If the Dads Army movie is a success?

Thetford had many similarities to Sussex as the buildings were flint and clever editing made it seem so with sudio sets conveying the seaside.Think that when this show was made the imagination of writers directors actors etc was superior to now ,when I get the chance I go through the entire series which I have on dvd,s.

Thetford had many similarities to Sussex as the buildings were flint and clever editing made it seem so with sudio sets conveying the seaside.Think that when this show was made the imagination of writers directors actors etc was superior to now ,when I get the chance I go through the entire series which I have on dvd,s.

I may be wrong Chris but the film THE EAGLE HAS LANDED was set in Norfolk but I believe it was also filmed in Sussex. ???

When all is said and done with "remakes" of any film ,it has to be remembered that the film is usually biased towards the American market. Therefore it has to be made attractive to American audiences. Otherwise you could end up with an expensive film only making any money in Britain.:42::me:

That is probably true to some extent. I think in recent years though we have seen several films based on TV series that have been aimed very largely at the British market. For example, The Inbetweeners, Alan Partridge, Bad Education, Harry Hill the Movie etc. Dad`s Army will certainly be much more aimed at the Brits rather than the Americans I`m sure.

The making of LOTSW was the result of perfect timing. The perfect talent was combined with the vision of Roy Clarke with the talents of the producer, director, and crew to make this series. The actors were very talented with many years of pounding the boards with a crew willing able to deal with the challenges of filming in and around the hills.

Will this ever be duplicated to allow a movie to be made? Probably not as the only thing being greenlighted at the moment are movies that aimed directly at Millennials; include lots of action and sex and are guaranteed to sell associated products.

There are obviously plenty of movies around aimed at that demographic but there is no doubt that the studios have seen the value in making films for the `silver generation` too. Song for Marion, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Philomena, Quartet, Nebraska etc.

There are so many adaptations of TV shows around nowadays that my gut feeling is that if LOSW had ended a little earlier, a remake might have been possible. I don`t think enough time has passed yet though.

A picture in todays Daily Mail there is a picture of the new cast alongside the origonals sorry but its still a no go as faar as I am concened will have to watch a dvd today.

What I can see is a spin off with the two cops as the two main characters. Then they would of course spend lots of time not working and with their intent to be off somewhere where they couldn't be found and it always seems to work out that they end up in the thick of things.

I have to say I find the idea of a new LOTSW as it were rather alarming, for folk such as me the magic was a combination of the lovely stories and the wonderful characters, but I think the actors were the secret ingredient that made it so special. I just cannot imagine anyone but Peter Sallis as Clegg, Bill Owen as Compo, Brian Wilde as Foggy, Jane Freeman as Ivy and so on. Sometimes I think it's best to leave well alone, like that unforgeteable holiday:- somehow it's never quite the same second time round. Or am I just being an old softy who doesn't like change:16: !!

I have to say I find the idea of a new LOTSW as it were rather alarming, for folk such as me the magic was a combination of the lovely stories and the wonderful characters, but I think the actors were the secret ingredient that made it so special. I just cannot imagine anyone but Peter Sallis as Clegg, Bill Owen as Compo, Brian Wilde as Foggy, Jane Freeman as Ivy and so on. Sometimes I think it's best to leave well alone, like that unforgeteable holiday:- somehow it's never quite the same second time round. Or am I just being an old softy who doesn't like change:16: !!
Nope I don't like change either

If the Dads Army Movie is a success

I have said in similar threads that I don't believe they fully exploited potential plots for First of the Summer Wine .It would be the way to go for me because you are then not trying to cast actors in roles where they could never hope of matching the originals . I suppose an analogy would be the prequel to Only Fools and Horses , Rock and Chips , which I think worked fairly well . Whilst I think there were only 3 Rock and Chips against 12 episodes of First of the Summer Wine a feature length episode could broaden the characters and add those we know were known to the main cast from their earliest days , for example Gavin Hinchcliffe because Billy mentions about his time at school in the episode he featured in .

If the Dads Army movie is a success

I have seen in the press that the film is already receiving criticism yet it has not even been seen in the UK and will not be until February next year. On all things Dads Army the drama documentary was aired last night. I really enjoyed it, although it was a little pacey in terms of the overall content. I imagine to come in at an agreed one hour scheduling . I won't give anything away in case people are viewing it up on catch up but one thing I must comment on was the surprise when the final credits rolled . Whilst I recognised all of the actors playing the roles it was only when the credits rolled that I realised who was playing Mainwaring and I know him well from other shows.

Screen Yorkshire helped to fund this movie

You see, if the makers of this film really wanted it to be in keeping with the original series, and be a homage to it, then they would have gone to Thetford, Sussex (I think) to film it - which is where the exteriors for the series were filmed.

I mean, if a re-make film of LOTSW were ever made, we'd all be incredibly angry if someone decided it wouldn't be filmed around Holmfirth, there's a village in Dorset that would do. We'd be speechless.

Still, I suppose the locations in Dad's Army weren't so 'well-defined' as those in LOTSW.

It's all down to money. The new Dads Army movie was part funded by Screen Yorkshire (which in turn is funded by Europe). Its purpose is to fund films that will be made in Yorkshire using studio & technical staff here in God's own county ! 8)8)

Item in Daily Mail,a trailer for the new movie was shown and it stated " 1944 England has its back to the wall " evidently many people booed when this was said so look out for errors and a new thread listing them!

