I dont exist??

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
I have waited in all day for a parcel which was a week late arriving. According to the driver my post code is wrong, it is quoted at the other side of town(I've been using it for 2 years) It also does not exist on TOM TOM. and the post office could not help either!:confused: Am I in a parallel universe:13:

The is the trouble with post codes -every one thinks they are 100% accurate when there are gaps and mistakes.

Some maps insist that the road at my rear is the correct one even though it has a totally different name and I have had people state they could not find me because of this and my back gate (high and solid) says "Please use other door" which rather put them off as they did not think of walking to the other side of the block to find the front door!

But Dick did you get your parcel - was it some cake or goodies?

The is the trouble with post codes -every one thinks they are 100% accurate when there are gaps and mistakes.

But Dick did you get your parcel - was it some cake or goodies?
NO Rod it was new trousers! Some fool is shrinking mine! The thing that upset me most was the fact that his sat nag and the post office both insisted the post code I gave was the wrong one :eek::confused:

I have a friend who lives in an out of the way location, above Halifax, and there are only two houses. Never had numbers but eventually various bodies insisted that they be numbered so electricity board numbered his 1 and the neighbour as 2. only problem the post office numbered my friend 2 and his neighbour as 1. Still got everything OK as they were known by name of occupant and the address until my friend needed to prove his ID to a bank. Of course the data did not match - took weeks to sort out although the post office have made a mistake or two.

Once they tried to deliver using a large van which got stuck on the farm lane on way to my friend's house as the road is only suitable for four wheel drive - and apparently had to ahve the vehicle towed out! Methinks Post Office are not the sharpest organisation around at times!

In a number of streets obviously all houses have the same post code , mine included. I have issues with deliveries because I have not put numbers on my door , further exacerbated because I live on a corner and my next door neighbour, whose house is on a different street , has the same number as myself , all of which confuses the hell out of the postman and couriers resulting in quite a lot of my mail and parcels being delivered to my neighbours and surprisingly I get some of my neighbour's mail and parcels delivered to me.

I know now that my neighbours have decided to act because they must be getting fed up . Just before Christmas there was a knock at the door and my neighbour handed me a very neatly wrapped Christmas box . I opened it after returning from Spain following New Year to find some ornate numbers for the door and a note from my neighbour saying he will call and put them up for me, all of which made me laugh uncontrollably :):):)

The street where my flats complex is, has its own post code. However there are 25 properties in our complex and the post office gave us our own post code. To confuse matters my complex is named after the street its on and 100 yards further down is another flats complex with a similar name . In consequence we get letters meant for the street and vice versa. Also the similar named complex gets our mail and we theirs. It is going to be sorted ...........soon!:confused:

It would seem the most cost effective way would be to rename the other flat complex to something that makes it obviously different to yours , all of which should assist the Posties and Couriers

It would also help if some of the delivery staff could actually read.

Where I live is a large park with 350 homes, in about 15 streets all with names, some postcode finders will only find the park name, not the road name, this has caused major problems, the worst one recently was Vodafone, a neighbour wanted their line/broadband package, they gave them the postcode which did not list the street name just #12 and the park name,well after several hours of talking to many different people at Vodafone and proving to them that if they put the postcode into google maps or the Royal mail address finder that the street existed, they would not accept this, they blamed Royal mail and BT, I even got one chap to do the search on BT's website as a customer and it showed the correct address... he accepted this and passed it back to the first department we had spoken to, they said they could not put the full address manually as BT would not accept it, even though this person had a BT line and broadband already, the could not order on the existing telephone number because it would not tie up with the postcode.........we pointed out their total incompetence, the fact this became obvious towards the end we said maybe it's a sign not to pursue this because if they cannot deal with this basic problem what will happen if there is a fault.
Vodafone's loss as there is potential for many new customers here and the word soon spreads for good service, further investigation showed it depends which database companies use, the less expensive databases can through up all sorts of postcode search problems, so you do get what you pay for in this case

You wake up all positive then by the end of the day you inevitably revert to a Victor Meldrew type because of what you can only deem as total incompetence .Sadly it is not a rare occurrence , its Groundhog day everyday and your playing the Bill Murray role . You seem to write so many complaints through the medium of Email that in combined elapsed time collectively you could be on your third or fourth novel in a matter of weeks . Yesterday's for me was a 30 minute eye test at Vision Express that took two and a quarter hours all down to suspect equipment and procedural failures .

I won't bore you with the detail but the most galling issue was watching a queue of staff forming outside the Manager's Office each knocking on the door awaiting the "Enter " call so they could discuss their issue. What a refreshing change if said Manager were to get their backside off their chair and go on the shop floor to see where things were breaking down. :mad:

Last edited:
Our govt. spent a fortune recently on setting up a postal code system that absolutely nobody uses, not even the govt. Just as well really as my address comes up as something totally different than my actual address. Rest assured Dick, you do exist. We would all know if you didn't!

We share a house number with a residence one street over. Both street names start with the same word; but the second word is different. They occasionally get our mail, some envelopes arrive with evidence of mis-delivery with a slight rip. But what really took the cake was that we were having something delivered, maybe a pizza. We got a phone call from the delivery man who stated "I'm standing on your stoop and knocking. Why don't you answer?" We opened the door to find an empty stoop and apprised him of the fact that he was at the wrong address.

Adanor ,

Sometimes that has benefits I know some companies in the UK give you the Pizza for free if they do not deliver in a certain time frame .

You wake up all positive then by the end of the day you inevitably revert to a Victor Meldrew type because of what you can only deem as total incompetence .Sadly it is not a rare occurrence , its Groundhog day everyday and your playing the Bill Murray role . You seem to write so many complaints through the medium of Email that in combined elapsed time collectively you could be on your third or fourth novel in a matter of weeks . Yesterday's for me was a 30 minute eye test at Vision Express that took two and a quarter hours all down to suspect equipment and procedural failures .

I won't bore you with the detail but the most galling issue was watching a queue of staff forming outside the Manager's Office each knocking on the door awaiting the "Enter " call so they could discuss their issue. What a refreshing change if said Manager were to get their backside off their chair and go on the shop floor to see where things were breaking down. :mad:
Eye test at Vision Express? Hopefully there is a visit to an actual eye doc in the offing.

New reading glasses needed . I have my prescription and will be looking to other optical retail outlets to purchase the glasses I will not be returning to Vision Express supposedly one of the leading stores for the supply of glasses and contact lenses.

New reading glasses needed . I have my prescription and will be looking to other optical retail outlets to purchase the glasses I will not be returning to Vision Express supposedly one of the leading stores for the supply of glasses and contact lenses.

I think these big retailers for glasses are not that good, last year I went to a standard sole high street optician, much better service and eye test, new glasses were fine from the start, and did not cost anymore than the chain shops

Back