Holmfirth Protest in Yorkshire Post

I am afraid all large supermarkets are bully's and will get their own way eventually as we have seen all over Norfolk.

Same here in Bangor, although i live in a small village in between Bangor and Caernarfon, they are 4 miles either way from me.
Within a two mile area of Bangor we have:

Morrisons,
Marks & Spencer
Tesco
Iceland (High Street)
Lidl (High Street)
Waitrose

Six supermarkets and two are on the high street!!
Like in many town centres throught the UK, many shops that were there when i first moved here in 1988 are now gone, boarded up or converted to betting shops and pound/charity shops and the ones i still can't believe, is the demise of Woolworth and the markets where i'm sure many of us older members, would spend our "spence" each Saturday, the cinema that had been there for over 70 odd years has also been demolished, with new student accomodation replacing where it was.

I fear that we are probably on a hiding to nothing guys, with Agenda21 and Common Purpose (please google) having been active for several decades, the local councils throughout the UK are in cahoots with the supermarkets, so it's pretty much a done deal.
The supermarkets "invest" in new various local projects, such as schools, community centres and the odd council buildings, in return for planning permission.
The supermarkets stock pretty much everything we need, buying in bulk at their prices to the producers, it will get to the stage where one supermarket chain (Tesco) will absorb the smaller ones, Lidl, Waitrose, et al, then they will have full control of where we shop and then they can pretty much charge what they want.

G ; )

Over time I hear about things regarding Holmfirth losing its authenticity. I have heard stories about how some of the Summer Wine tourist attractions a decreasing and now something like this. I am so anxious to visit Holmfirth but with two kids and my wife in school I am in no position to travel across the pond any time soon. I only hope a lot of the summer wine landmarks and attractions will still be there in 4-5 years, when I see myself actually being able to spend good quality time there.

However, I am confused by the article. It seems like the shop owners in Holmfirth actually wanted Tesco to move into the town limits. There is a similar problem in America with big businesses moving into small towns and exhausting the small family-owned businesses. However, in this case the small businesses don't want the big business anywhere in the area at all.

"It seems like the shop owners in Holmfirth actually wanted
Tesco to move into the town limits."

Yes, because the chosen location is a bit beyond walking
distance of H'firth downtown, so folks will have to drive (!!!)
from H'firth over toward New Mill to the Tesco, thus turning
their backs on all the great shops IN H'firth town. That means
that all the in-town shops (bakeries, veg shops, etc) will
slowly die because everyone will be driving away from
H'firth to the new Tesco.

Before you criticize this, you really need to live and shop
in a small UK village such as Holmfirth. You CANNOT compare
this to the typical US city that is ringed with huge shopping
malls.

Does that help??

Before you criticize this, you really need to live and shop
in a small UK village such as Holmfirth. You CANNOT compare
this to the typical US city that is ringed with huge shopping
malls.

Does that help??

Yes I understand the situation a bit better know. Please don't think I was criticizing it. I was just trying to get a better understanding. My posts are often that of an American trying to see the whole picture of things from across the pond. That is why I ask such questions!

I live in a town , a bit bigger than Holmfirth and we are having ideas of new developments all the time: the problem is that traders move into the new development leaving empty shops somewhere else - there never seems to be enough business to fill all the potential retail spaces. And once you have driven to an out of town shopping area you tend to ignore the lcoal shops. I had to go to a large shopping park the other day for a commodity that was just not available "off the peg" locally (very large frame for a poster actually) but once there the temptation is to do all the shopping in the area. Thus I can understand the concern fo Holmfirth traders.

I think the SW landmarks will be there for some time to come however ....

In our town we have two large Tescos a Morrissons a Lidl an Aldi and we are supposed to be getting a Waitrose.The town centre mall is just about keeping going with the rest of the shopping area dying on its feet.Our council keeps trying to start an extension of a smaller centre but has had to put it on hold due to the resecion,we have out of town shopping centres but only one of these is thriving .I was at the larger Tesco in November doing a Lifeboat collection for two days and the footfall was quite low maybe people are starting to rebel against them as our Morrissons is always busy.I agree how these big stores are killing off the independants but also councils are not helping these small stores by charging high rates etc what a mess our country is in.

Back