I Knew I had one

Interesting use of Stonefirth rather than Holmfirth.

In the BBC book (A Country Companion), the town was called Stonefirth.

I don't think Holmfirth or even Stonefirth was ever actually mentioned in the TV series, though Holmfirth as been seen on Blamire's newspaper in the library.

Interesting use of Stonefirth rather than Holmfirth.

In the BBC book (A Country Companion), the town was called Stonefirth.

I don't think Holmfirth or even Stonefirth was ever actually mentioned in the TV series, though Holmfirth as been seen on Blamire's newspaper in the library.

The name appeared in a number of places, newspapers, posters in the cafe and bus destinations to name a few, but it was never mentioned in the actual dialogue.

In the 3rd episode at the end Clegg says here in Yorkshire it would be further south wouldn't it.

Last edited:
Very good £30 note though, some classic shots of the various trios. Think I remember that note when it first came out.

But they do mention Huddersfield, usually in a tone of disdain.
There were degrees of disdain. In addition to Huddersfield, Lancashire rates a rather pointed disdain and Wales always rated a really pointed disdain.

There were degrees of disdain. In addition to Huddersfield, Lancashire rates a rather pointed disdain and Wales always rated a really pointed disdain.

I wonder if those were just far comedic effect or if Roy Clarke is an insular Yorkshire man.

Back