I hate Hobbo

goodiesguy

Dedicated Member
I was recently watching a few Hobbo episodes and I can't stand him! He made the show unwatchable :(

Your thoughts?

thats a bit strong goodiesguy, i understand people might not like him but hate is a strong word, personally i like his character and if he had been given a couple more series he would have grown as a character, i understand that series 30 isnt the strongest series ever and might make the character seem worse but hating him is strong view, he is ok and better in 31 than 30, but overall i like the character

thats a bit strong goodiesguy, i understand people might not like him but hate is a strong word, personally i like his character and if he had been given a couple more series he would have grown as a character, i understand that series 30 isnt the strongest series ever and might make the character seem worse but hating him is strong view, he is ok and better in 31 than 30, but overall i like the character

I was just starting to warm to Hobbo when the BBC pulled the plug on the show.

Hate is a strong word but I'm no fan either. I think they were trying to recreate the Foggy years but it didn't quite work.

yes hate is a bit strong...not my favourite character either but then i think things were beginning to run out of steam somewhat and he didnt really have the time to settle into developing a strong likeable character.

With Peter and Frank very limited in their performance, Series 29 would have been the time to end it.

But it carried on, and Alan JW Bell was very excited about getting Russ Abbot. I assumed Abbot would have the Clegg-type role, as it was Sallis who seemed to be the less active actor.

As it turned out, both Sallis and Thornton would be replaced, Abbot taking the 'Foggy/Blamire/Seymour/Truly) role.

Hobbo had a terrible introduction to the series in the 2008 half hour Christmas Special. There was no build up to his appearance.

As it turned out, I thought Hobbo turned out to be a decent enough character - and I think the show could have carried on as it was (as long as Sallis appeared anyway).

I thought he was introduced badly too, just plonked him in at the deep end and hoped he'd float, I think thats why some people didn't like him.

I thought he was introduced badly too, just plonked him in at the deep end and hoped he'd float, I think thats why some people didn't like him.

i can agree with the plonked him in is why he might not have been liked by some, what might have helped is a sold sign the previous year on what was to become hobbo's house and a line from clegg in the last episode where he was outside like "im liking the comfort of my house more and more" or summat along those lines might have helped hobbo ease in a bit better, but i always like hobbo and i can tell you from watching him at the preview Russ Abbot was immensly proud of being in the show and having met him the following year he is a really pleasant person who did care about his work in summer wine

I used to feel that way, Goodies Guys. But as I watch the series from beginning to end, I approached the last two Hobbo rotations with an open mind. As a result, Hobbo grew on me.

My Public Telelvision Series is currently approaching Series 31 and I will be writing reflections shortly following my last review of the entire show. However, I will summarize a few problems with the Hobbo era now and write more in depth later this week.

Here it goes....

How about this, I will start by agreeing with Susan! I actually believe Hobbo is a very good character and had potential for further growth, but like Susan, at times, Clarke and Bell seemed to lean on him too heavily.

Other two problems with the Hobbo era are...

1. Not enough quality moments with Alvin and Enwistle (which took me a while to recognize them as a good team)
2. To me, the introduction of the new "Morton and Toby" didn't work. Toby as the "golf captain" with a few cameos was good and (I believe) Herman Teesdaleas the debt collector making a few random appearences was good. However, the new enlarged roles didn't work.

So, to Darren (DJWCFC), I am on your side now. I am ready to stick up for Hobbo any time.

I wasnt that keen on Hobbo when i first saw him and felt he was a bit over the top.However,as the series moved on and Russ Abbot started to settle into the part,i actually started to enjoy Hobbo and had the show carried on,i believe he would have been a great character.
I have to say that i also never liked Seymour at first either but as i started to watch more and more of him, i came to see him as a wonderful character.I would even go as far as to say that i think a few of his episodes are among the very best in the whole show.

Hector.

I enjoy the Hobbo character, and do think more time to develop would have made that trio strong. I do have a soft spot for Alvin. He is just so believable!

Good grief Codfangler that's twice in a row you have agreed with me :). I hope its not habit forming or I Will have none to spar with :D

I to was getting to like Hobbo the character was just estabishing itself and could have kept the series going for a while longer.Like all good shows they evolved with new actors and storylines and several character actors could have been brought in to upgrade the show but alas it was not to be.

I was recently watching a few Hobbo episodes and I can't stand him! He made the show unwatchable :(

Your thoughts?

Tell you what, try to watch both Series 30 and 31 in it's entirity, then see how you feel. I think you may change your mind a little.

My feelings, Hobbo had no time to be his own character. Sure, all the "third men" had the leadership, bossy and know-it-all quality, but it was different for each one. Hobbo felt less defined and so less memorable. He felt almost like a mash up of Foggy and Seymour, if I remember rightly.

Not, not my favorite. There just seemed to be too much against him to really grow.

Back