I want to know the correct spelling & meaning of a word used in show

Ruth

Please excuse me, as I am older, a bit hard of hearing, and greatest sin of all: Not British. :)))
When Compos was around, he would often call someone he thought little of a slang name, and I would like the correct spelling and meaning of it, if you can guess at what I am looking for. I think it sounded like "Picket". Also, is it still in use today? It is very funny to me - my favorite character was Compos.
Thank you,

dick

Compo was not the only one to use the word. He was "sulking one day in the pub and Seymour and Clegg were trying to talk him round . They went across to him and Seymour's first words to Compo were "Hello little pillock " ;) ;)

dick

The meaning of pillock is given as " a person who has done a stupid act or is not very bright" You might use the word klutz in your part of the world. :smile:

barmpot

Please excuse me, as I am older, a bit hard of hearing, and greatest sin of all: Not British. :)))
Would not describe it as a sin - I am older and hear less well but presume I am British (I do not have a passport so not sure how I can convince anyone I am who I say I am - no photo ID as driving licence is still all paper!)
:me::me::me:

barmpot

The meaning of pillock is given as " a person who has done a stupid act or is not very bright" You might use the word klutz in your part of the world. :smile:

I seem to recall it was sometimes "dozy pillock".

A mild vulgarism that is still in use although the cruder statements seem to be common especially on Facebook.

Ruth

Thank you, thank you!

Pillock - That is what I meant! Thank you. I wonder if I can find it in any dictionary? I will look. This is a wonderful forum. I don't post much. But I do enjoy what others have to say. My PBS station had a few months without airing Summer Wine, but now it is on again, thank goodness.

Pearl

Super Moderator
Staff member
When Compos was around, he would often call someone he thought little of a slang name, and I would like the correct spelling and meaning of it, if you can guess at what I am looking for. I think it sounded like "Picket". Also, is it still in use today? It is very funny to me - my favorite character was Compos.
Thank you,
There is no sin in not being British and most of people on here are old friends of Moses so you fit right in :17: :D We're always happy to help so chip in more often, its good to have more women round here. Isn't it boys? :wink: :D

barmpot

I know I have posted this before but could not resist, given some posts in this thread. And, yes, I know it is not strictly about the British but one of the components of this great entity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vh-wEXvdW8
Superb - slightly different lyrics to the LP I have. I think their stuff is very clever and shows a good grasp of history (without which some of the throw away comments make less sense ...).

wstol

Pillock is originally a 16th century word for penis.

That originated from the Norwegian word 'pilliock'.

However, pillock has now mutated into simply meaning idiot, and can't be regarded as being particularly offensive.