Howard and Cleggys Re Housing.

Amos Hames 2

Dedicated Member
At the beginning of Das Welly Boot . Howard says to Clegg : How does it feel being re housed which Clegg Replies: Well I'm still next-door to you Howard so it's like it never happened. We were never told on Screen why they were re housed. Theory's please.

I suppose that for the purposes of the script, it was a whim of the council. For the actual reason, we'll just have to wait for Thearically_Inclined to elucidate.

I believe the owners of the original row of houses 'got greedy' & the BBC wouldn't pay that amount.

I believe the owners of the original row of houses 'got greedy' & the BBC wouldn't pay that amount.
I read that as well in one of The Summer Wine books. Also I think it was also due to the fact that the original houses didn't have a lot of room for filming equipment outside.

I suppose that for the purposes of the script, it was a whim of the council. For the actual reason, we'll just have to wait for Thearically_Inclined to elucidate.
I think you're right that was the supposition the script wanted to give. However their cottages overlooking the White Horse certainly doesn't look like typical council accommodation!!!!!

Alan Bell informed me the main reason was how tight the area was for filming, also safety was becoming more of an issue for cast and crew, they also had to be aware of the chiming clock tower when filming

It must be a difficult decision if you are approached by a film company who want to use your house for filming yes you get paid but that is not everything , it's the intrusion post filming particularly when fans find out where the houses are and turn up to take photos . I know that on a House through Time when it was shot in Summerhill, Newcastle the intrusion was so bad people turning up all hours to take photos , some even knocking on the door and asking to look around :oops: that the couple who owned it at the time of filming decided to sell up and move .

I know Hill street is a private road but does that deter people, who knows , but certainly the previous houses weren't afforded that luxury of a private road , hence as the series built viewers then so the circus of visitors would have started you do wonder did the owner ask for more money to deter the BBC from using the house because they were fed up of the intrusion .

Alan Bell informed me the main reason was how tight the area was for filming, also safety was becoming more of an issue for cast and crew, they also had to be aware of the chiming clock tower when filming
That’s interesting, Alan Bell is very clear of this story in his book, he states that the lady at one of the houses knew someone who worked in BBC Drama where they have bigger budgets for locations and essentially held Alan to ransom over the fees. He then goes on to say it worked out for the best due to access etc. I wonder whether this is the true story and Alan was giving you a diplomatic answer. Or alternatively what he told you was correct and he was embellishing the story to make his book sound more controversial and perhaps had an axe to grind?

I guess we’ll never know but whilst the AJB book is really interesting and a must read for any fan it is quite a bitter and jaundiced recollection in part.

It was the early signs of the cancer in the BBC, new blood changing things & cancelling anything perceived as old. We'll their starting to pay the price now but it's taken a long time.

I know Hill street is a private road but does that deter people, who knows , but certainly the previous houses weren't afforded that luxury of a private road , hence as the series built viewers then so the circus of visitors would have started you do wonder did the owner ask for more money to deter the BBC from using the house because they were fed up of the intrusion .
The narrow terrace in front of the houses on Back Lane is obviously private property. The back of those houses has only small bathroom windows quite high up, so that's not a tourist attraction.

Conversely, people tend to ignore "Private Road" signs, making the row of cottages above the White Horse appear to be fair game.

That’s interesting, Alan Bell is very clear of this story in his book, he states that the lady at one of the houses knew someone who worked in BBC Drama where they have bigger budgets for locations and essentially held Alan to ransom over the fees. He then goes on to say it worked out for the best due to access etc. I wonder whether this is the true story and Alan was giving you a diplomatic answer. Or alternatively what he told you was correct and he was embellishing the story to make his book sound more controversial and perhaps had an axe to grind?

I guess we’ll never know but whilst the AJB book is really interesting and a must read for any fan it is quite a bitter and jaundiced recollection in part.

No matter what the real reason, to balance the really tight filming location with chimes from a nearby clock tower versus a really wide road filming location; it was a no-brainer. Plus with Howard directly next door, there were many more situational possibilities.

Back