Holmfirth in the sixties

chris

Dedicated Member
Today I watched a dvd about railways in Yorkshire in the early sixties lovely shots of steam and early diesels around gods own county,one section showed a railfan trip from Leeds to the branches in the area.The train made its way to Brockholes and then up to Holmfirth and a very grubby place it was black stone weed grown track and when it departed south the area looked very run down just as I recall seeing myself at that time.Prominent at Holmfirth was the shoddy shed which provided much traffic for many years until a decline and transfer to road as much freight was doing in the sixties.I managed to buy a book about the branch complete with track and signal diagrams plus a history of the line plus some bits about the town and its industry.I have another dvd shot last year Huddersfield to Sheffield and the change in the area is amazing clean buildings,more greenery and plenty of businesses alongside the track a good sign of prosperity .But there are plenty of features from the sixties still around so you can still identify places from the sixties.

Back