If two of the "third men" should ever meet.....?

imitation700mb

Dedicated Member
Do correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s a script was written involving Seymour AND Foggy, although it was abandoned as Michael Aldridge died in 1994 before the idea went any further. There have been episodes featuring two of the "third men" (Return of the Warrior & There Goes the Groom) although they never actually spoke to each other. What do you imagine would happen if two of the third men should ever meet in normal circumstances? Do you think it should have happened? Any ideas.....?

I think I put this in the wrong place, so I copied it into "Members Q&A". Unfortunately, I don't know how to delete a thread. Sorry.

Thats a really good question!
I think Blamire & Foggy would have definitely fallen out both ex army and opinionated, although I wonder whether Foggy may have perhaps respected Blamires more senior rank. Not sure about the others, Truly wasn't such an opinionated third man so I'm not so sure there would have been interesting interaction with the others.

All are perceived [in their own minds] as leaders of the troupe, which the way Roy Clarke wrote the parts they were, so Blamire, Foggy, Truly and Seymour would clash whichever permutation you decide to combine . They would each strive to outdo each other to be the true leader , post Truly and the with the sad loss of Compo and the ill health of Cleggy the final trio had an optional leader of Hobbo I suppose but the mechanics of the trio were so different in the last two series I don't classify as a Leader in the style of the others and so would exclude him from comparison .

I think Blamire & Foggy would have definitely fallen out both ex army and opinionated, although I wonder whether Foggy may have perhaps respected Blamires more senior rank. Not sure about the others, Truly wasn't such an opinionated third man so I'm not so sure there would have been interesting interaction with the others.

According to the letter Clegg receives from Blamire in "The Man from Oswestry", he instructs Compo and Clegg to meet Foggy at the bus station, which implies that Blamire and Foggy actually knew each other, or were at least acquaintances, especially during their Army careers.

I also wonder what Compo and Clegg would have made of seeing them together?

Last edited:

Perhaps Foggy would have respected Blamire's rank as he is terribly loyal to his military service. Of course Truly was more on the same level as Compo and Clegg, so he was less of a "leader" than Blamire, Foggy or Seymour and would have been led by the other third men, rather then leading them. I don't think Truly would have enough guts to try competing with the other third men, especially with Foggy's military attitude.

I think the way Roy Clarke wrote the Truly part was what I would call bath bomb by which I mean he would drop in some notion or idea sit back and watch the fall out, whereas the others imposed their will on the Cleggy/Compo but trying to do that with each other would produce fireworks. Truly would probably sew the seeds of an idea and sit back waiting for the others to implode, whereupon he would pick up the pieces and assume command.

Did Blamire have a higher rank than Foggy? I thought they were both Corporals.

The plan was for Seymour and Foggy to both appear in the 1988 Christmas Special Crums. I think this would have worked as a one off.

Blamire and Foggy are reunited in The Man from Oswestry, but off screen, and sadly we don't see it.

Technically Michael Bates could have made a short scene, as he was still working in It 'Ain't Half Hot Mum, but it wasn't to be.

There is at least one photograph of Michael Aldridge and Foggy together, taken whilst making Return of the Warrior, in costume, which is quite unique really.

The plan was for Seymour and Foggy to both appear in the 1988 Christmas Special Crums. I think this would have worked as a one off.

Blamire and Foggy are reunited in The Man from Oswestry, but off screen, and sadly we don't see it.

Technically Michael Bates could have made a short scene, as he was still working in It 'Ain't Half Hot Mum, but it wasn't to be.

There is at least one photograph of Michael Aldridge and Foggy together, taken whilst making Return of the Warrior, in costume, which is quite unique really.
The Crums idea sounds interesting. I think it would have worked well and I'd like to have seen it. I wonder why it never happened? And where might we be able to see that photograph?

Last edited:
Back