Howards most recent role

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I saw this the other day, not a big fan of the series but I did notice our very own Robert Fyfe in a cameo appearance. Bearing in mind he's well into his 90's I thought he looked pretty lucid and agile in his performance! I'm sure he'd still be in LOTSW if it were going today....

This was filmed a couple of years ago and makes a few appearances in the episode but you can see him at 14:20m

Hmm, I wonder what the remaining Summer Wine cast are doing now, particularly the younger ones? (Glenda and Barry to name two) Are they still acting or in the public eye?

It would be good to make a show interviewing the remaining cast, writer, and producers/directors.

Hmm, I wonder what the remaining Summer Wine cast are doing now, particularly the younger ones? (Glenda and Barry to name two) Are they still acting or in the public eye?

Mike Grady [Barry] who is now a not so young 74 is still acting he turned up in an episode of Endeavour[ Inspector Morse in his early days] and Shakespeare and Hathaway [ A daytime detective set in an around Stratford it's a very light humorous detective series and if you have been to Stratford and surrounding area its worth a watch to spot the locations] last year .He continues to voice a character in the exported version of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends shown in the US.

Sarah Thomas [Glenda] is 68 did a lot of theatre post LOTSW and Pantomime but there nothing since about 2011 though she may have still done theatre in lesser productions which didn't get press coverage .

Brian Murphy [Alvin] a sprightly 88 still acts in the odd role I remember a series called the Cafe set is Weston Super Mare which was a very gentle watch but he was in a series called Man Down with Greg Davies which I thought was hilarious and has been in Casualty and Holby City his latest role is unsurprisingly "Old Man" in something called Mighty Six which is from this year.

Russ Abbot is 73 no longer a Spy starred in a great series Boomers which I really enjoyed but the BEEB binned it just like they did with LOTSW and Warren . He again may do some theatre but there are no reports in the press for him perhaps he decided to just retire.

Their ages just bring home the stark reality that time is marching on no longer qualify as the younger ones. :(

I think I spotted another LOTSW character at about 7:30 minutes, the man at the front of the minibus who forgot his kendal mint cake.
Well spotted Roger, he was the man cursed by the Wormley Witches if you recall!!!!

I saw that series and wasn't impressed but it was nice to see Robert.

Mike Grady [Barry] who is now a not so young 74 is still acting he turned up in an episode of Endeavour[ Inspector Morse in his early days] and Shakespeare and Hathaway [ A daytime detective set in an around Stratford it's a very light humorous detective series and if you have been to Stratford and surrounding area its worth a watch to spot the locations] last year .He continues to voice a character in the exported version of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends shown in the US.

Sarah Thomas [Glenda] is 68 did a lot of theatre post LOTSW and Pantomime but there nothing since about 2011 though she may have still done theatre in lesser productions which didn't get press coverage .

Brian Murphy [Alvin] a sprightly 88 still acts in the odd role I remember a series called the Cafe set is Weston Super Mare which was a very gentle watch but he was in a series called Man Down with Greg Davies which I thought was hilarious and has been in Casualty and Holby City his latest role is unsurprisingly "Old Man" in something called Mighty Six which is from this year.

Russ Abbot is 73 no longer a Spy starred in a great series Boomers which I really enjoyed but the BEEB binned it just like they did with LOTSW and Warren . He again may do some theatre but there are no reports in the press for him perhaps he decided to just retire.

Their ages just bring home the stark reality that time is marching on no longer qualify as the younger ones. :(

I don't remember Brian Murphy being in Casualty, unless it was quiet a while ago, and I must get watching Shakespeare and Hathaway, as I've heard lots of good things about it.

I saw that series and wasn't impressed but it was nice to see Robert.
I did watch it and I wanted to jump through the screen and applaud the father for taking his stand and tell him to hire a good lawyer (solicitor) to set up a couple of foundations, and as soon as the kids are out of school, go on a vacation to a distant island -- but not to have fun in the sun -- but to make serious plans without the paparazzi and that corporate jerk interfering.

I don't remember Brian Murphy being in Casualty, unless it was quiet a while ago, and I must get watching Shakespeare and Hathaway, as I've heard lots of good things about it.
I've watched a few but didn't find it too good. I think the ones l saw were heavily edited.
They did that with Taggart, they cut a 2 hour program down to an hour and it was horrendous.

I must get watching Shakespeare and Hathaway, as I've heard lots of good things about it.

Its definitely on the light end of detective shows, lots of humourous plots that are not the most intricate so don't expect a gritty drama . Having been to Stratford several times and my sister lives there I decided to watch it to spot the locations . I mentioned it to my sister and she is now hooked particularly as she knows the area so well. If you want a light entertainment show for 45 minutes of easy daytime viewing its the show for you.

Its definitely on the light end of detective shows, lots of humourous plots that are not the most intricate so don't expect a gritty drama . Having been to Stratford several times and my sister lives there I decided to watch it to spot the locations . I mentioned it to my sister and she is now hooked particularly as she knows the area so well. If you want a light entertainment show for 45 minutes of easy daytime viewing its the show for you.
You got it right Captain, being a Mark Benton fan I was interested in it when searching for something to watch. We started at episode 1 and now watch it every night in sequence.

being a Mark Benton fan

Like him in lots of things but my favourite role is Eddie in Early Doors which I think is a brilliant show written by Craig Cash and Phil Mealey . Set in a pub the action never moves from the pub or accommodation upstairs there are only a dozen characters with others who come in for the odd episode but it is so well written .

It must be so difficult to write a 30 minute comedy about a few characters in a pub and make it funny with a little pathos thrown in but they managed it . I have watched it so many times I was sad when it ended but in the end less is more .

I am pleased I own the DVD's and can watch when I want though it does get repeated on Gold sometimes . Its like every local boozer you might know or remember with its regular barflies . The two policemen are the antipathy of what the Police really are and their "schemes" and " policing " is jaw droppingly bad but so so funny . IF you haven't seen it try and get a copy to watch or check up online . :)

Like him in lots of things but my favourite role is Eddie in Early Doors which I think is a brilliant show written by Craig Cash and Phil Mealey . Set in a pub the action never moves from the pub or accommodation upstairs there are only a dozen characters with others who come in for the odd episode but it is so well written .

It must be so difficult to write a 30 minute comedy about a few characters in a pub and make it funny with a little pathos thrown in but they managed it . I have watched it so many times I was sad when it ended but in the end less is more .

I am pleased I own the DVD's and can watch when I want though it does get repeated on Gold sometimes . Its like every local boozer you might know or remember with its regular barflies . The two policemen are the antipathy of what the Police really are and their "schemes" and " policing " is jaw droppingly bad but so so funny . IF you haven't seen it try and get a copy to watch or check up online . :)
I definitely share your comedy tastes! I first watched Early Doors an a long haul flight out of boredom and was hooked by the time I got off!!! You don't need much of a plot to write wonderful comedy as The Royale Family proves.

Did you ever catch a one off comedy called Catterick with Mark Benton, he was at his comical best in that I feel? It's on YouTube even has our very own Dora Bryan in the opening episode but completely off the wall British comedy as you'd expect with Vic & Bob

Back