Holmfirth trip planning. Many questions, help is welcome.

From Holmfirth you are about the middle of either the West Coast Main Line and the East Coast Main Line plus you have the Cross Country trains, all serving Scotland from Main stations nearby, the best deals are normally if you book in advance 10-14 days,sometimes a return can be cheaper than a single ticket, plus on the LNER East Coast routes for a few pounds more you can go 1st Class and they include food and drink within the ticket price.
https://www.lner.co.uk/
https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/
https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/
You can also order tickets in advance from https://www.thetrainline.com/ and pick them up at the first ticket machine you come to after your plane lands. At MAN, that will be just as you enter the airport rail station. At GLA, you'd probably take the bus to the city center (https://www.glasgowairport.com/to-and-from/bus/), so you wouldn't pass an automatic ticket machine and pick up your rail tickets until you were ready to depart on your first rail journey.

You can also order tickets in advance from https://www.thetrainline.com/ and pick them up at the first ticket machine you come to after your plane lands. At MAN, that will be just as you enter the airport rail station. At GLA, you'd probably take the bus to the city center (https://www.glasgowairport.com/to-and-from/bus/), so you wouldn't pass an automatic ticket machine and pick up your rail tickets until you were ready to depart on your first rail journey.

The only issue I have with thetrainline.com Marianna is they are just a re-seller of the train companies products, and I have compared them with buying tickets direct from the operators and they are always 10 to 15 % more expensive, which is where they are making their money from as a business, they do a lot of advertising here,so that is where many folk go to buy their tickets as it is a easy site to use and they are not aware they are paying more

The only issue I have with thetrainline.com Marianna is they are just a re-seller of the train companies products, and I have compared them with buying tickets direct from the operators and they are always 10 to 15 % more expensive, which is where they are making their money from as a business, they do a lot of advertising here,so that is where many folk go to buy their tickets as it is a easy site to use and they are not aware they are paying more
I just checked the first of my rail journeys for the next trip, Manchester Airport to Skipton. The ticket price is the same whether it's purchased from Transpennine Express or from Trainline. The latter charges a £1.02 booking fee for a £34.10 ticket. If you're traveling around enough to use several rail companies and you order tickets in advance from those companies, can you pick up all of your tickets from the same machine? I like to have all of them in hand at the start of my holiday, and I avoid having them on my phone. The rail companies won't mail outside the UK, and lately Trainline doesn't, either.

The only ticket I've ever tried to carry on my phone was a National Express Hotel Hoppa ticket from any LHR terminal to the Premier Inn on Bath Road at the end closest to T3. I activated the ticket while I was inside the terminal and had good Wi-Fi. By the time I got out to the bus stop less than a minute later, the ticket had vanished. I went back inside to re-access it, and the system told me that it was no longer available. I was out only £5 on that one, but I'll never put a ticket on my phone again.

I just checked the first of my rail journeys for the next trip, Manchester Airport to Skipton. The ticket price is the same whether it's purchased from Transpennine Express or from Trainline. The latter charges a £1.02 booking fee for a £34.10 ticket. If you're traveling around enough to use several rail companies and you order tickets in advance from those companies, can you pick up all of your tickets from the same machine? I like to have all of them in hand at the start of my holiday, and I avoid having them on my phone. The rail companies won't mail outside the UK, and lately Trainline doesn't, either.

The only ticket I've ever tried to carry on my phone was a National Express Hotel Hoppa ticket from any LHR terminal to the Premier Inn on Bath Road at the end closest to T3. I activated the ticket while I was inside the terminal and had good Wi-Fi. By the time I got out to the bus stop less than a minute later, the ticket had vanished. I went back inside to re-access it, and the system told me that it was no longer available. I was out only £5 on that one, but I'll never put a ticket on my phone again.

Yes the rail companies will let you collect tickets from ticket machines, if you buy your ticket from the trainline.com your contract is with them, so if the train company have an issue,then trying to get any compensation from trainline is almost impossible, yet the main rail companies will do their best to get you where you need to be,or pay for accommodation if you end up stuck due to their fault, there seems to be many issues with the trainline and getting any help from their customer services, just something to bear in mind when using them

Yes the rail companies will let you collect tickets from ticket machines, if you buy your ticket from the trainline.com your contract is with them, so if the train company have an issue,then trying to get any compensation from trainline is almost impossible, yet the main rail companies will do their best to get you where you need to be,or pay for accommodation if you end up stuck due to their fault, there seems to be many issues with the trainline and getting any help from their customer services, just something to bear in mind when using them
All of my rail journeys for the upcoming trip are on TransPennine Express and Northern Rail, so I'm researching National Express coach routes to avoid those rail lines. Neither line has any customer service to speak of (except to swear at), so if I decide to risk traveling by rail, I'll buy through Traveline because their web site is navigable, unlike either of the rail lines, and they accept PayPal, so I can avoid giving my credit card info to companies that I don't trust.

