I need your help Winos

Bora Natty

Dedicated Member
Ironically, this is a booze question. Have any of you tried Balvenie Single Malt Scotch and what was your opinion of it? I'm going to treat myself for the New Year and get a bottle of something. If you didn't care for it, what is your choice for a single malt? I know we have many over here that originate there, so hopfully, I can find it. Ta mates!

That sounds like an amazing treat! Been awhile since I have had a nice single malt. Can't say I have tried Balvenie yet but I am really tempted by your idea to find a bottle. Hope you can find a bottle and please share what you think of it.

Someone has bought me a Christmas pack of 3 blended whiskies and a glass, unfortunately I hate whisky. It'll probably end up at the charity shop early new year....

Bora,you'll be grand with Balvenie mate, it's a lovely drink,one of my favourites,quite smooth,less peaty and harsh than something like a Laphroaig.
A very good choice. I'm partial to a drop of single malt and that's one I'd certainly choose.

Wow I'm in the midst of such connoisseurs ! As a matter of interest how do you drink this single malt, with ice, coke or just on it's own?

Wow I'm in the midst of such connoisseurs ! As a matter of interest how do you drink this single malt, with ice, coke or just on it's own?
Never,ever with Coke or a mixer BC, that sort of behaviour could get you disappeared without a trace in certain parts of the world!
Neat is best for me, but with ice is certainly acceptable if you want to look sophisticated, especially in a nice cut glass tumbler.

Never,ever with Coke or a mixer BC, that sort of behaviour could get you disappeared without a trace in certain parts of the world!
Neat is best for me, but with ice is certainly acceptable if you want to look sophisticated, especially in a nice cut glass tumbler.
I remember Fred Elliott always used to order a 'scotch and thret' in Corrie but I've absolutely no idea what that means...

Cheers Inky, good to hear!
If you're just feeling your way into the world of a single malt, something like a Glenlivet would be ideal mate, it's really smooth, no burn for te newbie and warms you up nicely.My Dad likes that and I get him a bottle every Xmas.
Singleton is always a decent drop or the fledgling drinker.
Some are a real 'acquired' taste and you can feel them all the way down to your toenails,especially as a novice.

Someone has bought me a Christmas pack of 3 blended whiskies and a glass, unfortunately I hate whisky. It'll probably end up at the charity shop early new year....
That's the sort of muck you drink with Pepsi Max BC....probably a decent drink then.
Let me guess, was one of them Grants or something similar?

That's the sort of muck you drink with Pepsi Max BC....probably a decent drink then.
Let me guess, was one of them Grants or something similar?
Bells and others I can't recall. I am a Philistine Inky I have to admit, a pal took me to the Glenmorangie distillery a few years back and I ended up having a pint of beer instead of the included single malt as I couldn't get on with the taste. I have been to hotels where they charge £500 for a shot of some of these vintage single malts so I know they must be very sought after.

Ironically, this is a booze question. Have any of you tried Balvenie Single Malt Scotch and what was your opinion of it? I'm going to treat myself for the New Year and get a bottle of something. If you didn't care for it, what is your choice for a single malt? I know we have many over here that originate there, so hopfully, I can find it. Ta mates!
I'm a Jack Daniels man. I actually stopped drinking in 1989 totally. A few months ago at the age of nearly 60 I thought I'm going to buy a bottle of Jack. Awesome. Just the occasional small glass does me. It's nice having a tipple after over 3 decades abstinence.

I'm a Jack Daniels man. I actually stopped drinking in 1989 totally. A few months ago at the age of nearly 60 I thought I'm going to buy a bottle of Jack. Awesome. Just the occasional small glass does me. It's nice having a tipple after over 3 decades abstinence.
Wow 30 years abstinence! bet you got tipsy on your first glass of JD after all those years Mikey!

I think you just committed sacrilege, Barry. A good whiskey should always be drank straight or on the rocks in my opinion..

Which always makes me wonder why in many many bars in Scotland there are little brass taps which dispense water for the whisky when turned on however , as you say ask a true Scot if you add water to a glass of your finest Whiskey and you will be met with a robust reply and a lecture.

I think you just committed sacrilege, Barry. A good whiskey should always be drank straight or on the rocks in my opinion..
Sorry :( I suppose that makes sense not adulterating fine whisky with any mixers. I must be very unsophisticated, if someone got me finest brandy I'd probably end up having it with Tango or something:p

Back