How not to cry at funerals and fish

Dear Captain C,

UKTV Gold seem to have let the office junior schedule the shows again. After showing some series 1 and 2 episodes out of sequence (possibly due to changes resulting from the passing and funeral of Her Majesty) this week they have started showing the specials, apparently in order ...

One of the things they hid behind when I first pointed out issues was licensing which I found really strange, as Maltrab[Terry] alluded to the BBC are effectively UK Gold and not just silent partners so unless they have relinquished some of the licences for some episodes I was somewhat perplexed by their initial response . I have no real handle on TV show licensing , you do witness movement between channels of shows some of the streaming channels [ignoring Britbox which is BBC/ITV/C4] like Netflix , Amazon Prime show terrestrial shows of old which I assume they have purchased a licence but often not exclusive rights so the shows can still be seen on other channels like UK Gold etc.

Today we are back on track with Series 1 episode 6 and Series 2 episode one but looking ahead at the schedule its a mix of series 2 and specials. In former years they pick a date that allows them to show all specials up to Christmas day, in order, on a daily basis but it would appear to be too soon to be showing them now, unless they have decided this year to mix it up with normal series episodes and specials through to Christmas.

One of the things they hid behind when I first pointed out issues was licensing which I found really strange, as Maltrab[Terry] alluded to the BBC are effectively UK Gold and not just silent partners so unless they have relinquished some of the licences for some episodes I was somewhat perplexed by their initial response . I have no real handle on TV show licensing , you do witness movement between channels of shows some of the streaming channels [ignoring Britbox which is BBC/ITV/C4] like Netflix , Amazon Prime show terrestrial shows of old which I assume they have purchased a licence but often not exclusive rights so the shows can still be seen on other channels like UK Gold etc.

Today we are back on track with Series 1 episode 6 and Series 2 episode one but looking ahead at the schedule its a mix of series 2 and specials. In former years they pick a date that allows them to show all specials up to Christmas day, in order, on a daily basis but it would appear to be too soon to be showing them now, unless they have decided this year to mix it up with normal series episodes and specials through to Christmas.
BBC, well BBC studios fully own the UK Gold brand along with several other channels, which is why as a seperate business it is making serious money, as most of it's output was paid for by the licence payer and cost them nothing, the money they make is used to make new TV shows and they sell it to the BBC and other channels

Back