The only time there's been a problem with a train for which I've held a ticket purchased through Trainline, I've received exactly the same service as all the other passengers. That was two years ago, the day that all of the north-bound lines from Euston were out of service. The lines from Kings Cross were operating normally and their operating companies had offered to honor tickets for trains from Euston, so I nipped out to the bus station in front of Euston Station, boarded the next #205 bus that came along, then hurried into the station and boarded a train for Leeds (instead of Manchester Piccadilly, for which I held a ticket), and changed there for Huddersfield to get the bus to Holmfirth. Arrived in Holmfirth about when I had expect to.

Luckily you weren't travelling yesterday Marianna . In certain areas UK wide there was a power outage and Network Rail had all sorts of issues with signalling . There was total chaos in London and in various parts of the Country I imagine there are still issues with rail travel that will ensue over coming days . Two generators in the National Grid failed simultaneously causing random outages country wide for example Traffic Lights failed throughout Bradford City Centre and it is described as Grand Theft Auto like at every junction .

Luckily you weren't travelling yesterday Marianna . In certain areas UK wide there was a power outage and Network Rail had all sorts of issues with signalling . There was total chaos in London and in various parts of the Country I imagine there are still issues with rail travel that will ensue over coming days . Two generators in the National Grid failed simultaneously causing random outages country wide for example Traffic Lights failed throughout Bradford City Centre and it is described as Grand Theft Auto like at every junction .
Does everyone have their electricity back now? I hope anyone who is dependent on it, for example to power their oxygen supply, has a backup source of electricity. On a personal level, I'm glad I wasn't on a train or, even worse, on the Tube!

Actually, I wouldn't be anywhere this time of year that required buying an airline ticket. The fares are ridiculous this time of year. That's why I limit my travel to early spring and late fall.

I think they restored after a couple of hours yesterday but with transport there's always an ongoing effect until they catch up . It appears for safety reasons and because the trains had stopped people were asked to leave the stations in Central London presumably to seek overnight accommodation or return home to then travel today assuming they add extra trains .

I think they restored after a couple of hours yesterday but with transport there's always an ongoing effect until they catch up . It appears for safety reasons and because the trains had stopped people were asked to leave the stations in Central London presumably to seek overnight accommodation or return home to then travel today assuming they add extra trains .
Apparently there were too many cancelled trains to make it practical to lay on buses as substitute transport? When it's only a dozen or so trains, it doesn't usually take more than half an hour to bring in a sufficient number of buses. At least that was my experience the first time I traveled from London to Nuneaton. After the train stopped in Milton Keynes it couldn't continue because of an engine on fire just beyond the station. The train I was on was the last one that passengers were able to leave, because it had been able to pull forward far enough to align the front carriage with the very end of the platform. The passengers on the trains stopped behind mine were stuck in their carriages until the track could be cleared and their trains could move up to the platform.

It seemed like forever, but actually it was only about half an hour before the replacement buses showed up and I was on my way around the fire to Northampton Station to continue the rail journey. Yesterday, I wonder how many rail passengers simply pulled up the National Express app on their phones, found TFL bus transport to their destinations, and took the local bus system or a taxi to the terminal near Victoria Station. Although given that the traffic lights weren't working, it might have been both safer and quicker to walk, even a very long distance.

Early in my travel life, I arrived at Manchester Airport and blithely showed up at the airport rail station expecting to buy a ticket to Mirfield, where I had a reservation for that night. This was just before privatization of the rail lines, and all of the train crews were on strike to try to go into private employment with the best pay and working conditions they could negotiate as a baseline for dealing with their new private employers. The harassed-looking, poorly informed youngster at the information table directed me to the bus station, but had no idea how to get to Mirfield. He knew enough to recommend the bus to Leeds, so I boarded it. After a while on the road the bus took the exit ramp for Huddersfield, which I thought I recalled having seen on the map not too far from Mirfield. I got off the bus when it stopped in front of the rail station there and picked up a taxi from the stand, which took me to Mirfield.

That chalked a good one up to experience! Now it takes a lot to leave me feeling bewildered and helpless about transport.