Without the unique talents of the wonderful actors who have sadly departed,it would be impossible to recreate the magic of those 3 amazing decades.
The crime of "pulling the plug far too early,despite a massive public outrage" is down to 1 "organisation"yes the b.b.c !!!!,the same organisation that each and everyone one of us in this country fund.....which means that it's ours !!!
Summerwine,despite a consistant level of excellence,for over 3 decades,was axed,because it was deemed "too dated ?????".
Not to the millions of loyal fans all over the world it wasn't !!!!!
Despite the terrible,sad death of bill owen,we still had a "hardcore " of regular,wonderful characters,who the viewer "knew",and could empathize with their trails and tribulations.
New actors,playing established roles would be a recipe for disaster.
It would tarnish all the amazing work that has made our wonderful show so special to each and everyone of us !!!!
Keith.
X!

Does everyone remember Star Trek? The suits in New York City did not appreciate the techie fan base that fell in love with the show. They were aiming towards a different fan base and when they didn't get it, axed the show after a mere three seasons (years). But that didn't stop them and Star Trek exploded with movies and spin offs. So with LOTSW, there are reruns, tourism in Holmfirth, DVD's, websites, and so on and so forth. Did the suits in BBC image that all of this would still be happening?

And so how did it end? Did Roy Clarke suspect that the end was near? The wedding was very apt as I have always thought that it was rather fitting that the show that began with a funeral would end with a wedding.

Does everyone remember Star Trek? The suits in New York City did not appreciate the techie fan base that fell in love with the show. They were aiming towards a different fan base and when they didn't get it, axed the show after a mere three seasons (years). But that didn't stop them and Star Trek exploded with movies and spin offs. So with LOTSW, there are reruns, tourism in Holmfirth, DVD's, websites, and so on and so forth. Did the suits in BBC image that all of this would still be happening?

And so how did it end? Did Roy Clarke suspect that the end was near? The wedding was very apt as I have always thought that it was rather fitting that the show that began with a funeral would end with a wedding.

Roy Clarke has said that while he was writing the final season he suspected that it would be the last. Because a special hadn't been commissioned to send the show out with a flourish, he did the best he could to make that season special by writing the episodes as a serial.

Given what was going on behind the scenes, I suspect there was really no way the show could have ended on a final clear "goodbye" kind of episode. Consider:

- the BBC tried to axe the show before Series 30 even aired and would have had there not been a public backlash when the news leaked out. So they agreed to another series, but presumably just to calm the audience down with the intent of letting the show die after that. So they wouldn't have agreed to any kind of "final" episode out of fear that people would have been up in arms about that.
- although the actors and Clarke seem to have seen the final series as likely the end, Bell in his book never says anything about it. Given that he talks about some efforts to bring the show back on another network after it was officially announced that Series 31 would be the last, I suspect that Bell may very well have known earlier that it was an option. So I don't think he would have done anything more overtly obvious, if only to leave open the option of the show coming back.

Given what was going on behind the scenes, I suspect there was really no way the show could have ended on a final clear "goodbye" kind of episode. Consider:

- the BBC tried to axe the show before Series 30 even aired and would have had there not been a public backlash when the news leaked out. So they agreed to another series, but presumably just to calm the audience down with the intent of letting the show die after that. So they wouldn't have agreed to any kind of "final" episode out of fear that people would have been up in arms about that.
- although the actors and Clarke seem to have seen the final series as likely the end, Bell in his book never says anything about it. Given that he talks about some efforts to bring the show back on another network after it was officially announced that Series 31 would be the last, I suspect that Bell may very well have known earlier that it was an option. So I don't think he would have done anything more overtly obvious, if only to leave open the option of the show coming back.

Was their disdain with the programme reflected in the fact the final series was only 6 episodes , whereas from Series 17 onwards episodes were in double figures and even the exception series 27 I think had 9 ?

Unfortunately the dedicated bands of people who follow various series are ignored by the suits who run tv consistently many shows are pulled because "they" don't care about the viewers.Our show was becoming tired with rehashed stories but given encouragement Roy could have revived it ,I did not like Hobo he was a poor character and I am sorry but badly acted but the others carried on with good support .Another problem was of course ageing by the actors is a problem and good quality actors would have been required and there are not many of them about now ,so will a new show based on LOTSW ever happen I don't think so I watched the new Open All Hours today and it did not feel right .The cast whilst good did not seem to carry the story over to the viewer and it seemed to be all in an echo. But we have our reruns to watch and enjoy so all is not lost enjoy what we have.

It seems that the film has received pretty positive reviews so far. While I am sure it is not exactly earth shattering, I look forward to watching it at some point.

If the Dads Army movie is a success

I think people who see it ,having been so familiar with the originals , are undoubtedly going to compare and surely comment that it is not as good at the old . Difficult as it may be, it would be really nice to have an independent review of the film as a stand alone piece of work by people who have no idea what Dad's Army is and have, as I say ,never seen any of the old series/film. As a British film , filmed in Britain , with a British cast I hope its a real success but I suspect it will be expediently released to DVD to ensure they maximise the revenue because I cannot see it making money in vast volumes . Walker , of course, will be knocking out counterfeit DVD's for a couple of quid.

Last edited:
Back