Important Saturday 1st August

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Between 9am and 11am GMT, Tony will be changing our servers over, same provider but a better option to try and keep costs down, please avoid posting during theses times as the post will get lost and not appear once the switch is made, it should not take 2 hours but we are playing safe, we will inform you when it's completed
Thanks
Terry

Thank you all for all the hard work you're doing behind the scenes to keep our wonderful community running. I know you've got to do lots of computer wizardry sometimes. Sadly my knowledge of computers is behind that of Norman Clegg or I'd offer to help!

I made exactly the same mistake a few minutes before Terry. We have changed web hosts and two things have to be taken into account relating to the speed of the changeover, the propogation where the parent server tells all the other servers of the IP change and the webhost/website cache all of which occur at different intervals.
When I have a few hours I'll explain in detail :D

We been changing Domain Name Servers then?

Captain, we have moved to a new server, which keep the cost down a little, so yes the DNS had to be changed, we have our own server, there were cheaper options but I have used them in the past and because you share the server space with many others, the site ran very slow. sometimes taking minutes to load a page, or to accept a posting from the forum, also tech support was terrible from these companies, we are very lucky to have Tony on board, I have given him a pay rise to 18 flobits a year, but if there is an issue outside of our control he gets very responsive service from the server company

We care lucky to have Tony, John, Pearl and yourself to look after the members and the site . So we have a dedicated server now rather than a shared resource so was Tony migrating the site\ app to the new server and reconfiguring the network addressing to hit the new server as opposed to the old one ?

Thank you Tony for your dedication , upgrades and migrations are a huge worry but thankfully although prolonged this appears to have gone relatively smoothly, you have certainly earned your corn this weekend . I would opt for another "crop" as a reward, hops in liquid form would seem a good choice. :)

Last edited:
Back