How do you pronounce it ??

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
My daughter and I are booked to stay in FOWEY in September .Every time I try to explain to anyone they always want to correct my pronunciation,I feel its pronounced FOY ! I 'm told no its FOW-EE . yet another is FOO-EE. I wonder if the honourable member from KERNOW can help me out please?:08:

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
A village up the road from us is called Peover. There’s Peover, Peover Superior, Peover Heath and Peover Inferior. I’m often stopped by someone looking for Pee-over and not Peever.
The nearby town of BOLSOVER is called by the locals as BOSER?

Marianna

Dedicated Member
My daughter and I are booked to stay in FOWEY in September .Every time I try to explain to anyone they always want to correct my pronunciation,I feel its pronounced FOY ! I 'm told no its FOW-EE . yet another is FOO-EE. I wonder if the honourable member from KERNOW can help me out please?:08:
"FOO-EE"?? As in, "those excuses are a lot of phooey."

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
If we are looking at other pronunciation ,the one that always raises a smile is FEATHERSTONEHAUGH. Pronounced FANSHAW ??:confused2:
!! The post that you that you queried must be some kind of hiccup from my previous post !.You okayed that one all right.! ferret

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
We could almost start a list of how we pronounce local names. Not too far from me are Rainworth and Blidworth. Called by the locals as Renuth and Bliduth ! :confused2: