Insult.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondered what everyones favorite insult was, mine is Seymour to Compo " Little twotty pot"

I think you could do a whole programme on Pearls insults to Howard. Who can come up with the best? I will have to have a think there are so many.

" Do you know what I had to give up for you? Clint Eastwood movies! The contrast was too much"

Compo to Norah.........Look the bell still works!

Norah to Compo..............About the only thing that does around here!!:20:

Any reference that Foggy would make to Compo about his mother. He made quite a few comments of his mom. I believe Blamire made a few as well.

Compo never saw his dad, Foggy,"your mother didn't get a good look at him either", not word for word.

Also reference to another Compo relative that was "friendly" with the men. Compo: "she liked the Yanks", Foggy: "she liked all that she met", again not word for word , but he would imply her "relationships" with servicemen during the war.

Brutal, talking about your mamma.

Any reference that Foggy would make to Compo about his mother. He made quite a few comments of his mom. I believe Blamire made a few as well.

Compo never saw his dad, Foggy,"your mother didn't get a good look at him either", not word for word.

Also reference to another Compo relative that was "friendly" with the men. Compo: "she liked the Yanks", Foggy: "she liked all that she met", again not word for word , but he would imply her "relationships" with servicemen during the war.

Brutal, talking about your mamma.

To be honest Brenda I think we Brits View insults from a close friend funnier than anyone else. I was brought up getting insulted and being insulting to my best friends and see it like a form of affection.

I think its our dry sense of humor that does it, I insult my family and friends all the time but I know how far I can go with it and they know how far they can go. If you look on my Facebook page people I know and love insult me all the time but I find it funny and so do they when I do it.

The insults are always based on fact, like my driving for instance people take the micky out of my driving all time because I am a bit of a speed demon ( I think I got caught last week so I'm waiting for the ticket to arrive.) and I get lost in the back garden so I got that all the time too but I see it as funny.

I insult Dick and John all the time but I love them to bits ( Don't tell them that or I'll never hear the end of it) so its all taken in fun.

Compos mother sounds like she was a bit of one and everyone knew that but they probably loved her too so felt comfortable saying those things, if a total stranger said it Compo would have set his ferrets on them. :D

Yes I agree kindly/funny insults can also be a form of endearment for good friends and loved ones.

Compos mother sounds like she was a bit of one and everyone knew that but they probably loved her too so felt comfortable saying those things, if a total stranger said it Compo would have set his ferrets on them. :D

Agree, Here in the states friends can do the same, but in some instances it can be taken as quite a put down or a slam talking about moms and sex. Depends on the context. I cannot repeat how it would go down, but sometime taken too far.

Just read an article on line 10 things you don't say to Brits, 10 things Brits don't say to Americans , sex talk and potty humor more accepted in UK. Working in an auto factory you hear it all, no matter what your nationality.

Last edited:
Just read an article on line 10 things you don't say to Brits, 10 things Brits don't say to Americans , sex talk and potty humor more accepted in UK. Working in an auto factory you hear it all, no matter what your nationality.

I have to say we Brits do tend to watch what we say around you Americans, we wouldn't want to offend. :D

I can remember Nora once remarking about someone having a face like a crepe hangers map. I dont know what it means but it sounded like a good insult to me.

I can remember Nora once remarking about someone having a face like a crepe hangers map. I dont know what it means but it sounded like a good insult to me.

A crepe hanger is described as a person who hung black crepe fabric around as a sign of mourning. The map or mop I'm not sure of , maybe a tool with paste on to stick it up with. It got into use later as a gloomy person or pessimist. Some one always expecting the worst. :'( :30:

A crepe hanger is described as a person who hung black crepe fabric around as a sign of mourning. The map or mop I'm not sure of , maybe a tool with paste on to stick it up with. It got into use later as a gloomy person or pessimist. Some one always expecting the worst. :'( :30:

'Map' appears in an urban dictionary as a synonym for 'face'. I doubt if the undertakers' assistants who hung black crepe cloth on the windows and mirrors in a deceased's house would have used paste. More likely tacks, so no need for an applicator such as a mop. They certainly would have cultivated facial expressions that looked as though they were in mourning, though.

Marianna

'Map' appears in an urban dictionary as a synonym for 'face'. I doubt if the undertakers' assistants who hung black crepe cloth on the windows and mirrors in a deceased's house would have used paste. More likely tacks, so no need for an applicator such as a mop. They certainly would have cultivated facial expressions that looked as though they were in mourning, though.

Marianna

Thanks Marianna.:respect:

I think she was talking to Wally when she called him that, I'm pretty sure it was in The Great Boarding House Capper when they were at Sea World and Marineland.

Ivy was always quick to slam Sid being so lazy that he would take root. He didn't seem to mind, suppose he knew it and he loved getting under her skin. Sid took me as a guy that liked a woman that was rough and tough!

I stayed home from work last Tuesday due to my son being ill and I caught Spring Fever. Today, I was home due to a holiday and the other PBS station carried Spring Fever!

Either Cyril calls Compo "Tatty Little Herbert" or vise versa. That has quite a ring to it.

I stayed home from work last Tuesday due to my son being ill and I caught Spring Fever. Today, I was home due to a holiday and the other PBS station carried Spring Fever!

Either Cyril calls Compo "Tatty Little Herbert" or vise versa. That has quite a ring to it.

Definitely Cyril was telling Compo!

Back