Is this a mistake not noticed?

Buzz

Hi. During lockdown, I've been rewatching episodes of LSW on Brtibox. I think I found an error in one episode that may not have been mentioned.

In the episode "Going to Gordon's Wedding" (S03E06), Compo is supposed to be Gordon's uncle. The trio, Foggy, Clegg and Compo arrive at Gordon's family house so they can travel to the wedding together. . Gordon's mother comes out, sees them and says, "Hello, Bill" referring to Bill Owen. I believe she should have said "Hello, Compo" as there were no characters named Bill.

Has anyone else caught this? (it's at approximately 13:30)

Also when Gordon is asking who is new best man is going to be, he replies Uncle Bill, but Compo's full name in the series is William Simmonite, so not unusual to be called Bill

He was also referred to as Uncle Bill in the 'The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper' and 'Cheering Up Gordon' episodes.

Also when Gordon is asking who is new best man is going to be, he replies Uncle Bill, but Compo's full name in the series is William Simmonite, so not unusual to be called Bill

Didn't the name "Compo" come about because of him always living off compensation paid out by what was National Assistance, now the DHSS? I know it was something along those lines.

Didn't the name "Compo" come about because of him always living off compensation paid out by what was National Assistance, now the DHSS? I know it was something along those lines.
This is straight from the Roy Clarke interview on the Summer Winos page!

Lots of people seem unware that the name Compo doesn’t evoke compost, but compensation. It’s how he made his money to live on.

No, a lot of people don’t spot that, but it was a common saying in my area. ‘Oh, he’s on the Compo.’

In terms of money, tea, buns etc Compo is perhaps best summer up by the Cockney Rhyming phrase " Coat and Badge" , he was always on the cadge .Equally he could be described as "being on the ear hole" aka Steptoe and Son used when the Vicar called after a contribution. I looked into this clearly it's not rhyming slang . From what I can tell at one time in prisons silence was the watch word and Prisoners were expected to be silent and so they developed a sort of sign language between them and if one prisoner wanted to borrow something he would signal that by touching his ear hence on the ear hole , other explanations say it is simply someone who wants to borrow something would talk into the potential lenders ear.

Last edited:
This is straight from the Roy Clarke interview on the Summer Winos page!

Lots of people seem unware that the name Compo doesn’t evoke compost, but compensation. It’s how he made his money to live on.

No, a lot of people don’t spot that, but it was a common saying in my area. ‘Oh, he’s on the Compo.’

Thanks Barry. I thought it was something along those lines.

I kinda figured it was more a family / 'respect for one's elders' thing when Gordon called him Uncle Bill instead of as an equal / friend expression as Compo. Gordon's mom calling him Bill because of the formal occasion of the wedding about to happen.

Did not seem too out of place for me when I first saw the episode because I felt Compo's family might not call him by the same nickname as his friends would.

Last edited:
I kinda figured it was more a family / 'respect for one's elders' thing when Gordon called him Uncle Bill instead of as an equal / friend expression as Compo. Gordon's mom calling him Bill because of the formal occasion of the wedding about to happen.

Did not seem too out of place for me when I first saw the episode because I felt Compo's family might not call him by the same nickname as his friends would.

Well, I took it to mean that either Gordon's Mum or Dad would have been Compo's brother or sister, meaning Gordon would be his nephew, thus calling him Uncle Bill.

Back