If you don't Use Your Landline

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
If you are one of us folk that don't use your landline for calls, then a relatively newly available service is available on most exchanges in the UK, if you only need your landline to get Broadband at home and your other calls are made via your mobile or VOIP, you can ask your provider to switch you to a SOGEA service, which removes the telephone number from your landline service (All those spam callers can no longer call you), this can save you between £5 and £8 per month rental.

It's possible in a few years when we all get Fibre to the Home, land lines will no longer exist as there will be no need on a fibre service, you will either use your mobile or a VOIP service, the only thing to consider it you don't have a decent mobile service at home if you get a power cut, you will have no phone, so it's worth considering a Battery backup to keep your router powered, cost around £100 upwards.

Tony and I have used VOIP for some years, I spend around £15 per annum on all my calls, and I make a lot including a few international, which equates to about 2 months using providers anytime calls

Thanks Terry, this is really helpful as I only use my land line for broadband. I know when my phone rings its either a wrong number or a scam call as no one has the number!

Do you know with the SOGEA thingy if it allows you to make 999 calls as I only have my phone attached in case I ever needed emergency assistance and my mobile didn't work for whatever reason?

Thanks Terry, this is really helpful as I only use my land line for broadband. I know when my phone rings its either a wrong number or a scam call as no one has the number!

Do you know with the SOGEA thingy if it allows you to make 999 calls as I only have my phone attached in case I ever needed emergency assistance and my mobile didn't work for whatever reason?

I doubt 999 will work, as BT maintain by 2025 there will be no landline service and all equipment using that type of service needs to move to VOIP, you can buy a Fritzbox 7360 for around £40 on ebay, which will deal with all you requirements, if you add a free sipgate number,when you register the number with your address it will allow 999 calls, plus you then have a local incoming VOIP number, this box will allow you to connect 1 standard phone or up to 6 dect telephones.

With you mobile even if you are not getting a signal from your provider it will attempt to use any other signal available to connect you to emergency numbers

Thank you Terry, forgot about the emergency use of mobiles! You know really know your stuff, you should get a job with BT!

Well my line goes over to SOGEA in 2 weeks,so the spam callers will have to move onto someone else to bother

I am on the Local Authority assistance service so I get contact in an emergency, This uses the landline only. :confused2:

Back