House update 2

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
This week the central heating,boiler and plumbing is being installed, the house is really in a sorry state at the moment with many floorboards up and holes in walls, but by Sunday that job should be complete,Today the gas bottles will be fitted and the whole system commissioned next Thursday, the next project will be to get the insulation under the floors downstairs installed and the new floors fitted, the loft cleared of old insulation, along with updating the electrical consumer unit and extra power sockets, then in a few weeks time the plaster will be in.

Then the fun begins as very hard decisions will have to be made, like what colours do we want the walls painted,what doors will they want on the new kitchen, the list will go on no doubt

As long as it doesn't end like those renovation programmes we get to see, over time and over budget. Putting back the fixtures and fittings is the fun part once the destruction has finished. MrsJ and I once spent a couple of nights with an ironing board propped against a piece of ply in the back door space, as the door wasn't there and she needed some sort of burglar alarm.

This week the central heating,boiler and plumbing is being installed, the house is really in a sorry state at the moment with many floorboards up and holes in walls, but by Sunday that job should be complete,Today the gas bottles will be fitted and the whole system commissioned next Thursday, the next project will be to get the insulation under the floors downstairs installed and the new floors fitted, the loft cleared of old insulation, along with updating the electrical consumer unit and extra power sockets, then in a few weeks time the plaster will be in.

Then the fun begins as very hard decisions will have to be made, like what colours do we want the walls painted,what doors will they want on the new kitchen, the list will go on no doubt

As for colors, first take your cue from your floors. Are they tiled, carpeted or wood in a warm (yellow/cream/hardwoods) or cool (grey/blue/bamboo)? And, as a note, white is a neutral and goes with warm or cool. Depending on which color range (warm/cool) and your furniture colors, confidently pick your paint colors.

Seems like you are replacing a lot of the major internals - plumbing, heating, electrics, pulling up floors, replacing insulation, etc. Is the house very old? Have the previous owners just not taken care of it? Not trying to be nosy, just curious.

Cheers,
Rick

As for colors, first take your cue from your floors. Are they tiled, carpeted or wood in a warm (yellow/cream/hardwoods) or cool (grey/blue/bamboo)? And, as a note, white is a neutral and goes with warm or cool. Depending on which color range (warm/cool) and your furniture colors, confidently pick your paint colors.

For my new bathroom, kitchen, pantry/mud room and powder room, I took lino, cabinet and window/door/base trim, doors, wall/ceiling colors from the tile backsplash and shower enclosure, as that's the longest-lasting of all of the components. The tile color is "biscuit" and the cabinets and paint are as closely matched to it as the difference in sheen permits. The lino is a marbled pattern containing minor quantities of that color along with several shades of a warm taupe that the manufacturer calls "sparrow". The lino pattern and color combination, as well as the matte finish, are great for hiding dirt and smears.

The accent color in the bathroom, which is upstairs, is an herb green for its soothing effect. The accent in the remodeled downstairs rooms is clear, intense red to match the future dining room wall color, taken from the oriental rug in the living room, as there are no doors on the openings between the kitchen, dining room, and living room.

Next project (no telling when, though) will be replacing the hardwood floors throughout the rest of the house, as they're very worn and too thin to refinish. To avoid a sharp contrast, the stain will be just a bit lighter than the rather dark original bit of window, door and base trim finish that remains from former owners' attempts at "improvement". After that, I'll refinish the currently painted trim in the areas with hardwood floor and oak trim taking the color back to match the original bit. The oak trim ends at the top of the stairs, just out of sight of the front entry, replaced with paint-grade wood, which will be repainted to match the lightest bit of grain in the refinished oak trim, again to avoid an abrupt contrast.

The wall/ceiling colors in the living and dining room, as well as the upholstery fabric, will be taken from the living room rug, using its pale cream on the walls/ceiling in the north-facing living room, up the open staircase and continuing throughout the upstairs hall. Each bedroom will have its own color scheme, all from the warm end of the spectrum. A soothing green for my bedroom taken from a lamp that I use there, pale yellow for the small north-facing room that I use for sewing, taken from a print of Hopper's "Girl At a Sewing Machine" that hangs in that room. Probably a soothing green for the guest room, as well. In each room, I'll probably use a slightly darker and much glossier version of the wall color for the wood trim, as low contrast is much more restful than high contrast.

First I have to recover financially and psychologically from the 6-month remodeling that's just been completed! I'm happy with the result and relieved that I got through it without having even one melt-down.

Seems like you are replacing a lot of the major internals - plumbing, heating, electrics, pulling up floors, replacing insulation, etc. Is the house very old? Have the previous owners just not taken care of it? Not trying to be nosy, just curious.

Cheers,
Rick

Hi Rick

The house is around 250 years old,it has be vacant and without any heating for over 2 years,the house for many years belonged to the water board and they had an employee living there and I don't think the owners spent much money on the place

Terry

Not my decision re colours,I suspect they will be light as there is not a great deal of natural light

Wow, Terry!

Going by your picture of it I never would have guessed the house was that old. That is one of the things I really like about your side of the pond. The history and old world charm. Hope I used that expression correctly. I certainly can see now why all the restoration would be needed. Amazing to have such a nice piece of history. The stories I bet it could tell. Anyway, I think it is great what you and your daughter are doing. It is a bit sad at times when a nice older building gets knocked down just to make way for a newer one. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Rick

Wow, Terry!

Going by your picture of it I never would have guessed the house was that old. That is one of the things I really like about your side of the pond. The history and old world charm. Hope I used that expression correctly. I certainly can see now why all the restoration would be needed. Amazing to have such a nice piece of history. The stories I bet it could tell. Anyway, I think it is great what you and your daughter are doing. It is a bit sad at times when a nice older building gets knocked down just to make way for a newer one. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Rick

It's a bit mind-blowing that although it was built around 1765, which is old for North America, it's barely middle-aged for Great Britain.

Last edited:
Back