Holmfirth and Yorkshire Picture #72

Do you have any idea when these dwellings and lane were built Terry because given the gradient , the materials and the fact that the building aids and the time would have been far inferior to what is available now it demonstrates the sheer determination and skill the builders of that era had . I always marvel when I visit historical buildings and areas on how the hell they managed to build such huge structures with so few building aids available .

The first bridge in Newcastle was built in Roman times and I am astounded how they managed to achieve that given the Tyne is wide and deep. Even allowing for the fact it was not perhaps the same dimensions in those days compared with the present day nevertheless , supports would have to be sunk into the river bed which is still a tricky process today.

Do you have any idea when these dwellings and lane were built Terry because given the gradient , the materials and the fact that the building aids and the time would have been far inferior to what is available now it demonstrates the sheer determination and skill the builders of that era had . I always marvel when I visit historical buildings and areas on how the hell they managed to build such huge structures with so few building aids available .

The first bridge in Newcastle was built in Roman times and I am astounded how they managed to achieve that given the Tyne is wide and deep. Even allowing for the fact it was not perhaps the same dimensions in those days compared with the present day nevertheless , supports would have to be sunk into the river bed which is still a tricky process today.
I think Marianna would be the best person to ask, as she has some knowledge of the area, to me they look like early Barratt Homes

Back