I traveled yesterday towards London, my route is only one train a day each way, and I was concerned it would not run, a LNER train with a start time of 05.30 from the depot and 07.00 from the station, but all was well, though the return trip was very busy as the trains on my route from London before and after my departure had been cancelled, so many folk were using this train to take them part way of their journey

There's a Cashpoint in Holmfirth at Barclays Bank on Victoria Square

Sadly not for long the Barclays Bank in Holmfirth is on the list of closures announced today . It appears the only bank now left is Wainwrights owned by Auntie so good luck with that . It has a cash machine but you put your card in , tap £30 you are issued with £15 and a voucher to the value of £15 which can be used in store in exchange for goods ............... or used with additional cash to purchase any items , I think we know which option you'll be encouraged to use.:)

As we all head (Well Pushed) into the digital currency route, there will be no need for banks, I live in a spot where I am about the youngest of 600 people, now I know that 50% of the folk around here don't have internet or smart phones, so their only chance is the nearest post office for day to day banking, the post office in a village store is 5 miles away and they are due to retire this year, making the next nearest about 7 mile each way, about 20% of the local don't drive and rely on neighbours or the weekly bus for shopping etc, so I am not sure how this sorry state of banking will help many folk over a certain age

As we all head (Well Pushed) into the digital currency route, there will be no need for banks, I live in a spot where I am about the youngest of 600 people, now I know that 50% of the folk around here don't have internet or smart phones, so their only chance is the nearest post office for day to day banking, the post office in a village store is 5 miles away and they are due to retire this year, making the next nearest about 7 mile each way, about 20% of the local don't drive and rely on neighbours or the weekly bus for shopping etc, so I am not sure how this sorry state of banking will help many folk over a certain age
It's a difficult one, I have recently returned from Norway which wants to be the first cashless society in the world. Some of the shops don't even accept cash but the older folks seemed to embrace it there. I do get the issue about worries about fraud and lack of understanding of technology, but I have seen cases first hand where older people have been directly targeted in burglaries as they are often keeping large sums of cash at home.

Sadly not for long the Barclays Bank in Holmfirth is on the list of closures announced today . It appears the only bank now left is Wainwrights owned by Auntie so good luck with that . It has a cash machine but you put your card in , tap £30 you are issued with £15 and a voucher to the value of £15 which can be used in store in exchange for goods ............... or used with additional cash to purchase any items , I think we know which option you'll be encouraged to use.:)
My reply was in 2019 — nearly a lifetime ago in terms of the rapidity of change.

There are some eateries and merchants that accept only cash, especially for small purchases. Otherwise, I use a credit card that doesn't charge back the currency exchange fee. I carry nearly all of my cash hidden on my person (shades of Compo), keeping only enough in my wallet for the day's purchases.

My reply was in 2019 — nearly a lifetime ago in terms of the rapidity of change.

There are some eateries and merchants that accept only cash, especially for small purchases. Otherwise, I use a credit card that doesn't charge back the currency exchange fee. I carry nearly all of my cash hidden on my person (shades of Compo), keeping only enough in my wallet for the day's purchases.
Not sure if it's the same in the US, but I've noticed a significant shift away from cash since Covid. You're right in the past it was generally frowned upon to make small purchases with cards, that's not the case anymore. From what I can recall from my trip last year to Holmfirth, I think I used my card or mobile phone via Apple Pay for every single purchase. Even small independents on market stalls all accept card payments now. I know many rue the move away from cash, personally I find it much safer, convenient and I no longer build up lots of annoying small change !

I have noticed that some restaurants and bars are eager to have you set up a tab . I was told in one its because if you pay by card the vendor pays a transaction charge of 50p for each one which doesn't seem a lot but if you ordered 6 drinks they lose £3 multiply that by say 20 people in a small independent bar and that's £60 which is a significant amount.

Not sure if it's the same in the US, but I've noticed a significant shift away from cash since Covid. You're right in the past it was generally frowned upon to make small purchases with cards, that's not the case anymore. From what I can recall from my trip last year to Holmfirth, I think I used my card or mobile phone via Apple Pay for every single purchase. Even small independents on market stalls all accept card payments now. I know many rue the move away from cash, personally I find it much safer, convenient and I no longer build up lots of annoying small change !
Good point Barry re the small change, though saying that, it was great to go through all you pockets and find you had more money than you thought you had. Its is all a move to get us onto digital currency, though I was unaware that for many years, every note we spend is tracked by the serial number, they know you had it and when you give it to someone else, when they spend it, they know who you gave it to when they spend it or put it in the bank

Back