How many UK Members watched the pilot episode live?

JBCat

Dedicated Member
Just wondering how many people here (this would be limited to UK members) actually saw the pilot episode live when it was broadcast as an episode of "Comedy Playhouse" on 4 January 1973, and realised then what a gem it was?
I can't include myself in that number, I was more likely to have been listening to my Stackridge albums (favourite group at that time)! (Anyone else remember them? "Marzo Plod" sounds a little bit like a Somerset Compo :) )

I didn't see the Pilot but I did see Stackridge for the very first time supporting Wishbone Ash. I still own the vinyl copy ,which I bought the day after the gig, and now also stream the first album one of my favourite albums ever and a contender for best first album ever[ up there with the LA's who are cited by everyone] . Rock on Percy the Penguin and has Dora done with Exploring , well she must be getting on in age now .:)

I did not see it but I recall my Dad talking about it, I watched a couple of the first series episodes with him and did not take much notice at the time, well I was in my early 20's and was more into pop music at that time

I did not see it but I recall my Dad talking about it, I watched a couple of the first series episodes with him and did not take much notice at the time, well I was in my early 20's and was more into pop music at that time
I can see you booging on down in your Oxford bags, high heel angle boots and v neck t-shirt with collar wings.

Wow Oxford bags I remember them with fondness , coupled for a while with a Bowling shirt with Eat at Joe Velluci's stencilled on the back , the strides had to have turnups as well , happy days. The fashion has now gone the complete reverse it all skinny jeans and trousers , suits that look a size to small that Norman Wisdom would wear in one of his films . I worked for a short time in a boutique and tailors in Newcastle when I was at School/College and all my money went on clothes , thankfully we got discount so bought things all the time. Thanks for the reminder Pearl:)

Last edited:
I was only a glimmer in my fathers eye then!

On the subject of pilots, they don't do them these days, not sure why and not sure whether that's a good or bad thing?

Wow Oxford bags I remember them with fondness , coupled for a while with a Bowling shirt with Eat and Joe Velluci's stencilled on the back , the strides had to have turnups as well , happy days. The fashion has now gone the complete reverse it all skinny jeans and trousers , suits that look a size to small that Norman Wisdom would wear in one of his films . I worked for a short time in a boutique and tailors in Newcastle when I was at School/College and all my money went on clothes , thankfully we got discount so bought things all the time. Thanks for the reminder Pearl:)
We all looked like parachutists, my ankles never got over falling off my blocks.

Terry - I think your early experience of watching LOTSW is probably the majority one. For me, being more interested in listening to music than watching TV, I tended to watch the programmes my mother liked, but sadly LOTSW was not one of the ones she was into.

Captain - great to read your reminiscences of Stackridge. I first heard of them through their single Slark/Purple Spaceships over Yatton and played it so much it nearly wore out, then saw them when they played in Aberdeen in autumn '72, loved their first 3 albums. Lucky you seeing Wishbone Ash and Stackridge on the same bill! I also saw Wishbone Ash but on a different occasion, a very fine band also.

Wishbone Ash still touring but as two bands one led by Martin Turner and the other by Andy Powell if I venture to see them it would definitely be the latter version . Whilst Martin was a great bass player and nominal vocalist it would have to be Andy Powell and that Flying V guitar for me. Sadly looks like Stackridge have called it a day but never say never [I hope] .

Back