If there were missing episodes of Last of the Summer Wine...

wstol

Dedicated Member
… would you like to see them re-recorded with new actors?

As most of you know, that is what is happening with three episodes of Dad's Army.

There is little on the internet, but the current Radio Times has revealed some photographs of the new shows, and the accuracy is breathtaking.

Whether the shows, using the exact original scripts, will work is another thing, but I feel this is a good way to fill the void left by these three lost shows.

I think it was decided around 1978 to retain all shows forever, so, if 1970s LOTSW was remade, who would play Compo, Clegg, Blamire, Foggy, Sid, Ivy, Nora and Wally??

I see no one filling their shoes, I honestly
Wouldn't watch it if they did, they can't recapture the spirit of those actors, the comic timing or the love they had for their characters. On our Facebook group this gets asked a lot and it actually makes some people angry especially when some people suggest other actors or comedians. I think it would be a huge mistake to cast other people in those parts, you'd never be able to please the fans. I saw some of the Dads Army film with new actors and it was awful, some looked a bit like the originals but the acting style wasn't the same and it just didn't feel right. I say leave it, we have more than enough episodes to enjoy.

I see no one filling their shoes, I honestly
Wouldn't watch it if they did, they can't recapture the spirit of those actors, the comic timing or the love they had for their characters. On our Facebook group this gets asked a lot and it actually makes some people angry especially when some people suggest other actors or comedians. I think it would be a huge mistake to cast other people in those parts, you'd never be able to please the fans. I saw some of the Dads Army film with new actors and it was awful, some looked a bit like the originals but the acting style wasn't the same and it just didn't feel right. I say leave it, we have more than enough episodes to enjoy.
So true Pearl, it just wouldn't work.

Thankfully there are no missing episodes of LOTSW.

I am against remakes and so-called reboots. Usually.

But I do like the idea of remaking lost episodes. Where something is presumed missing forever, I like the idea of a new recording to act as a filler, so people can have some idea what the missing programme was like. I like to think of it as a temporary show until the original show crops up - as they sometimes eventually do.

Ok, with all the advancements in technology, it must surely be possible in the near future to create holograms and the like to recreate shows - IF DONE ACCURATELY AND AT GREAT EXPENSE. No doubt there are ways to predict exactly how the original actors would say new lines. Watch this space, this will be possible, I think it already may be in some form.

Would that appeal to anyone, if done painstakingly well?

Thankfully there are no missing episodes of LOTSW.

I am against remakes and so-called reboots. Usually.

But I do like the idea of remaking lost episodes. Where something is presumed missing forever, I like the idea of a new recording to act as a filler, so people can have some idea what the missing programme was like. I like to think of it as a temporary show until the original show crops up - as they sometimes eventually do.

Ok, with all the advancements in technology, it must surely be possible in the near future to create holograms and the like to recreate shows - IF DONE ACCURATELY AND AT GREAT EXPENSE. No doubt there are ways to predict exactly how the original actors would say new lines. Watch this space, this will be possible, I think it already may be in some form.

Would that appeal to anyone, if done painstakingly well?
There were probably a handful 'lost' episodes which were written for Bill Owen before he got ill mid series as I know the script had to be hurriedly changed.

I don't know how much of those were salvaged and recycled for the latter part of that series or even the following series.

There also must be all sorts of bits and pieces over the years that got cut or changed or edited - filmed and not filmed.

Just think of all that dialogue never to see the light of day.

I don't know how much of those were salvaged and recycled for the latter part of that series or even the following series.

There also must be all sorts of bits and pieces over the years that got cut or changed or edited - filmed and not filmed.

Just think of all that dialogue never to see the light of day.

It might work better published as a book of scripts, then one could imagine the original characters' voices.

To be honest I think the book idea would be better, I think readying a book leaves much more to the readers imagination, watching someone interpret their idea of the scene can be limiting to your own imagination but to read a script you can put your own spin on it which is much more satisfying to the readers. It's like reading your favourite book then watching a film about it made by someone with a different view point of the book and it never matches yours which leaves you very disapointed.

If you compare the scripts for the pilot and first series (seven in all) which were published in a paperback there are differences to the actual filmed material. So the idea of a book with new material would work - and also you could allow Foggy to come back and even Blamire (they knew each other in Oswestry) at the same time as the others. Might even be able to explain what happened to Sherbert.

Interesting concept and fun to fantasise about - agree it shouldn’t be remade. I’ve said why in other posts.
However there may be no “lost episodes” but I feel there’s gaps that could be expanded on

Immediately coming to mind is Foggy’s leaving. The episode where he leaves carried out feet first (stand in actor I believe) I feel could be better explained what happens, perhaps (also foggy related) a little bit when he goes to the egg factory?
I’d like to have an episode, perhaps like when the boys visit foggy in wales, where they visit Seymour.
Perhaps also looking at filling in some “lesser” characters backgrounds - thinking miss argh can’t remember her name but library lady and friend of marina.

I thought I'd read somewhere that they'd discovered the ACTUAL missing Dad's Army episodes on old VHS tapes in Africa and that they were intending to work on them and bring them up to broadcast quality. Or am I thinking of some other show ?

Last edited:
I like those ideas, Dave. The guys making a road trip out see Seymour at his new school. Glenda, Miss Davenport and possibly Marina getting together more often and maybe having some adventures of their own.

Back