How important is the setting?

bigcat

I'm on the other side of the pond and I enjoy any historical British setting. From Sherlock's London to Wodehouse's Castles, they add to the enjoyment. I get the same basic feeling with the setting of Last of the Summer Wine since all these settings are unfamiliar to me.
For folks on the right side of the Atlantic, does Summer Wine Country have a certain magic to it or is it a more standard setting that is familiar to folks already? Would it be mostly the same if it was set in another location?

The last few series were filmed in HD and the views were spectacular. Not sure if you can get Father Brown in the US, it may well be on BritBox, but that is set in The Cotswolds which is an equally stunning location in my opinion. If you can find it, it's a very gentle Murder Mystery series based on the books of GK Chesterton.

That part of England is lovely - but typically for West Yorkshire, you have amazing countryside with settlements nestling in the valleys. Some big (like Huddersfield) some small (like Hepworth). When Summer Wine started the towns and villages, being old mill settlements, would be grubby compared to the glorious countryside. That contrast was lost as the mills closed right down, and in particular Holmfirth was smartened up. But for me Northern villages are wonderful. Having said which, midwinter the place can be downright inhospitable; there are lights to warn you if the road to Greenfield is closed due to snow. You wouldn't record an Xmas special at Xmas!

The last few series were filmed in HD and the views were spectacular. Not sure if you can get Father Brown in the US, it may well be on BritBox, but that is set in The Cotswolds which is an equally stunning location in my opinion. If you can find it, it's a very gentle Murder Mystery series based on the books of GK Chesterton.

The same goes for the top murder county of the UK in Midsomer Murders.

Northumbrland north of me in Newcastle is a great county and was and is indeed being featured in Robson Green's Great Escapes currently series 2 is available on BBC IPlayer, its a pity he is presenting but if you can ignore that then its a great advert for the North.

Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions. It does confirm that this part of the world has a certain magic too it and it isn't just my imagination or that I'm at a remove from it.

AFAIK Summer Wine was unusual for a sitcom in having lots of location scenes and the setting was far from standard. The town and surrounding countryside were a character in themselves.

Back