band on the platform ... there is no comparison ...

I saw that Trollied and it was tosh! But have to say sadly it was funnier that Gates!
I won't be bothering with it again, its a shame because I like Sue Johnson.

Sue Johnston said that the Christmas Special of "The Royle Family" for this year is on.

Also she has now joined Coronation Street..

The stupid young woman who canned our show is a typical tv excec obsessed with atrracting youth (no good they are all drunk) so called programing now is mostly rubbish with occasional greats,Downton ,etc.

I wrote to a number of t.v. companies regarding the commissioning of the Cooper and Walsh series. Do you know, only I.T.V. even had the courtesy to respond.
You're all right, modern comedy is rubbish. Bob Monkhouse said about alternative comedy that the 'alternative' is that it's not funny.

I wrote to a number of t.v. companies regarding the commissioning of the Cooper and Walsh series. Do you know, only I.T.V. even had the courtesy to respond.
You're all right, modern comedy is rubbish. Bob Monkhouse said about alternative comedy that the 'alternative' is that it's not funny.

When ever I hear the word "Alternative" I always think, alliterative to funny, its all smut and foul language.

I agree with the fact today's so called 'comedy' lacks comedy. The classic sitcoms are the best I always feel, in the day when fine actors were available and many of them there were. I think the idea for a series for our two LOTSW policemen is a great one, and I too believe it is an outrage that no one will buy it, how do they know if they don't try? :(

The classic sitcoms are the best I always feel, in the day when fine actors were available and many of them there were......, how do they know if they don't try? :(

Times have changed, probably for the worse.
I've been watching a load of Steptoe & son episodes on Youtube over the last few days and i enjoyed them immensely, same with dads army, porridge and rising damp.
I suspect that quite a few of us are in our later years, i'm 58 and i enjoy comedy, science fiction, motor sports and music, etc.
I personally tend to look back nostalgically and remember what times were like back in the 50's - onwards, as i'm sure many others do but that seems to be all we can do these days, because it's a massively different generation that are being catered for, in both the media and marketing.
The TV production budgets are much tighter than they were back then, so the money is being spent on the dross that is being churned out for this generation and believe me, it is the media that is pretty much controlling what we watch and when we watch it, Emmerdale, Coronation St, Eastenders, i haven't seen any of them for over ten years, they got formulaic and predictable, people started to believe that that is how most of us live, with the result that eventually, people started to live like that, media control, knowledge is power!

G ; )

The above is very true.
But then again we have been watching On The Buses in the afternoons, how they got away with that I don't know. The worst is thinking that we would believe that a sad old man like Stan Butler would get all of these dolly birds!
I often wonder what my grandfather would think of todays world. He only went to the cinema once, to see Sampson and Delila. He never went again.

Stan's pretty nifty with the birds, despite the actor being 53 in the first episode, and 57 in the last episode.

It's a shame. Looks as though the only route would be an appeal for funding from fans, then making the episodes and releasing them on DVD, and then selling the episodes to GOLD, so they wouldn't have to do any work themselves.

I expect it would be too expensive to raise the money. :(

Back